Huntsman breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Click on the user name you want to pm. You'll see a "start a conversation" prompt in the box that opens. Click on it and chat away.
Thanks, Tom. It just threw me off seeing "Conversation" and nothing affirming it means Private, but I'll give it a spin! Hope all's well with you.

Man, I hate auto-correct!:mad: Sorry for all the misspelled words. I'll have to blame it on my smart phone.

OEM 5/8" left, Prototype 5/8" Metrics Unlimited right.
View attachment 5428

OEM 5/8" left, OEM 7/8" right.
View attachment 5437
View attachment 5436

Ben Hubbard 7/8" breech plug.
View attachment 5430
View attachment 5429

OEM 7/8" left, Hubbard 7/8" right.
View attachment 5432
View attachment 5433

.25 ACP 7/8".
View attachment 5434

OEM, .25 ACP, Hubbard
View attachment 5435

Hubbard with #11
View attachment 5438

What are the pros and cons with the Precision Rifle vs Metrics Unlimited 5/8" breech plugs? I've read the MU uses an O-Ring and the PR does not. What is the purpose and difference in these two configs? Is one better than the other?
Thank you.

If it's a NEF Huntsman .50 caliber, it will have a 2 letter prefix to the serial #. If it is a .50 caliber Huntsman barrel fitted to another frame through the barrel program it could be just about any prefix.

2002 - 2004 use 7/8" Breech Plugs.

NS = 2002
NT = 2003
NU = 2004

2005 on use 5/8"Breech Plugs.

NV = 2005
NW = 2006
NX = 2007

Metrics Unlimited or Precision Rifle Bullet are both options for bare primer 209 ignition. You don't even want to see the OEM Beech Plug with the orange primer carriers.

What are the pros and cons with the Precision Rifle vs Metrics Unlimited 5/8" breech plugs? I've read the MU uses an O-Ring and the PR does not. What is the purpose and difference in these two configs? Is one better than the other?
Thank you.

Thank you.

I've heard that MU is no longer going to manufacture the breech plugs. I read where they were also sold out of one size, but can't remember if it was the 5/8" or 7/8". I guess when they are gone, they're gone. These do use an o-ring.

The PR breech plugs are a bit more expensive, but are well made.

Either design will work for shooting Blackhorn 209, if that is what you are after? The MU is a direct dump ignition, the PR is more conventional with a flame channel and flash hole.

I hope that helps.

Maybe if there is enough demand ,bestill could make a run of some . I'd be interested..

I've heard that MU is no longer going to manufacture the breech plugs. I read where they were also sold out of one size, but can't remember if it was the 5/8" or 7/8". I guess when they are gone, they're gone. These do use an o-ring.

The PR breech plugs are a bit more expensive, but are well made.

Either design will work for shooting Blackhorn 209, if that is what you are after? The MU is a direct dump ignition, the PR is more conventional with a flame channel and flash hole.

I hope that helps.[/

MU still has 5/8”. On comparison of the 2 types MU vs PR, is one a cleaner more powerful burn? Is accuracy better from one to the other?

MU still has 5/8”. On comparison of the 2 types MU vs PR, is one a cleaner more powerful burn? Is accuracy better from one to the other?

I could use a 7/8" if anyone has 1 - I had called MU & ordered 1 & never got 1. I had made a sleeve to hold a 209 but never tested it

The MU breech plug is the more powerful burn. It can light Blackhorn 209 with any 209 primer in my testing 11 - 12 years ago.

Accuracy will be dependent on the actual load, bullet, powder, primer.

What type of powder do you plan on shooting?

The PR breech plug can be modified to accept a vent liner, while the MU breech plug cannot.

Blackhorn209, wanting to set this up for 1 of my kids, but being a break action it is fairly short & Handi

I have contacted Metrics Unlimited about a Huntsman 7/8" breech plug. They are all sold out of them.

I am now looking at a Precision Rifle breech plug. I am very interested in the large rifle vari-flame breech plug. Does anyone have experience with this? The description says the breech plug comes with LRVF adapters, I am curious to know what these adapters are. Can anyone provide any insight or photos? I assume they house the large rifle primer to go into the breech plug.

I was looking at the .25 ACP blanks with the pistol primers. But I am not so certain how I feel about carrying the empty cases. Seems a little cumbersome. Thoughts?

Thanks for your input.

Vent liner?
I use a 2 pellet load of Pyrodex .50 pellets, Winchester 209’s, Powerbelt 295 aero tips.
The MU breech plug is the more powerful burn. It can light Blackhorn 209 with any 209 primer in my testing 11 - 12 years ago.

Accuracy will be dependent on the actual load, bullet, powder, primer.

What type of powder do you plan on shooting?

The PR breech plug can be modified to accept a vent liner, while the MU breech plug cannot.

Vent liner?
I use a 2 pellet load of Pyrodex .50 pellets, Winchester 209’s, Powerbelt 295 aero tips.

Vent liners are a replaceable flash hole. Instead of replacing the whole breech plug when the flash hole erodes after a few hundred shots, you just screw in a new one.

Some of my custom 5/8" and 7/8" vent liner breech plugs. Note the flame channel in the overhead shot on the 7/8", and the vent liner flash hole.
100_3013.jpg 009 (2).jpg 014-1 (2).jpg 012.jpg 015.jpg

These are the MU breech plugs. The original and the updated 5/8", and the 7/8".
003-2 (1).jpg 028 (3).jpg

Here is a 5/8" MU breech plug after firing 12 different primers, and 38 shots on the range. Note the o-ring, the direct dump ignition, and no blowback.
028 (6).jpg

These are the 5/8" and 7/8" PR breech plugs.
NEF5_8.jpg NEF78.jpg

Busta I've been changing my lowes number 60 O ring about 60 shots, how often do you change it
Steve

Busta I've been changing my lowes number 60 O ring about 60 shots, how often do you change it
Steve

You can go that high with most of the #60 o-rings, but I always changed mine after every range session, 30 - 50ish shots. Always used a new one for hunting.

I mostly use my Custom H&R .45 caliber Huntsman and my CVA Optima .50 caliber pistol for hunting. No o-ring required.

013 (2).jpg 100_0316.jpg 170.jpg 100_0319.jpg

Howdy all! Question: What is the correct and good mount configuration and scope for a NEF Sidekick.50 ?

Back