I think my new rifle is ready to shoot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahoron

Reaction score
I have had a Stainless Green Mountain 45 cal LRH barrel sitting in my safe for a long time waiting for me to do something with it.

Well I picked up a donor TC Renegade. I installed a Lee Shavers mid range Sole sight with a Hadley eye cup with a Lee Shavers Ferriss front sight. I think I am ready to shoot it.

S68ByV4.jpg

xB6kvBr.jpg

iZKjOSm.jpg

fx2Ekio.jpg

W5nyCr3.jpg

Ron you have been very busy transforming your bargain Renegade into real long range shooter. Looks Great !

Looks AWESOME Ron!! And very familiar :)

Like i said before when i was giving you advice on what you needed here, I stil wish i had went with a Mid Range Soule for my .45, When you look at my Setting for 825 Yards, i am using very little of this big Looooooooooong Staff. I could have got to 1,000 Yards with a Mid Range, and had a much more Compact Setup. But i didn’t know any better when i set mine up? I was Breaking new Ground with this, I didn’t know anyone that had a Renegade or a Hawken Setup this way to Give me advice? Shaver wasn’t sure what i needed either? I simply had to Test a Few different Front Sights to figure it out. I bet this Long Range Super Grade Sight of mine would get to 2,000 Yards? I am VERY Confident it would do 1 mile (1,760 Yards) I have watched Videos of the Wasserburger Mile Shoot, I have PLENTY of Sight to do that

Get out there and Shoot that thing! I am anxious to see your Results with it :lewis: As much as i love doing this long range stuff, I would be in PARADISE if i had Country up here like you have down there, it is a SERIOUS STRUGGLE on me finding anything over 500 Yards up here. Wind is your Enemy where you live, We don’t have that kind of Wind, at least regularly like you guy’s do. The Ole Saying, “Can’t have your Cake, and Eat it to” Comes to mind here :)

You should have gotten 3 Different Hard Plastic/Polymer type Washers for setting your Hadley Eye Cup, They are different thicknesses, this allows you to find the one needed for your Preference on where the Hadley Cup Stops when snugged up. I like my adjustment wheel to be up at the Top so i can easily flip through it. I notice yours is Way to the Left, and Low. Is that comfortable to you? If so, that’s all that matters :lewis:

You should have gotten 3 Different Hard Plastic/Polymer type Washers for setting your Hadley Eye Cup, They are different thicknesses, this allows you to find the one needed for your Preference on where the Hadley Cup Stops when snugged up. I like my adjustment wheel to be up at the Top so i can easily flip through it. I notice yours is Way to the Left, and Low. Is that comfortable to you? If so, that’s all that matters :lewis:

Actually I set it there do I could spin the wheel with my thumb while looking through the cup.

Looks AWESOME Ron!! And very familiar :)

Like i said before when i was giving you advice on what you needed here, I stil wish i had went with a Mid Range Soule for my .45, When you look at my Setting for 825 Yards, i am using very little of this big Looooooooooong Staff. I could have got to 1,000 Yards with a Mid Range, and had a much more Compact Setup. But i didn’t know any better when i set mine up? I was Breaking new Ground with this, I didn’t know anyone that had a Renegade or a Hawken Setup this way to Give me advice? Shaver wasn’t sure what i needed either? I simply had to Test a Few different Front Sights to figure it out. I bet this Long Range Super Grade Sight of mine would get to 2,000 Yards? I am VERY Confident it would do 1 mile (1,760 Yards) I have watched Videos of the Wasserburger Mile Shoot, I have PLENTY of Sight to do that

Get out there and Shoot that thing! I am anxious to see your Results with it :lewis: As much as i love doing this long range stuff, I would be in PARADISE if i had Country up here like you have down there, it is a SERIOUS STRUGGLE on me finding anything over 500 Yards up here. Wind is your Enemy where you live, We don’t have that kind of Wind, at least regularly like you guy’s do. The Ole Saying, “Can’t have your Cake, and Eat it to” Comes to mind here :)

I wanted mine to be set up like your business rifle.
I am thinking about a mould. What's your suggestion?

