I am old/new to target rifles, bench work etc.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner

Reaction score
I am old/new to target rifles, bench work etc. 40 years ago I played the competition game then drifted off to the primitive scene. Now an old friend (Doc White) from 40 years ago when he still had GRRW company in operation, has me interested again in playing with a new toy he’s building me.
  • My new gun (toy) is a 367/300 Super Slug (BC= .33). This is also an experimental caliber. It will be very useful as it betters the ballistics of the much loved 38-55 of yesteryear.
  • The bore mike’s .368 land-land,
  • With a groove depth of .375.
  • Twist is 1-14.
  • Bullet is cast weighing 300 gr. at .368 diameter,
  • Sized to .367.
  • It is accurate and hits hard with 80-90 grains Pyrodex P.
  • Recoil is surprisingly mild.
A similar combination was used by the White Muzzleloading target team to win the 2006 Manufacturer’s Match at Friendship with record scores. It’s proved to be a good killer on deer sized game.

At my age (80 and growing older) I’m not wanting to have to rebuy all the casting and sizing equipment to cast bullets for this combination, would prefer to buy the slip-fit bullets sized, lubed and ready to be loaded.

Do any of you gentlemen know of a firm that could provide bullets that I need. Thank you.

Slug Gun.jpg

That one will be a LOT of Fun Buck!! One thing I HIGHLY advise, especially with these Smaller Bores is a Platinum lined Nipple, I cant stress that enough! I have a .357-.358 Bore (9MM) 1:15 Twist, 32” Long Barrel, I am shooting a 340 Grain Bullet in it, nearly 1.5” Long. With 70 Grains of Swiss 2F powder it will Literally DESTROY a Brand new Treso/Ampco nipple in well under 20 Shots, Which is NO GOOD as every shot is Slightly Changing from DRASTIC Nipple Wear Shot after Shot. Do yourself a Favor and get a Platinum lined Nipple, It is EXTREMELY important! These smaller Bore Rifles generate a TREMENDOUS amount of Pressure

Here is the Rifle with the .357-.358 Bore 1-15 Twist (VERY similar to what Doc white used to win that Manufacturers match with years ago, in fact that is why i wanted this Built)
pNFuj04.jpg

Here is the Bullet i shoot in it
Yf5GJWV.jpg

And Here is what happens to a BRAND new Treso/Ampco Nipple in less than 20 Shots through this Rifle, (Compared to another Brand new one Side by Side) These smaller Bore, Fast Twist Barrels builds BIG Pressure, Therefore they EAT regular Nipples like no tomorrow. Now Take this EXACT same Treso Ampco Nipple in my Fast Twist .45s, Shooting 80-90 Grains of Swiss 2F Powder, I can EASILY get over 200 Shots on 1 of these Nipples, and it’s stil going Strong. The difference is Mind BOGGLING! Again, these Smaller Bore, Fast Twist Rifles are HORRENDOUS on Nipples
kL1e43s.jpg

Buffalo Arms Platinum Lined Nipple, They are Expensive, But a MUST for these Guns
https://www.buffaloarms.com/1-4-28-thread-platinum-lined-nipple-only-pln14281

That one will be a LOT of Fun Buck!! One thing I HIGHLY advise, especially with these Smaller Bores is a Platinum lined Nipple, I cant stress that enough! I have a .357-.358 Bore (9MM) 1:15 Twist, 32” Long Barrel, I am shooting a 340 Grain Bullet in it, nearly 1.5” Long. With 70 Grains of Swiss 2F powder it will Literally DESTROY a Brand new Treso/Ampco nipple in well under 20 Shots, Which is NO GOOD as every shot is Slightly Changing from DRASTIC Nipple Wear Shot after Shot. Do yourself a Favor and get a Platinum lined Nipple, It is EXTREMELY important! These smaller Bore Rifles generate a TREMENDOUS amount of Pressure

Here is the Rifle with the .357-.358 Bore 1-15 Twist (VERY similar to what Doc white used to win that Manufacturers match with years ago, in fact that is why i wanted this Built)
pNFuj04.jpg

