I know this is gonna sound weird...

Discussion in 'Shooting Techniques and Tips' started by Confederate rifleman, Sep 14, 2019.

Modern Muzzleloader

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

1. Sep 14, 2019 #1

Confederate rifleman

Confederate rifleman

Confederate rifleman

Recently I noticed that I was getting carbon smudges on my targets, around the edges of the bullet holes. I thought this meant I was getting gas blowby around the sabot.
    I was shooting an older box of 250 grain 45 cal XTP's and they were a little dirty.
    So. I cleaned them with rubbing alcohol and the smudging went away AND accuracy improved!
    I tried the same thing with my 45 shooting 200 grain 40 cals. They were clean, but accuracy was improved. Put 6 into an inch at 50 yards. Was zeroing an aperture sight.
    It seems that a dirty bullet or one with some oily substance on it, does have a negative effect on accuracy. The improvement was about a half inch at 100 yards and about the same from the 45 at 50.
    I also index my sabots so I have one land solid on each petal.
    Little things do make a difference!

michiganmuzzy likes this.
  2. Nov 29, 2019 #2

Mtns2Hunt

Mtns2Hunt

Mtns2Hunt

Interesting concept about indexing your sabots so one land is solid on each petal. Never heard that before.

3. Nov 29, 2019 #3

GM54-120

GM54-120

GM54-120

Administrator Staff Member ADMIN Global Moderator

Well thats odd if you have a 8 land barrel and a 4 petal sabot. Why not 2 lands per petal as is normally recommended?

herschel conyers likes this.
  4. Nov 30, 2019 #4

Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Supporter Supporter

I have some Clear looking Sabots sitting here beside me as i type this (.54 Cal, Hornady I believe?) With XTP Bullets in them. I have been wanting to try them, but always end up doing other things

5. Dec 1, 2019 #5

Confederate rifleman

Confederate rifleman

Confederate rifleman

I get about a land and a half per petal if I center a land.
    Cleaned some 300 grain XTP's and shot my smallest 10 shot 100 yard group. 1 &13/16 ths. Previous best was 2 inches. This is with an aperture sight.
    I've found indexing worth the effort. Cleaning apparently too. Its a small effort to make.