Huntsman breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clemg1212

Reaction score
I have huntsman 50 cal serial # 268340. I need a breech plug for it. How do I know if it’s a sidekick or nef. Or what breech plug to order

Busta is the guru on here for NEF, but if you post a photo of the breach plug I should be able to assist .

I upgraded to a metrics unlimited plug, I'll get web site info when I get home . That plug is the best thing since sliced bread for that line of muzzloaders. No.more orange primer carriers needed, just drop the 209 in and go hunting .

If I had a breech plug to take a picture of then I wouldn’t need one. But I don’t. So there for that’s what I’m looking for. And I do appreciate your help. That metric place I can order one

If it's a NEF Huntsman .50 caliber, it will have a 2 letter prefix to the serial #. If it is a .50 caliber Huntsman barrel fitted to another frame through the barrel program it could be just about any prefix.

2002 - 2004 use 7/8" Breech Plugs.

NS = 2002
NT = 2003
NU = 2004

2005 on use 5/8"Breech Plugs.

NV = 2005
NW = 2006
NX = 2007

Metrics Unlimited or Precision Rifle Bullet are both options for bare primer 209 ignition. You don't even want to see the OEM Beech Plug with the orange primer carriers.

That should help the original poster . Busta did you ever end up getting the PR plug, I didnt after my issues with Cecil .

I have huntsman 50 cal serial # 268340. I need a breech plug for it. How do I know if it’s a sidekick or nef. Or what breech plug to order

Measure the inside thread diameter of your breech. If you have the 5/8" threaded breech, I have a clean, very lightly used first-model Metrics Unlimited, Inc. breech plug I'll send you (along with a 10-pack of O-rings) at no charge. I am assuming you want to use 209 shotgun primers; the Huntsman was also made with a #11 percussion cap breech. But, I'll take a shot in the dark and assume your rifle was a 209 primer model and that's how you want to use it.

The first Metrics Unltd. model has a shallower 1/2" hex head than their later models, but you can still easily turn it in & out with a standard 1/2" socket. The OEM plug required a goofy proprietary socket adaptor-type tool supplied with new rifles if I recall correctly, and I imagine a replacement might be hard to find.

I have one of the newer version Metrics Unltd. plugs with deeper hex flats installed (and 2 spares on hand for future use) in an H&R Sidekick that originally came with the OEM "flagged carrier" abomination. Having used both, I most fervently assure you that you do NOT want the OEM version! There are other threads on this forum explaining why not. A few years ago I gave away the OEM breech plug, socket tool, and about 40 unused primer carriers for it. I still feel guilty about sending that junk to the poor soul who asked for it.

If you have the 7/8" threaded breech, I can't help you but you can get in touch with the maker through the contact info at www.metricsunlimited.com.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware they had a newer version ,are you able to post old and new side by side ? I may just get another

Last edited:
That should help the original poster . Busta did you ever end up getting the PR plug, I didnt after my issues with Cecil .

I got the 7/8" after the package finished the North American tour around 10 - 11 days, IIRC. It fits as close to perfect as you're probably going to get. As you know, he had the wrong breech plug for the 5/8", it was actually a Pre-QRBP CVA Breech Plug. He did credit me back for his mistake sending that breech plug. However, I also ordered a couple different weights of bullets, and he sent all the same weight. Never did get an answer as to why, and I have yet to shoot any of them.

I ended up giving him all the exact specs and tolerances for the 5/8" NEF Breech Plug, and not even a thanks in return. I was planning on doing a range report with both his breech plugs and bullets. I guess my kids will have to fight over them when I'm gone. Or use them for fishing sinkers and paper weights.

I have heard from someone who did get the 5/8" breech plug, after he used the measurements I gave him. He said it was a perfect fit for his rifle. So that's good news for someone looking to buy one.

I wasn't aware they had a newer version ,are you able to post old and new side by side ? I may just get another

You might already have the newer version. I convinced Nick back in 2009 to make the hex head longer. The first run was pretty short, and if your socket had a big lead at the entry, you didn't have much purchase on the flats.

I went and stole all my pictures back from ScumBucket after they were holding them hostage, watermarked them, and blurred them out.

Here is the original run of Metric Unlimited 5/8" Breech Plug on left. After the requested change on the right. I also have a prototype here I might be able to find a picture of.
003-2 (1).jpg

Here is the 7/8" version.
028 (3).jpg
027 (6).jpg

These use a 1/4" O.D. x 1/8" I.D. x 1/16" thick #60 O-Ring, and were / are the original direct ignition 209 breech plug. Without and with the O-Ring.
003 (6).jpg
011 (8).jpg

Fired primers
013 (9).jpg

After a range session, 38 shots. No blowback.
028 (6).jpg

38 primers after full range session with Blackhorn 209. New o-ring on left and used one on right. I've had them go 50-60 shots, but replace them each range session.
009 (6).jpg

Here are a FEW of my custom vent liner breech plugs for the NEF Huntsman and Sidekick and my H&R Sidekick.
100_3013.jpg

014-1 (2).jpg

Sorry I don't have any pics of the PR Bullets beech plugs, but you can see those on their sight. There machining is first rate.

No worries on the PR plug, cecil can pound salt if you ask me, lost me as a customer after that said fiasco.

I do have the newer metrics plug and all this chatter may just have me using it this hunting season. My go to bullet has been the 350gr FPB with T7. I'd have to look at my data notes but I think its 80grains .
Good luck my friend this hunting season

Man, I hate auto-correct!:mad: Sorry for all the misspelled words. I'll have to blame it on my smart phone.

OEM 5/8" left, Prototype 5/8" Metrics Unlimited right.
001-4.jpg

OEM 5/8" left, OEM 7/8" right.
294.jpg
292.jpg

Ben Hubbard 7/8" breech plug.
016-2.jpg
031.jpg

OEM 7/8" left, Hubbard 7/8" right.
009-5.jpg
012-4.jpg

.25 ACP 7/8".
006-6.jpg

OEM, .25 ACP, Hubbard
003-4.jpg

Hubbard with #11
179.jpg

I have an unused 7/8 Metrics Unlimited I ordered last fall, I need a 5/8. I ordered the wrong one due to losing the tool and not being able to verify, once I make a wrench I realized I ordered the wrong one. So if the OP can use that one, or if somebody wants to trade.

I have an unused 7/8 Metrics Unlimited I ordered last fall, I need a 5/8. I ordered the wrong one due to losing the tool and not being able to verify, once I make a wrench I realized I ordered the wrong one. So if the OP can use that one, or if somebody wants to trade.
I could definitely use it. Season opens the 25 th

435-315-8459 if you could call me please

Latest posts

Back