Hunting dog poll

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the best all around hunting dog breed?

• Labrador retreiver

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Golden Retreiver

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Beagle

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Spaniels

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Poodle

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Setters

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Great Dane

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters
We don't hear anything about the Oldest registered retriver breed still used all over the world. Great water dogs.19th century Keepers favourets Have you ever seen a CURLY COATED RETRIEVER. Bolder than Labs and can stay all day and swim for miles .. O.D.

In UK beagles were pack dogs used for Foot Hunting Brown Hares by athletic hunters who could still run without a horse under them.The anti hunting greens managed to have it baned here along side Fox hunting ( the most efficient way of reducing the red fox preditor yet found as well as finding Horses that can give us the edge at INTERNATIONALS, QED).. O.D..

5FAEFEAE-048F-4BBF-9649-F1AEFADF160A.jpeg
this is the same picture as in my profile. He’s a goldendoodle…my wife didn’t grow up around hunting and we wanted a dog after we got married and bought our first house. So we wanted a breed that didn’t shed and I wasn’t sure that I could convince her of getting a true hunting dog breed. So we decided on the goldendoodle and I really didn’t even have the idea of taking him hunting until after I had him a couple years. I thought he’d like it because he loves hunting everything in our backyard. He also isn’t afraid of loud noises like thunder storms or fireworks, he actually whines to go outside when he hears thunder. So I finally got him out to some public land nearby that the PA state game commission stocks with pheasant. 30 minutes into our hunt, he had found and flushed this pheasant as if he had been doing it for years. I had my limit (2 birds) after about an hour of hunting. We stayed out for about 6 hours and he jumped 7-8 and found a downed bird another hunter had shot 30 minutes earlier. The other hunter didn’t have a dog and came to ask if my dog could help him find the bird. My dog found the rooster in about 2 minutes of searching. this house pet has turned out to be quite a good hunting dog with only just a little bit of scent training on my end. Take your house dog out hunting…they might surprise you. Just make sure you do some basic sit, stay, come commands and doing some e-collar training really helps too

So make your choice and have fun!
Small Munsterlander Pointer. Great field dog, great family dog. Categorized as a versatile hunting breed they will hunt all three ways, air scent like a bird dog (which they excel at), ground scent like a hound and by sight like an Airedale. Love water like a Lab. Originally from Germany, in N. America mostly found in upper midwest and southern Canada as in pheasant territory.

The rare and elusive 'Urban Boxer'. Great bird and small game killer!
I nail every "feral" cat I see, trap them with sardines and shoot em in the cage. Hate cats. This bobcat was shot with my Kentucky, legally, not n a cage. The cage is only for "feral" cats.

Attachments

• 20201031_183541.jpg
    20201031_183541.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Shot this last year deer hunting. At around 40 yards getting ready to pounce on a pen raised quail next to the quail preserve that we run out deer dogs through.

Last edited:
My Wire haired Fox Terrier is the best hunting dog I ever have owned, and I have had German Shorthair, Brittany Spaniel, Chesapeake Bay Retriever, and a beagle.
The problem with the terrier is once he gets his teeth into something, he never lets go!

Attachments

• 67BAE51C-42C3-4D9D-A531-DC775EE37336.jpeg
    67BAE51C-42C3-4D9D-A531-DC775EE37336.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I've had 2 seperate breeds German Shorthair Pointers and Black Labrador. My 1st GSP i bought and trained in Germany while in the Army. Was the 1st American to pass a hunting dog of any breed. My GSP's would kill every coon,possum,skunk,fox,coyote,or anything else i told him to get. Real GSP's from Europe aren't these little 55 to 65 lb males you seeing the states. Mine on a normal weight and off season was 120#. On ducks he'd dive under when the duck did and come up with it 5 to 20 yards away. A loyal well trained GSP will out hunt any breed dog as a all purpose hunting dog hands down. Seen every breed under the sun and hunted with most also. But a GSP will score on average a level 98 to 99 out of a hundred on all the different tests for the all purpose hunting trials. There isn't a breed real close to their marks. The 2nd breed is GERMAN WIREHAIRED POINTER with and average 92 to 93. Now I know this because I am a licensed NAVDA judge and have seen all breeds work. Now a specialty breed dog say duck hunting only. A Black Lab has my vote but only because I've trained and owned 4 different ones. The biggest thing for any dog is TRAINING!!! They don't learn obedience or hunting experience living in a kennel 24/7. But get any dog that will fit your needs and train it. Then you'll have a GREAT HUNTING EXPERIENCE and A good Family dog. Thats how you build memories and make your life a little easier in the field. Because we all know there isn't a better day in the field than watching a well trained dog work. But on the other side the worst memory you might have is hunting with an untrained crazy running hunting dog kicking up your birds 3 blocks ahead of the hunters
While the owner is blowing out your ears with a whistle and screaming across the field. LOL HAPPY HUNTING EVERYONE
Had my own line of Labs for 45 years (KC Redg) so I'm a bit biased,But Curlies can be good as can Standard Puddles. a late friend ran them for Show and Work most of his long shooting life. Under rated..The curly coat is pretty waterproof. O.D.

Back