I’ve got 5 months

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To determine the best loads for my CVA Optima V2 NW edition. Drew my first choice deer tag and my second choice elk tag. To be honest I just about hit the floor when I saw that. I was told there weren’t as many applicants. I should mention I’m in Oregon.
I have Optima dialed in at 60 yards and pretty good at 80. I’ve been shooting T7 and TC maxi hunters. I have some Thor fits all I’d like to run through it but they have plastic tips and Oregon says no to plastic. Thor does make a hollow point I could try. Any suggestions for non-sabotaged projectiles? I’ll probably stick with T7 as my propellant.
RWS musket caps for ignition.

Nice work on drawing those tags.
For elk No Excuse Bullets has some IMO really good Oregon/Idaho legal elk rounds.
https://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/OBTW what units did you draw in Oregon?
The No excuse are on my list for sure.
For fee I drew the 152m hunt which includes units 52,53,56 and a portion of 54. I have friends that have private I can hunt in the Starkey (52) and Catherine’s Creek (53) portions. So I have a fair chance of running into something.

For elk I drew the 134m Cascade Elk. It’s the upper Deschutes unit and right in my backyard. We’ve hunted it for deer during rifle season the last couple years. Which last deer season besides the little forked horn I jumped first thing opening morning and passed on all we saw were elk. So hopefully They’ll be in there this year.

Latest posts

Back