I bought a Cricket

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
Just got this from my FFL. It's a little silly tacticool but I'm sure it will be a squirrel getter for a level three operator.

It is equipped with a bi-pod, laser beam sight muzzle brake. Soon I will add a pistol red dot sight once I get the proprietary rail. All that tacicool on a single shot Cricket . Ridicules but cool right?

The barrel is threaded so it will pair nicely with my .22 Warlock suppressor. All in all I am happy. It shoots .22 short, long and lr! I imagine with the suppressor and some shorts all I will hear is the action.

The big negative is that the bolt seems non serviceable. It has pins retaining the assembly that are mushroomed like a rivet. Maybe if you tapped them out and replace with something esle that wont back out. Then again who cares its got a lifetime warranty. What do you guys think?

IMG-0636.jpgIMG-0637.jpgIMG-0638.jpgIMG-0639.jpg

I have some quiet ammo for you to try also. I did a lot of experimenting trying to get a 22 to shoot quietly. Got quiet but not accurate. I ended up going to a .177 pellet gun. The squirrel population has suffered because of it.
I've seen .22 shorts group very well at squirrel range with the right firearm. What model .22 were you using?

The break barrel .177 wasn't accurate enough, didn't have the range or the oomph, I wanted. I got a Marlin 880SQ 22LR with Tasco 3-9×40. It super accurate with 22 CB shorts. It will stack them on top of one another. Those CB shorts are in my opinion just as quiet as the break barrel .177.

Sorry to hear about your .177. I have a Wally (Crosman) special for $100.00 with a 3-9 Barska scope. Its killed hundreds of squirrel and chippies. Shooting a squirrel with a pellet gun is a bit like shooting a deer with a rifle. Some times they DRT and other times have to struggle a few yards before giving up. Mine will completely penetrate a squirrel from a broadside shot. Using 10.5 grain pellets at a chronographed 760 FPS. Not long ago I killed a crow at 30 yards with it. You could hear the pellet thump and watch it roll out of the tree dead. Most shots are 10-15 yards though. That gun goes with me everywhere.

Half-cocked has seen it work.

Around something like 60 years ago I bought a Sheridan Blue Streak 5mm pellet rifle. It killed squirrels, rabbits and starlings. But some years back it stopped holding the the pressure when "pumped". I'd like to get it fixed and maybe I'll be able to eventually. So 20 years ago I got a Remington .177 pump pellet rifle as a Christmas present. It was an inexpensive model but came with a scope. It didn't have the power of the 5mm but still easily took squirrels, and in prodigious numbers.
The .177.
DSC00370.jpg

The Sheridan, top, with the .177, bpttp,.
PICT0522-1.jpg

Sorry to hear about your .177. I have a Wally (Crosman) special for $100.00 with a 3-9 Barska scope. Its killed hundreds of squirrel and chippies. Shooting a squirrel with a pellet gun is a bit like shooting a deer with a rifle. Some times they DRT and other times have to struggle a few yards before giving up. Mine will completely penetrate a squirrel from a broadside shot. Using 10.5 grain pellets at a chronographed 760 FPS. Not long ago I killed a crow at 30 yards with it. You could hear the pellet thump and watch it roll out of the tree dead. Most shots are 10-15 yards though. That gun goes with me everywhere.

Half-cocked has seen it work.
Shoot a squirrel with a 22 CB short at 10 - 15 yards and he won't struggle. Same with the 22 CB short, you will hear it "thump". 29gr solid lead at 710 fps. I set up a table in the garage and sighted it in with a target I setup in the yard about 10 - 12 yards away. My wife and kids in the house was oblivious to it, never heard a thing.

Around something like 60 years ago I bought a Sheridan Blue Streak 5mm pellet rifle. It killed squirrels, rabbits and starlings. But some years back it stopped holding the the pressure when "pumped". I'd like to get it fixed and maybe I'll be able to eventually. So 20 years ago I got a Remington .177 pump pellet rifle as a Christmas present. It was an inexpensive model but came with a scope. It didn't have the power of the 5mm but still easily took squirrels, and in prodigious numbers.
The .177.
DSC00370.jpg

The Sheridan, top, with the .177, bpttp,.
PICT0522-1.jpg
There are a few good airgun rebuilders. I will try to find the info tonite, on the guy i sent a pcp, for a reseal.

Latest posts

Back