Hunting with a Single Shot Shotgun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkingeagle

Reaction score
I know I am speaking of a breach loader here, but this forum seems pretty open minded. If I am violating something here, please move or delete.
I have thought a lot over the years of venturing into the woods on an extended hunt using nothing more than a single shot smoothbore shotgun in 20 gauge. I thought that taking of legal small game and birds for the pot would be advantageous, and the ability to switch to a slug quickly should large game opportunities present themselves a huge bonus. Kind of the closest thing I can get to a muzzleloader but able to quickly and easily swap out loads to match game.
Anyone else think likeminded?
Walk

Have done the same thing although it was when I was much younger,grandparents would send me off into the woods to fetch meat for the stew pot, used either a old 410 or 20 ga. took every thing from tree rats to medium sized for leggers

Better check the regs. In Ohio it is not legal to carry shot shells while deer hunting. Don't know about other states.

In NY it is legal to carry shotgun, rife, pistol (w/permit) and bow during regular deer season. Special dates for crossbows.

I hunt small game with a Savage Model 94 M 16 gauge singleshot or my Hunter Fulton 16 gauge side/side.

Last edited:
Used a Savage Model 220B (12 gauge) with factory .410 insert for small game and even fish. Pulled out the insert and loaded a slug for deer. The notch rear "sight" and front bead at 6 O'clock would put the slug dead-center at 45 yards. Carried it for a 3-month venture. The .410 shotshells were a lot lighter than anything else and plenty for rabbit, squirrels and grouse (and an occasional fish). Took just 12, 12-gauge slugs with me.

Depends what you’re hunting. If you see the big 10 point at 150 yards, the S-S 20 ga with a bead for sighting wouldn’t be the best choice. Even with a scope there are serious limitations.

When using a shotgun I often have at least two types of loads with, maybe a pistol too if the mood strikes.

My dad has my great-grandfathers drilling? that I’d love to hunt with if the shotgun barrels weren’t Damascus steel. It’s a 12 gauge SxS with a .32 special barrel underneath. Made by The Three Barreled Gun Co of Wheeling, West Virginia.

Latest posts

Back