Hunting recommendations with CVA Accura V2.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solocam

Reaction score
What is a better practice for unloading the round and powder after a day of hunting?

1. Shoot the loaded round.
2. Open breech plug and push the round and powder out.
3. Remove the primer from the breech and place back primer the following day of hunting.

Please Advise.
Thanks Mike

I follow the #3 procedure. I leave the gun in the garage or even in my locked truck. But before Im finished I will put something over the primer hole to seal it or make it as close to sealed as I can get it. Often I roll up a piece of paper or similar and twist it into the primer pocket. If the forecast calls for high humidity I may put a piece of tape over the muzzle.

What is a better practice for unloading the round and powder after a day of hunting?

1. Shoot the loaded round.
2. Open breech plug and push the round and powder out.
3. Remove the primer from the breech and place back primer the following day of hunting.

Please Advise.
Thanks Mike
My Accura V2 .45 stays loaded ready to shoot the entire hunting season with BH 209. When I have a T7 charge I'll remove BP & clean the gun after shooting it. Then reload & be ready to shoot again until I limit out or no more room in freezer. Then the gun will get cleaned & put away empty. I love the heck outta my Accura V2. This past season I didn't hunt with anything else.

With 209 powder I do as many others here do, #3. Any other powder type in DRY weather will get the same day-end treatment. Wet or damp weather with any other powder than 209 gets the #2 treatment....why waste a bullet. I do get rid of the discarded powder though and the sabot gets used at the range.

I leave mine loaded, if I don’t take a shot I will fire off the round before I go home. Get home, clean it to make sure it is ready for my next outing. Have never had an issue with this method.

I've only hunted with my Accura once, but I leave it loaded for the 5 day season, even in snow and rain. I cover the breech with Saran Wrap if it is raining. I live in the southwest, so it isn't muggy here often, but it does seem to routinely rain and snow during hunting season. I hunted with #11 caps and 777 for years and did the same with no issues. My friend once loaded in a snow storm, and got his powder wet. He fired 7 caps at elk that day, with no boom. My Accura did misfire with BH 209 on a very cold morning at the range. Keep that breech plug clean.

I always say load her in the cold leave her in the cold shoot her in the cold. I have left muzzy's loaded for over a month and never had a FTF. Just take out the primer each time you're done hunting.

Mine all stay loaded also unless we got a bad opener and its raining. This is with BH209 powder and unfired. I probably would not do it with powders like Pyrodex. Once fired they are all cleaned within a reasonable amount if time. BH209 a day or two is fine for some people like me but with Pyro it would be cleaned the same day.

Ive left a BH209 loaded but unfired stainless rifle loaded from a early draw hunt until just before the late season. Around 2 months. Fired the load at a target to verify point of aim. Then cleaned it. No problem of any kind. It went boom like it should, It hit where it should. No rust in the bore.....This is under ideal weather and storage conditions.

I always say load her in the cold leave her in the cold shoot her in the cold. I have left muzzy's loaded for over a month and never had a FTF. Just take out the primer each time you're done hunting.
Back in Md, I'd be 100% right with ya. Now I'm in north Florida, it's hot & humid enough to hunt in shorts & a Teeshirt, then I need my cold weather gortex hunting gear from Md on for a little stretch. We could have really cold in the mornin then shorts & teeshirt by 10am. I've sized up bullets to fit my bore in the morn & by mid-day that same bullet will almost fall down or out of the barrel due to ambient temps on the barrel alone. This stuff wrecks that stuff unfortunately

Latest posts

Back