I may need to be stimulated

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Great deal on this scope and blem reviews from Natchez dont seem to have any visible blemish. FFP and a reticle that i really like for under $500. Everyone else wants over $700 for this scope.
https://www.natchezss.com/blemished...15x50mm-30mm-ffp-ballistic-plex-e1-matte.html
ballistic-plex-e1-ffp.png

Last edited:
Go for it! My only experience with Burris is the little Timberline 4x20 scope that I got from Natchez, a number of years ago. I paid less than half the regular price for it.
Mounted it on a slug gun. Nice clear glass. No problems holding zero from the heavy 12 gauge recoil.

Need to do the math and see if the TPS xtra lows are gunna work

Rings .820" from base to scope centerline
Murphy base .390" tall
So from barrel OD to scope centerline thats 1.21"

Burris 50mm obj OD is 2.29" according to MidwayUSA. So it needs half that to clear the barrel 1.145. I better check Burris's website to confirm that. It barely clears if the math is right.

Burris lists it as 58mm and thats 2.283" :think:

Last edited:
Ordered the rings anyway. My 2nd choice is a Viper HS 4-16x44 and i know that will clear. Midway gets those on sale occasionally in Plex for about $300

I have a Viper HS 4-16x44 and have a couple thousand shots sml through it without a hiccup. It tracks perfectly. Just a fyi.

I found the Sightron STAC 3-16x42 for around $35 more than the Viper HS sale price also. Its still under $400 at most places like Opticsplanet. They get great reviews.

Definitely some good scopes out there without having to get a 2nd mortgage. Those top tier scopes are nice and make me drool but I don't have a budget for them. I had a Burris on a Ruger .44Mag years ago and all I remember is it was clear, tough and worked. Those Veracity's have been on my radar for some time.
Just recently purchased a Crimson Trace for my 6BR. It's a 34mm, 6-24x56, Illum. MOA reticle and FFP. It is a nice scope and I got it from Midway for $350ish.
I've been looking for another good variable scope for my CVA Accura with a top end of 14-15x. I might would go even higher on the top power range if the price is right. I plan on getting proficient out to 200-250yds with this rifle before October gets here. I wasn't prepared last ML season and a couple of nice bucks hung around at the 200yd mark and drove me crazy.

I looked at a bunch of Crimson Trace scopes and most have a very busy reticle plus illuminated. I can get a Sightron for what they are asking and im pretty confident i will like it. All the older models (2 3 and 5 Series) were made in Japan but im not sure about the current Hardline and Brushline models. Ive found some very good deals on the older models too.

This scope is more for recreation so weight is not an issue. I will just take my other scope off the Murpy base and install this one for longer range fun. If the 2-10x42 Veracity on sale had the reticle i like i would just be selling off the other scope or moving it to another rifle.

I hear ya'll , been looking at these same scopes too. I have a cva scout in 6.5CM inroute also a talley rail for it.

I found the Sightron STAC 3-16x42 for around $35 more than the Viper HS sale price also. Its still under $400 at most places like Opticsplanet. They get great reviews.

Don't know if you are aware that with Optics Planet if you have an acct and you put an item in your cart and then take it out OP will send you a coupon. The coupons usually get you a nice chunk off your purchase.

Between the Vortex Viper HS and the S TAC, I have the HS with bdc and have looked through but not owned the Sightron, the sightron is clearer by a little, I don't know anything else about them though. My Vortex is consistently repeatable, Zero at 100 go out to 400 with correct dial up, come back to zero at 100 and right on for at least 4yrs I have had it. I would like to have a 5-25 S TAC but just have never pulled the trigger on a purchase. Also check out Accurate shooter forum as there are good deals on scopes there.

The Sightron S-TAC series are great scopes & very durable. I have a 4-20x50 that is awesome!

It came highly recommended by Jeff at Bestill Creations. He’s never had a warranty claim in a S-TAC

Greg

If it came down to $300 for the Viper HS 4-16x44 or the Sightron 3-16x42 for $335 i would have to pick the Sightron. Both with a plex reticle. Ive seen Midway sell the Viper for that a few times. There is also a Viper HS-T but ive never seen those that low. Ive seen the Sightron in the 4-20x50 for $409 also.

The TPS XRT rings arrived and they are nice. Great fit on the Murphy base.

No doubt. Sightron builds a nice scope from what I've seen and read. I don't currently have one. I do have a Vortex Viper PST II, 5-25x50.
Those TPS XRT rings are solid and nice and look a lot like the Talley rings I just bought this past week;

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022785313
Those were in stock and the best fit for my rifle.

I wanted a few things. Two lugs, 7075 billet, dual torx and as low as possible. Only Seekins makes a ring that has 3 of those requirements. .820" high and 7075 with dual torx. Contessa also covers 3 but they are taller. Talley are 6061 and their lowest 30mm is .890 which is still pretty good. My rail is .4 tall already. Stiener offers a affordable 7075 ring also. Under $80. There might be a few others but the price sky rockets.

Its actually a PITA to find a set of rings that covers all the bases but if these are too low for a 50mm obj i will probably grab either Seekins, Contessa or get a 42-44mm obj scope.

Got out my calipers to measure the Murphy base with the TPS super lows. Its 15.85mm to the bottom of the ring. So 30.85mm to the center line or 1.214" just like i estimated using the supplied/claimed measurements. The Sightron 4-20x50 has a 2.3" OD obj so half that is 1.15". Man that is close and too close for caps to fit over the obj.

On a side note SWFA SS has a few of the fixed power models back instock for $300. Eye relief is no longer listed as 3.9". Now its 3.4" :(

Rings are ROCK solid on the rail. Almost no forward/backward play at all without the torx tightened. MidwayUSA got more instock for $130 also.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021740036
s93TRbg.jpg

tN0wjCd.jpg

yMGNoNv.jpg

QMkFykM.jpg

Last edited:
On a side note SWFA SS has a few of the fixed power models back instock for $300. Eye relief is no longer listed as 3.9". Now its 3.4" :(

Rings are ROCK solid on the rail. Almost no forward/backward play at all without the torx tightened. MidwayUSA got more instock for $130 also.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021740036
s93TRbg.jpg

tN0wjCd.jpg

yMGNoNv.jpg

QMkFykM.jpg
Will those require lapping?

Not from reviews ive read. The cap and bases have a index mark. I can only assume this mark is used during the machining process.

Not my ring but mine has the same hole with a line on one side and just a hole on the other. Just match the cap to the ring base.
QzL6Reo.jpg

Latest posts

Back