I may have...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I learned real quick when scrambling brown eggs, straight from the hen house, to crack them into a bowl BEFORE you put them into the frying pan. Only takes one bad egg to ruin the whole lot of however many you are preparing to scramble. Not much help on the appetite either...

When I was in China, I watched a guy scramble eggs with chopsticks. It was pretty entertaining.
Dog on the barbie was a little different too.
As a kid I ate duck eggs, but do not remember much about them. That was quite a while ago.

our neighbor gives us about a dozen a week just to get rid of them. we give her feed and some moldy hay on occasion and she is happy, as are we.

Our friend who supplies us with fresh eggs claims that the eggs will stay fine for weeks without refrigeration as long as they are not washed. I've never seen a spoiled egg.

As a kid, we carried eggs in our backpacks for a week long trip. Never a spoiled egg.

My grandparents had geese, those eggs were huge next to hen's egg. Had a strong taste to them!

In my experience duck eggs have a similar taste but "richer." Great for baking. Goose eggs have a stronger taste but can't quite explain it. I don't like them as much.

Here's our neighborhood setup. Medium size cooler with blue ice bottles wrapped in towels. Top shelf for returned egg cartons. Little locking letterbox on right for payment. Security camera on a fence post to right (who knows if works). She leaves the top open when the eggs are all gone. This is about 50 ft from their house.

Good luck...

Screenshot 2022-05-11 9.30.07 PM.png

Our chickens are strictly "free range" thanks to an automatic coop door that opens in the morning and closes at night. One come into the garage, jumps on my workbench then atop by gunsafe where she lays an egg. After the egg's laid, she jumps down, eats a little dry catfood, and goes back outside through the cat door.

As long as you don't wash an egg, they'll stay fresh a long time. Shells are porous, so left uncovered in a refrigerator they'll absorb odors. There's no difference between brown eggs and white eggs other than the color of the shell.

Chickens have visible ears. Those with white ears lay white eggs. Those with dark ears lay brown eggs. Eggs do take on "tastes" depending on what they eat. True "free-range" chicken eggs have more colorful yolks which are firmer and considered better for baking. We have no trouble either selling eggs nor making folks happy with gifts of fresh, free-range eggs. We have customers in St. Louis who give us $10 a dozen - both are chefs.

JBBushnell, thanks for the picture. It is pretty much what I envisioned.

With coyotes, wolves, mountain lions, skunks, raccoons, and bears passing through I do not think free range would work for long. Golden eagles are visible most days as they ride the currents.

We did free range at the last place, and the chickens became quite friendly until the neighbor dog showed up. No close neighbors and no dogs here, but plenty of wild predators.

Back