Here is the Bullet i shoot in it
Yf5GJWV.jpg

And Here is what happens to a BRAND new Treso/Ampco Nipple in less than 20 Shots through this Rifle, (Compared to another Brand new one Side by Side) These smaller Bore, Fast Twist Barrels builds BIG Pressure, Therefore they EAT regular Nipples like no tomorrow. Now Take this EXACT same Treso Ampco Nipple in my Fast Twist .45s, Shooting 80-90 Grains of Swiss 2F Powder, I can EASILY get over 200 Shots on 1 of these Nipples, and it’s stil going Strong. The difference is Mind BOGGLING! Again, these Smaller Bore, Fast Twist Rifles are HORRENDOUS on Nipples
kL1e43s.jpg

Buffalo Arms Platinum Lined Nipple, They are Expensive, But a MUST for these Guns
That’s the nipple I use in my .40/408 and also my bastard .45/458 (built from a replacement Winchester heavy round barrel on a t/c plug, resides in a New Englander stock.) anyway, the platinums hold up when others fail. I’m told that some people have success with the stainless uncle Mikes nipples but I never have. They erode too, just like ampco.

I am old/new to target rifles, bench work etc. 40 years ago I played the competition game then drifted off to the primitive scene. Now an old friend (Doc White) from 40 years ago when he still had GRRW company in operation, has me interested again in playing with a new toy he’s building me.
  • My new gun (toy) is a 367/300 Super Slug (BC= .33). This is also an experimental caliber. It will be very useful as it betters the ballistics of the much loved 38-55 of yesteryear.
  • Twist is 1-14.
  • Sized to .367.
A similar combination was used by the White Muzzleloading target team to win the 2006 Manufacturer’s Match at Friendship with record scores. It’s proved to be a good killer on deer sized game.

At my age (80 and growing older) I’m not wanting to have to rebuy all the casting and sizing equipment to cast bullets for this combination, would prefer to buy the slip-fit bullets sized, lubed and ready to be loaded.

Do any of you gentlemen know of a firm that could provide bullets that I need. Thank you.

Wow 🤩 that’s a beautiful piece! Buffalo Arms provides a .365 bullet to be paper patched but no grease grooved bullets. Maybe they know of a caster who could help?

• Twist is 1-14.
  • Sized to .367.

I responded to another thread you’re posting to, bullshop bullets make bullets to fit your new White..

Looks like I have an answer from a good company.

Reply from Bull Shop Bullets:

Sounds interesting. We currently offer bullets at .368” diameter for all 9.3mm rifles. We have a few designs from about 250gn to 285gn. We also have another option in our mold designed for paper patching to 375 caliber. It is adjustable for weight right now set at about 310gn. It is a smooth sided (without lube grooves) cup base spitzer design. I believe it drops at about .368” diameter from the mold so may be a candidate.

We will also consider obtaining the correct mold if available.

I am inclined to mention that you might consider trying our smooth bullet powder coated. I am shooting basically the same bullet design in 45 caliber in a Pedersolli Gibbs 451 rifle and this has given the best accuracy from this rifle so far tested. Because this bullet has no lube it requires that either you load a lube wad under the bullet or wipe between shots. With my Gibbs rifle I wipe between shots and this has given excellent accuracy. Just something to consider.

Shooting 80-90 Grains of Swiss 2F Powder, I can EASILY get over 200 Shots on 1 of these Nipples, and it’s stil going Strong. The difference is Mind BOGGLING! Again, these Smaller Bore, Fast Twist Rifles are HORRENDOUS on Nipples

kL1e43s.jpg

Thank you old friend, that's what Doc White told me when we started talking about building a small caliber fast twist rifle. Think he was getting bored building the rifles we offer through GRRW.CA, so this is a good change of direction for him.

I talked to him yesterday, barrel is ordered, he's got some of the pieces needed for this build in his shop and will work up an order for the rest. Wood has become a problem with this new growth woods, we are finding they have soft spots on some of the stuff we are getting. Now bringing the blanks in from other sources (old growth material is getting hard to find). Doc recommended the Buffalo Arms Platinum Lined Nipple installed in the build.

Latest posts

Back