Hunting dog poll

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the best all around hunting dog breed?

• Labrador retreiver

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Golden Retreiver

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Beagle

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Spaniels

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Poodle

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Setters

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Great Dane

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters
that list is pretty light on pointing breeds! I believe a Drahthaar is the most versatile hunting breed out there. Not the best at any one type of hunting, but can hang with the best in all categories. Pointing, waterfowl, tracking.

I was on a waiting list for 2 years with the WPG Club (Wirehaired Pointing Griffon), and every minute of the wait was worth it.
For those unfamiliar with the breed, they are classified as a "versatile hunting dog".
I could fill this page with stories about her, and I have tried to write about her, but I break down each time I try. I will just say that she was the best girl in the world.

Always have been partial to labs, blacks for the most part. We hunt a lot of waterfowl and pheasants well into november and sometimes december where labs seem to take the cold, especially in the water better.

I’ve owned and raised Catahoulas for almost 50 years. Used them for everything from catching wild hogs and cattle to treeing squirrels and coons. I’ve even had a couple that would work birds.

That’s a very interesting breed. After a little research on my part, it sounds like that they would be an excellent dog to have on the farm.

I've had three Beagles and found you can teach them to hunt anything. I had one that was better on birds than any bird dog. I can tell you a few stories to back up that claim.

I've had 2 seperate breeds German Shorthair Pointers and Black Labrador. My 1st GSP i bought and trained in Germany while in the Army. Was the 1st American to pass a hunting dog of any breed. My GSP's would kill every coon,possum,skunk,fox,coyote,or anything else i told him to get. Real GSP's from Europe aren't these little 55 to 65 lb males you seeing the states. Mine on a normal weight and off season was 120#. On ducks he'd dive under when the duck did and come up with it 5 to 20 yards away. A loyal well trained GSP will out hunt any breed dog as a all purpose hunting dog hands down. Seen every breed under the sun and hunted with most also. But a GSP will score on average a level 98 to 99 out of a hundred on all the different tests for the all purpose hunting trials. There isn't a breed real close to their marks. The 2nd breed is GERMAN WIREHAIRED POINTER with and average 92 to 93. Now I know this because I am a licensed NAVDA judge and have seen all breeds work. Now a specialty breed dog say duck hunting only. A Black Lab has my vote but only because I've trained and owned 4 different ones. The biggest thing for any dog is TRAINING!!! They don't learn obedience or hunting experience living in a kennel 24/7. But get any dog that will fit your needs and train it. Then you'll have a GREAT HUNTING EXPERIENCE and A good Family dog. Thats how you build memories and make your life a little easier in the field. Because we all know there isn't a better day in the field than watching a well trained dog work. But on the other side the worst memory you might have is hunting with an untrained crazy running hunting dog kicking up your birds 3 blocks ahead of the hunters
While the owner is blowing out your ears with a whistle and screaming across the field. LOL HAPPY HUNTING EVERYONE

I had a GSP when I was younger and did lots of bird hunting. Superb bird dog, of course I put in the time and raised quail, had release traps and worked with her. Miss her to this day.
I moved to Vermont and there is really not much bird hunting, except ducks and geese. I now hunt with a Wire haired fox terrier. He is he’ll on squirrels, which we have lots of.

I've had 2 seperate breeds German Shorthair Pointers and Black Labrador. My 1st GSP i bought and trained in Germany while in the Army. Was the 1st American to pass a hunting dog of any breed. My GSP's would kill every coon,possum,skunk,fox,coyote,or anything else i told him to get. Real GSP's from Europe aren't these little 55 to 65 lb males you seeing the states. Mine on a normal weight and off season was 120#. On ducks he'd dive under when the duck did and come up with it 5 to 20 yards away. A loyal well trained GSP will out hunt any breed dog as a all purpose hunting dog hands down. Seen every breed under the sun and hunted with most also. But a GSP will score on average a level 98 to 99 out of a hundred on all the different tests for the all purpose hunting trials. There isn't a breed real close to their marks. The 2nd breed is GERMAN WIREHAIRED POINTER with and average 92 to 93. Now I know this because I am a licensed NAVDA judge and have seen all breeds work. Now a specialty breed dog say duck hunting only. A Black Lab has my vote but only because I've trained and owned 4 different ones. The biggest thing for any dog is TRAINING!!! They don't learn obedience or hunting experience living in a kennel 24/7. But get any dog that will fit your needs and train it. Then you'll have a GREAT HUNTING EXPERIENCE and A good Family dog. Thats how you build memories and make your life a little easier in the field. Because we all know there isn't a better day in the field than watching a well trained dog work. But on the other side the worst memory you might have is hunting with an untrained crazy running hunting dog kicking up your birds 3 blocks ahead of the hunters
While the owner is blowing out your ears with a whistle and screaming across the field. LOL HAPPY HUNTING EVERYONE

If your dog was from Germany is was a Deutsch Kurzhaar, and not a GSP!
What test are you referring to that is out of 100? JGHV or NAVHDA?