If that bullet doesn't work out for you I'm sure some one here can donate some other bullets for you to try before you commit to a mold purchase. Definitely want something looong but also suited for the 1:30 twist at the same time.

I wanted mine to be set up like your business rifle.
I am thinking about a mould. What's your suggestion?

I have a Bullet (Mold) here that i KNOW shoots EXTREMELY well in the 1:30 Twist, I also have some Certified 1-40 Alloy From BACO in a Brand New Lead Pot, I will gladly Cast you some of these to Try in that new Rifle, These things will GET WITH IT WAAAAAAAY out there, This is a DANDY Bullet. A MUCH better fit in the 1:30 Twist than the BIG 500 PLUS Grain 1.4“ Bullets.
2wCin9P.jpg

LT0xglU.jpg

Have you tested Bullet Fit in that new Barrel yet Ron? Test load one of your 11mm Bullets, Spit it back out with your Air Compressor.

What does your 11MM Bullet measure all Wrapped up and Ready to Load?

When Measured like this
FP3na8U.jpg

I have a Bullet (Mold) here that i KNOW shoots EXTREMELY well in the 1:30 Twist, I also have some Certified 1-40 Alloy From BACO in a Brand New Lead Pot, I will gladly Cast you some of these to Try in that new Rifle, These things will GET WITH IT WAAAAAAAY out there, This is a DANDY Bullet. A MUCH better fit in the 1:30 Twist than the BIG 500 PLUS Grain 1.4“ Bullets.
2wCin9P.jpg

LT0xglU.jpg
How deep is that recess in the bottom? That is a bad-A looking bullet right there.

With its small Meplat and graceful Ogive that looks like the perfect bullet for long range target shooting.

2wCin9P.jpg

LT0xglU.jpg

What do those weigh? They look like what I am looking for and with them in 1-40 there is a good chance that they will work well in the stainless barrel. I would love to try some. What mould is that one?

Have you tested Bullet Fit in that new Barrel yet Ron? Test load one of your 11mm Bullets, Spit it back out with your Air Compressor.

What does your 11MM Bullet measure all Wrapped up and Ready to Load?

When Measured like this
FP3na8U.jpg

My bullets measure at .447 with the paper on. After I wrap and size they tend to swell back up .001 or so.
The fit is the same as my other one. snug but the weight of the range rod pushes them down.

With its small Meplat and graceful Ogive that looks like the perfect bullet for long range target shooting.

My first try will be with the 11mm bullet. That bullet shoots really well in my other 45. But I have only shot them out to 300 yards. I am thinking that once I double that distance or triple it things might go astray.

My first try will be with the 11mm bullet. That bullet shoots really well in my other 45. But I have only shot them out to 300 yards. I am thinking that once I double that distance or triple it things might go astray.

I think the 11MM Bullet will do REALLY well for you out to 600 or so Yards, When put in a Twist Calculator That Bullet lines up well with the 1:30 Twist.

I think the 11MM Bullet will do REALLY well for you out to 600 or so Yards, When put in a Twist Calculator That Bullet lines up well with the 1:30 Twist.

What do those bullets of yours weigh? With the 1-40 I am sure that they would shoot well. I would like to give them a shot. Pun intended. :)

What do those weigh? They look like what I am looking for and with them in 1-40 there is a good chance that they will work well in the stainless barrel. I would love to try some. What mould is that one?

These weigh 427-428 Grains cast of 1-40 Alloy, And a But lighter when Cast of 1-20 Alloy (425 Grains) For Target, Fun shooting with these Sleek Elliptical nose Bullets, it is REALLY hard to beat 1-20 Alloy, It won’t Slump on ya. 1-20 is the Most Popular Alloy Shot by the Serious Long Range Guy’s

What do those bullets of yours weigh? With the 1-40 I am sure that they would shoot well. I would like to give them a shot. Pun intended. :)

I will cast you some up Ron :lewis: I really think you will like these Bullets, Especially Cast of an alloy in your Stainless Barrel. These are Sleeeeek little Devils that Reach out there with Authority

Latest posts

Back