Hunting Load Change

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and with an x7 ,not easy to steady that little guy, very impressive

The rifle was rock solid on the bench; no problem there.

Doug, The dial was engraved using using precision machinery, and the marks located using Physics, certainly no luck here. However, i still believe the shot was extremely lucky, very lucky, lucky, lucky, and could never ever be repeated............:elmer:

Ron I know better ! I have seen the shooting you have done with your Omega out of a pickup bracing off the steering wheel using sabots and pistol bullets at 200 yards ! You can shoot no doubt about it . Deer are gonna be in trouble with this new hunting load !

I have one of those Leupold scopes. It cost me an ibex, because it adjusted itself when I wasn't looking. I went to a ballistic reticle. Anyone want my adjustable one? Send me a PM.

1px.png

GFP Commission Denies Proposal to Allow for Expanded Use of Telescopic Muzzleloader Optics

CHAMBERLAIN, S.D. – The Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) Commission voted to leave current regulations in place regarding telescopics on muzzleloaders, which do not allow scopes that use magnification; 1X scopes remain legal.

The proposal initially came to the commission via the public petition process.

Surprise, the proposal didn't fly. Back to 1X scope & peep sight. Back to the old load of 250g Deep Curl, 90g Blackhorn, W209 primer, crush rib sabot.

Wow, what a let down. Maybe it will pass next year. We had a proposal this year too that didn’t pass (removal of hunter orange on ground blinds).

Well that's disappointing. For whatever it's worth we got them here in MN a couple years ago. If I remember it took three years of it getting voted down before it passed. At the time I wanted scopes but didn't feel like it was that big of a deal. Now that we have them I'd be real unhappy if I had to give them up.

For me the hardest aiming device is iron sights. Cannot focus on the front sight with old eyes. Allowing me to use 1X scope, cures being old..........;) Not allowing magnified optic, doesn't hurt my feelings. Regulation confining hunters to 1X optic, or iron sights, is fine and dandy.

An advantage of no magnification is there is no good reason to use heavy loads; one cannot sight good enough to shoot way out there. One need not put up with heavy recoil. When hunting with light loads, the main concern is using a bullet that will work at slower speeds.

Our old load uses the 250g Deep Curl, which seems to put deer down right now.

Great shooting Ron!

I don't understand these game commission... I mean for most folks, using a scope is a much better option to make a good clean kill. Must be none of them hunt, or have old eyes and try to use open sights. It will eventually pass, its just stupid how some of these folks do things. Took years and years to pass Sunday hunting in VA & WV, and I've heard of so many other asinine decisions in other states.

I have both those rifles also, but my scopes are higher power than yours. Good luck this season!

My guns need to be scoped due to the eyes. Even fairly close, wide open shots were blurry for me with open sights and peeps seemed to be image confining and I wasn't comfortable using them. I'd have to stop hunting if I had to give up the scopes.

I think every state has some glitch in their dnr divisions that makes them look absolutely stupid. Sorry for your let-down Ron.

......….. I'd have to stop hunting if I had to give up the scopes.

I think every state has some glitch in their dnr divisions that makes them look absolutely stupid. Sorry for your let-down Ron.

I think just about every state is losing hunting numbers and there are likely many factors attributed to the decline. Just as you mentioned above, you'd be one less license purchaser if you had to give up using a scope.

The one power scope cures old eyes.

Remounted the 1X scope to the Knight UltraLight, and went out to shoot it this morning. The load was 250g Deep Curl, 90g Blackhorn, short black sabot, W209 primer. The shooter used old eyes.

IMG_4298.JPG

Having to use a 1X scope isn't much of a let down. The Lehigh plug sure works good; no blow by; primers burned were 0.302" or longer.

Sometimes it seems like sighting through a one power scope is like sighting through a straw. One need be determined to succeed. A few years ago the boy wrote:
I would prefer you mount a 1950's coke bottle on mine so I can see what I'm shooting at. Maybe Talley will make you some rings.
These days i notice he is using cheaters when he reads. Still....he despises the one power scope, and still.....he uses iron sights.

This morning i made it out, and was able to shoot the Omega Dream Season with the one power scope mounted. Load was 90g Blackhorn, 250g Deep Curl, crush rib sabot, W209 primer. Was kinda pleased the last shot went into the hole of the first shot from a cold clean barrel.

IMG_4306.JPG

A couple years ago we posted how we responded to the boy's whining. Mother demonstrated for the boy how we cured his one power scope issues.

IMG_2546.JPG

IMG_2545.JPG

Well, he didn't seem to appreciate our efforts much; he wrote:
Seems like the 50’s coke bottle has a thicker bottom and would be more compact. It also seems like it would transmit light better for the early morning and evenings.

It won't be mentioned, even though it isn't what i would choose, if i had my druthers. The 1X scope allows me to shoot further than he can.

Back