Hunting dog poll

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

What is the best all around hunting dog breed?

• Labrador retreiver

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Golden Retreiver

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Beagle

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • Spaniels

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Poodle

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Setters

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Great Dane

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Buzby

that list is pretty light on pointing breeds! I believe a Drahthaar is the most versatile hunting breed out there. Not the best at any one type of hunting, but can hang with the best in all categories. Pointing, waterfowl, tracking.

shiner200gr

Supporter
Supporter
I was on a waiting list for 2 years with the WPG Club (Wirehaired Pointing Griffon), and every minute of the wait was worth it.
For those unfamiliar with the breed, they are classified as a "versatile hunting dog".
I could fill this page with stories about her, and I have tried to write about her, but I break down each time I try. I will just say that she was the best girl in the world.

southdakbearfan

Always have been partial to labs, blacks for the most part. We hunt a lot of waterfowl and pheasants well into november and sometimes december where labs seem to take the cold, especially in the water better.

sam-arkie

Supporter
Supporter
I’ve owned and raised Catahoulas for almost 50 years. Used them for everything from catching wild hogs and cattle to treeing squirrels and coons. I’ve even had a couple that would work birds.

Reactions: HC

HC

That’s a very interesting breed. After a little research on my part, it sounds like that they would be an excellent dog to have on the farm.

jlynch75

I've had three Beagles and found you can teach them to hunt anything. I had one that was better on birds than any bird dog. I can tell you a few stories to back up that claim.

Latest posts