If your dog was from Germany is was a Deutsch Kurzhaar, and not a GSP!
What test are you referring to that is out of 100? JGHV or NAVHDA?
Test would be NAVDA and you are correct on the Deutsch Kurzhaar. He was registered thru the DK Verband and was a trialed dog or Gepruft to hunt in Germany/Europe. It's is the law in all countries in Europe that you cannot hunt without a trialed dog on site. The Jagd Gebraught Hunde trial," All Purpose Hunting Dog" has more gradually events than NAVDA like Bloodtrailing and game/equipment protection or gaurd. But I still train my dogs in Deutsch and bloodtrailing since I'm a Bowhunter.

Test would be NAVDA and you are correct on the Deutsch Kurzhaar. He was registered thru the DK Verband and was a trialed dog or Gepruft to hunt in Germany/Europe. It's is the law in all countries in Europe that you cannot hunt without a trialed dog on site. The Jagd Gebraught Hunde trial," All Purpose Hunting Dog" has more gradually events than NAVDA like Bloodtrailing and game/equipment protection or gaurd. But I still train my dogs in Deutsch and bloodtrailing since I'm a Bowhunter.

The problem with comparing dogs in a NAVHDA setting, is its is an upland geared test. There is minimal tracking emphasis. You won’t see many if any Drathaars either. There is a reason they are more popular than the DKs in Germany 😜. AKC GWPs and GSPs have more pointer in them, and do great in upland hunting and field trials. They do not do as well in tracking. And a GSP will not tolerate cold weather waterfowl hunting.

Last edited:
The best dogs I've hunted over were Border Collies. That belonged to my friend.

I had three Beagles over the years and they were all great hunters. You can train a Beagle to hunter just about anything you want.

The problem with comparing dogs in a NAVHDA setting, is its is an upland geared test. There is minimal tracking emphasis. You won’t see many if any Drathaars either. There is a reason they are more popular than the DKs in Germany 😜. AKC GWPs and GSPs have more pointer in them, and do great in upland hunting and field trials. They do not do as well in tracking. And a GSP will not tolerate cold weather waterfowl hunting.
Buzby I live in Iowa and I hunted my GSP till the end of Waterfowl season every year. A neoprene vest and a heater in the blind is all that's needed. The heater was used mostly for us the hunters cause -10 with 25mph winds we got cold. Every 30 mins had to get out of boat and bust up newly formed ice. When I left the boat my GSP would whine like crazy cause I made him stay in it. Any dog hunting the late season had a vest on if you cared about your animal. The thing people don't realize is a winterized GSP with a little weight added on him is no different than a Lab. Sure Labs have hollow hairs to retain heat in water. But a winterized shorthair has extended hairs in winter plus 3,000 per inch. We went to N Dakota hunting and my 3 buddies brought their Labs with them
In 2 days of hunting the Labs all locked up due to the weather conditions and my Shorthair retrieved everyone's Ducks and geese for the next 3 days. He was never sick just tired but I took care of him like a good owner should. So I totally disagree with your opinion on GSP's.

It's amaizing to me that so few people in the US know the Spinoni Italiano. I'm on my second one and they have both been amaizing hunters but more than that they have been amaizing family members. The wirehaired pointing griffin is very close relative but the Spin is a stockier dog and a bit less high strung. listed as a versital breed and they truley can do everything except be a guard dog. Aggresive they are not!

I don't do waterfowl so the GSP is my go to hunting buddy. I cannot wear this dog out. He will hunt all day and never slow down. Even after 8 hours of upland hunting he still wants to go look for birds.

Attachments

• 20211220_112727.jpg
    20211220_112727.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 5
I agree my best friend, we have gathered a couple hundred birds together, now were getting lame and retired.

Attachments

• 20220102_143637.jpg
    20220102_143637.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 15
Back