Hunting with a Single Shot Shotgun

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Walkingeagle, Oct 9, 2019.

Modern Muzzleloader

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

1. Oct 9, 2019 #1

Walkingeagle

Walkingeagle

Walkingeagle

I know I am speaking of a breach loader here, but this forum seems pretty open minded. If I am violating something here, please move or delete.
    I have thought a lot over the years of venturing into the woods on an extended hunt using nothing more than a single shot smoothbore shotgun in 20 gauge. I thought that taking of legal small game and birds for the pot would be advantageous, and the ability to switch to a slug quickly should large game opportunities present themselves a huge bonus. Kind of the closest thing I can get to a muzzleloader but able to quickly and easily swap out loads to match game.
    Anyone else think likeminded?
    Walk

2. Oct 9, 2019 #2

Dave James

Dave James

Dave James

Have done the same thing although it was when I was much younger,grandparents would send me off into the woods to fetch meat for the stew pot, used either a old 410 or 20 ga. took every thing from tree rats to medium sized for leggers

Walkingeagle likes this.
  3. Oct 9, 2019 #3

D55

D55

D55

Better check the regs. In Ohio it is not legal to carry shot shells while deer hunting. Don't know about other states.

4. Oct 9, 2019 #4

Walkingeagle

Walkingeagle

Walkingeagle

In Alberta it is legal.
    Walk

5. Oct 10, 2019 #5

jlynch75

jlynch75

jlynch75

In NY it is legal to carry shotgun, rife, pistol (w/permit) and bow during regular deer season. Special dates for crossbows.

I hunt small game with a Savage Model 94 M 16 gauge singleshot or my Hunter Fulton 16 gauge side/side.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  6. Oct 19, 2019 at 6:10 PM #6

Sparkitoff

Sparkitoff

Sparkitoff

Used a Savage Model 220B (12 gauge) with factory .410 insert for small game and even fish. Pulled out the insert and loaded a slug for deer. The notch rear "sight" and front bead at 6 O'clock would put the slug dead-center at 45 yards. Carried it for a 3-month venture. The .410 shotshells were a lot lighter than anything else and plenty for rabbit, squirrels and grouse (and an occasional fish). Took just 12, 12-gauge slugs with me.

Walkingeagle likes this.