I missed out on deer but got an elk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good for you lewis, life to short to miss out on a man's love for hunting and fishing ,my last job I had I would go to my boss and tap on my watch the first day in Nov, and say it's time , time to lay me off ,he would do it for he knew I would quit also.did that for seven years, . Jack O'Conner was my hero , my first rifle fresh out of high school, was my 270 bdl. Got to watch my son have it over his shoulder yesterday as I had my 50 cal interchangeable I built .

Congratulations! At least 2 years coming and you connected. After the previous 2 annual year-long sh%# shows, that venison is gonna taste awful good, not god awful!!!

Good for you lewis, life to short to miss out on a man's love for hunting and fishing ,my last job I had I would go to my boss and tap on my watch the first day in Nov, and say it's time , time to lay me off ,he would do it for he knew I would quit also.did that for seven years, . Jack O'Conner was my hero , my first rifle fresh out of high school, was my 270 bdl. Got to watch my son have it over his shoulder yesterday as I had my 50 cal interchangeable I built .

🤣 I'm not lewis. 🤣🤣🤣
I too am a huge fan of Jack O'Connor

Congratulations Ron. It's always nice to put an elk in the freezer, and I prefer a good cow over all others. Spikes are nicer, but just not as much meat. You're about three ahead of me, but maybe I can make up some ground this weekend...

For the last 2 years I've been a grave digger in a pandemic. I couldn't get any time off. I was working 7 days a week. In October I tried to take a day off and got chewed out so I gave them my notice and as of October 8th I am partially retired. I didn't get to go deer hunting in 2020, and 2021.
I did draw a cow elk tag, and it started Nov 15th. The area I hunt the most is the big desert. 8000 square miles. Most of it public land. My first trip out I didn't see anything. My second trip I got back out to a high spot and used my spotting scope.
I saw 4 elk about 15 to 18 miles out. The way they walked I was sure they were bulls.
I found a big herd of about 30 animals. They were over 10 miles out and I knew some were cows.
I was almost to them and a UTV showed up. I talked to them quickly. They hadn't seen an elk in a weeks hunting. I could see the herd a little over a mile away over their shoulders.
The elk were in grass. And that grass was about ankle high. I started crawling on my hands and knees a mile out.
Several cows got spooky and got up. I took the range and set my old 270 Winchester on my shooting sticks. At the shot i heard the bullet hit, and the elk milled, I lost her. They started to move out and she was the last in line. I took another shot and she was down.
This elk was my 23rd elk. I used to shoot a lot of elk with the 270 in the 1990's and early 2000's. The bullet was a Hornady 140 gr BTSP.
My next job I will be a grave digger at a tiny cemetery 8 miles away. They are promising me no more than 20 hours a week. I told them if I work more than that and start missing hunting and fishing, I'm gone.
I built the knife and sticks.
You look waaay to happy!
Congratulations on your work vs hunting decision, and the big payoff!

Congrats on the elk and thanks for the story. I like the politics of Idaho, how long have you lived there?

Back