I bought a Cricket

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I think I need a rifle to shoot cb shorts. You know, hanging with you guys is a lot of fun and education. But its costly. I didn't know I needed these things until I participated here. 😂

Hit a pawn shop and find a single shot bolt action. I have done a number on the "pests" around the house with 22 CB shorts.

Thanks LBA. I have to buy with the Grandsons in mind you know. So I may as well buy new so they have the right toys to play with. 😂

What new bolts would you suggest.

Now I think I need a rifle to shoot cb shorts. You know, hanging with you guys is a lot of fun and education. But its costly. I didn't know I needed these things until I participated here. 😂

Well fortunately the Crickets are cheap to buy. But as mentioned single shot .22s ought to be easy to find. Oh yeah, one could get a insert for 22s to use with various larger caliber guns too. But they might cost more than a decent .22 single shot. A insert for a shotgun using shorts would be super quiet too.

For example: 22 Caliber Shotgun Adapters - Shotgun Adapters - https://chaszel.com

Last edited:
Thanks LBA. I have to buy with the Grandsons in mind you know. So I may as well buy new so they have the right toys to play with. 😂

The bolt gun (Marlin 880SQ) I use is one I've had for many years. I haven't done any looking for new 22s. If I had to start looking, I guess, I'd start with Marlin.

Around something like 60 years ago I bought a Sheridan Blue Streak 5mm pellet rifle. It killed squirrels, rabbits and starlings. But some years back it stopped holding the the pressure when "pumped". I'd like to get it fixed and maybe I'll be able to eventually. So 20 years ago I got a Remington .177 pump pellet rifle as a Christmas present. It was an inexpensive model but came with a scope. It didn't have the power of the 5mm but still easily took squirrels, and in prodigious numbers.
The .177.
DSC00370.jpg

The Sheridan, top, with the .177, bpttp,.
PICT0522-1.jpg

If you can find them, Remington CB Longs shoot accurately for me and are quiet out of a long barrel.

Around something like 60 years ago I bought a Sheridan Blue Streak 5mm pellet rifle. It killed squirrels, rabbits and starlings. But some years back it stopped holding the the pressure when "pumped". I'd like to get it fixed and maybe I'll be able to eventually. So 20 years ago I got a Remington .177 pump pellet rifle as a Christmas present. It was an inexpensive model but came with a scope. It didn't have the power of the 5mm but still easily took squirrels, and in prodigious numbers.
The .177.
DSC00370.jpg

The Sheridan, top, with the .177, bpttp,.
PICT0522-1.jpg
Baker Airguns is the place i used.
https://www.bakerairguns.com/repair-restoration/

Thanks for posting who does the repairs and restorations of air guns. I have a old .22 cal Crosman pump pistol that I would like to get working again. I have had it since I was a kid. It is a all metal one not plastic like the modern ones. Back then it was super accurate. I shot the heck out of it too. It did develop a crack on the pump handle but a gunsmith had brazed it for me at that time. But eventually the seals were worn and it would not hold pressure. I will contact them to see if they can fix it or not.

I hit the local gun shop yesterday. They had a bunch of 22s of all sorts on the rack, new and used.

Ill go by one Monday morning. Thank you.

Single feed in a 10/22. Frankly I dont think its the right rifle for anything other than 22LR. Even those it is real fussy.
If you ever decide to sell that 10/22, i would buy it. I’m feeling the need to tinker with one, again. They are so fun and easy to customized and upgrade.

I actually have two. Years ago my brother and I bought 2 10/22s and 2 10/44s. He passed 27 years ago. I have 3 Grandsons and a pile of ammo so I am hoping one of them will take to hunting like their PaPa. If 10/22s were in short supply Id make a deal with you but I think they can be bought no problem

Latest posts

Back