I saw two deer this year....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenMtnHunter

Reaction score
After bow and rifle season were over, I had seen nothing but a 'yote's hind end flying over a little hill. In the rain on the opening morning of ML, I carried my PH and an additional doe tag. This little fella, 130lbs, live wt, appeared from a dark, wooded, ridge, just after sunrise. On the other side of a small valley, about 50 yds away, he was level with me. I could not see the antlers until I peeked through the scope. He stepped into a nice shooting lane, leapt clear of the smoke, stumbled and slid halfway down the slope, DRT. I reloaded, stood quite still for another minute and a little slick appeared from the same area; followed the same line, and I did not touch the trigger because I am pretty sure it was a button-head. Hunted hard for doe for the rest of the week, but never saw another.

Attachments

• EE51E27B-F1E5-4B11-9BD1-C5029EF8DA4A.JPG
    EE51E27B-F1E5-4B11-9BD1-C5029EF8DA4A.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 33
Congratulations on filling your tag.. those little guys are the beat eating anyway, the only problem with them is you can eat them before next year rolls around😁
It was a dismal year here in UT for me as well. We were confined to the truck and roads this year cause my youngest boy had a heel full of stitches. We saw hundreds of deer over the course of the eight days we went out. One really nice four point that was about 20” wide that the boys didn’t get a shot at. Two three points that were 15-16” wide that they did get shots at and missed. Several spikes and forked horns that they missed. Second to the last morning my older boy tagged a small forked horn about the same size as yours, and the last night right at dark, I tagged mine which was his twin, a little forked horn. I haven’t shot a deer that small in 15 years. I hope it was just the fact that we were stuck to road hunting. I usually get out and do some hiking, I don’t ever get too far from the road, maybe a mile or so, cause you gotta pack out whatever you get down and there’s always a hill involved.

After bow and rifle season were over, I had seen nothing but a 'yote's hind end flying over a little hill. In the rain on the opening morning of ML, I carried my PH and an additional doe tag. This little fella, 130lbs, live wt, appeared from a dark, wooded, ridge, just after sunrise. On the other side of a small valley, about 50 yds away, he was level with me. I could not see the antlers until I peeked through the scope. He stepped into a nice shooting lane, leapt clear of the smoke, stumbled and slid halfway down the slope, DRT. I reloaded, stood quite still for another minute and a little slick appeared from the same area; followed the same line, and I did not touch the trigger because I am pretty sure it was a button-head. Hunted hard for doe for the rest of the week, but never saw another.
Same in NY scarce and I hunt opening in Oct till Tues close and missed maybe 4 days (like its my job) but someone has to do it .1 6pt/rifle and 1 doe tag filled yesterday and have a doe /buck tag yet to fill till Tues . The woods are full of yearlings and coyotes with close to 2 ft of snow ,dogs have to wait till Tuesday nite/Ed

Same in NY scarce and I hunt opening in Oct till Tues close and missed maybe 4 days (like its my job) but someone has to do it .1 6pt/rifle and 1 doe tag filled yesterday and have a doe /buck tag yet to fill till Tues . The woods are full of yearlings and coyotes with close to 2 ft of snow ,dogs have to wait till Tuesday nite/Ed

Coyotes are BRUTAL on Whitetail Deer around here. I kill every Coyote I get the chance to :lewis:

Congrats on your Deer! :lewis:

Nice one OP. Sounds like the year I had but u filled ur tag. Win some u lose some. I'm sure we'll both be back at it next year even harder. Congratulations!

Back