Hunting Load Change

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
gfpproposal.jpg

The SD GFP Commission will finalize the change to allow magnified optics on muzzle loader rifles October 3, or 4. Previous years we hunted with iron sights, or 1X scope. For this reason our load was only good for about 150 yard. Our load sure worked good.

We put three deer in the freezer last year using 250g Deep Curl, 90g Blackhorn, crush rib sabot, W209 primer. The boy, and myself hunted with Dream Season Omega; his with an FP receiver sight, mine with 1X scope. One deer at 60 yard, one at 55 yard, and one at 140 yard.

This year, magnified optics will allow us to reach out to around 250 yard; we need a more energetic load. First look will be at 300g Deep Curl, 105g Blackhorn, crush rib sabot, W209 primer. The boy will hunt with the Dream Season Omega. He may be stubborn, and stay with the iron sights, or more likelly try a 4X scope. Me, i may give the Knight UltraLight a try with 1.5-5 scope, or maybe just stick with the Dream Season.

it seems that S.D.is getting into the modern era of bp. Glad to hear it:thumb:.All my muzzle loaders have scopes on em .# 60 year old eyes.lol

A scope only makes sense to me. Easy on the older eyes an safer, with better chance of a clean kill. Great for SD! Killed my first deer there, still remember that hunt!

Glad to hear it! We just switched to allow scopes here a couple years ago in MN. I'm sure glad they did. I appreciate a primitive season but if you're going to allow a gun that is capable of several hundred yards that's not primitive so you might as well allow someone the best chance of a clean kill. I went from a peep sight to a 4-16x and my groups sure did shrink.

Luckily the 300g Deep Curl is once again available just when we needed more longer range energy. Measuring this lot of Blackhorn find 105g = 76g

it seems that S.D.is getting into the modern era of bp. Glad to hear it:thumb:.All my muzzle loaders have scopes on em .# 60 year old eyes.lol
Wait till you/re 76 everything with open sights had to go for me.

Changed scope on both rifle from 1X to 1.5x-5x on the Omega Dream Season, and to 4X on the Omega X7. Been windy, and rain most of the week. Hard for me to get a scope sighted in when windy, and muddy.

IMG_4264.JPG

One rifle for the boy, and one for me. Went through two sets of targets; wasn't good. Seemed like the load in the OP wasn't going to do. Considered the 250g MonoFlex, but it was wind causing the accuracy issue. Stuck with the 300g Deep Curl, 105g Blackhorn, crush rib sabot, W209 primer. Target holed by three shots from the Dream Season, and two shots from the X7

IMG_4262.JPG

Neglected to mention the scopes were retrofitted to use a custom dial years ago.

rotatedcds.jpg

The dial were set on 2, and the rifles/scopes sighted in at 200 yard.

IMG_4269.JPG

Whilst hunting the dial is set at 1. This puts the bullet impact at 100 yard, and 25 yard, and about ¾" high at 50 yard, and 75 yard. This allows one to shoot quick, and accurate, if a deer is encountered at the usual ranges in timber. If a deer is seen out there aways, a range finder can be utilized, to set the dial appropriately.

IMG_4268.JPG

IMG_4270.JPG

One can dial a tad over 300 yards. Maximum range for these little rifles/load, should maybe, probably be around 250 yard.

You should have no problems at 300 yards knocking a deer on its a$$ with those loads. IMO especially a SD Whitetail. The cow elk I took last year was at 175 With a 250 grain TC shockwave and she didn't go 50 yards. Complete pass through hit her in upper third of rib cage, broadside.

Seems you are correct about the load. The hard part for me, would be hitting a deer out 300 yard in the vitals. My abilities, and my equipment aren't up to shooting that far.

Been shooting the X7 at different ranges; 75 yard, 155 yard, 180 yard, and 202 yard. One of those 'perfect' shooting day happened early this week. Cool, damp, and absolutely no breeze. Found a place with a 300 yard shot. Placed a laundry jug out out there, set the dial, and shot our new more powerful hunting load. The one and only shot ever taken at 304 yard hit the jug, and it was knocked over. Turns out, the shot was very much quite lucky. Walked out there; turned the jug over, and had my thrill for the week.

IMG_4281.JPG

IMG_4272.JPG

IMG_4375.JPG

Latest posts

Back