Hunting with BP revolver

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacecars

Reaction score
I know I won’t have any problem killing deer and pigs with my Clements .50 caliber Ruger Old Army but what about using it on Elk? It will fire a 250 gr conical at about 1200 FPS. I will have to check legality of course but would it be capable of cleanly taking Elk size critters inside 50 yards?

It’s capable, of course it all depends on your bullet placement. I’m told that airgunning hunters have taken elk sized critters with basically the same bullet/speed/etc. the advantage they have is that those rifles are very accurate within those ranges and a careful hunter could place a bullet very precisely.
I have used a .45 Colt to kill cow elk using 255 grain and 275 grain wide flat nosed hard cast bullets. The furthest shot was less than 30 yards.
If it was me, I would pr a bit more weight for the caliber. Better sectional density for penetration… maybe something from accurate molds. A .488 around 300 grains. I bet Tom could modify either of these to suit.

F4762065-75DA-452D-90E2-E30F05B2DFC0.jpeg23BFBC4C-FE21-4068-8CA8-4172E1FB1D6B.jpeg

Shot two deer with my ROA - both small does. One was a finishing shot to the head, the other a heart shot at a standing - still deer. Honestly, the heart shot was disappointing compared to many I've shot with .45 and .50 patched balls in rifles. Just sayin'- not enough power to suit me as ball didn't exit the chest cavity, even though it did drill a hole through the heart. Rifles work better.

Latest posts

Back