I think my new rifle is ready to shoot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You gotta try some of this Stuff Ron! It’s cheap, easy to get, and it SHOOTS :lewis: This is what i was using at 825 Yards. Actually This stuff is what i use exclusively anymore ”300 series Strathmore Tracing Paper” it is Thin at .00175, my old 25% Cotton onion skin is a little Thicker at .002
IP0a1NJ.jpg

Boy I guess it is cheap. 6 bucks can't be beat. 25% cotton is about that much a sheet.

Yes they usually come out heavier when using alloys that are closer to pure lead which is actually Beneficial for stability. I only mentioned that bullet because it looked like Lewis's bullet. Not sure how long his or the size of the Meplat. If you don't like what you see ask Accurate to change it the way you want.

Yes they usually come out heavier when using alloys that are closer to pure lead which is actually Beneficial for stability. I only mentioned that bullet because it looked like Lewis's bullet. Not sure how long his or the size of the Meplat. If you don't like what you see ask Accurate to change it the way you want.
Something to think about

Boy I guess it is cheap. 6 bucks can't be beat. 25% cotton is about that much a sheet.

EXACTLY! And for whatever reason? That tracing Paper has SPANKED my Old 25% Cotton Onion Skin Paper

Here is an example of PURE Lead vs 20-1 Alloy. For the most part i have Darn good luck with PURE Lead (At the upper end of PURE Lead Hardness) But this Particular bullet didnt shoot that Super with PURE Lead, But came ALIVE when Cast of 1-20 Alloy, and Patched with that Tracing Paper
dNKgqAX.jpg

0uuCoa5.jpg

Here it was with PURE Lead, This was 70-80 Yards, Not Awful, But not Great
w9IvopA.jpg

And here it is Cast of 1-20 Alloy, Same 70-80 Yards, These NEVER get Old :)
fFD0NQU.jpg

EXACTLY! And for whatever reason? That tracing Paper has SPANKED my Old 25% Cotton Onion Skin Paper

Here is an example of PURE Lead vs 20-1 Alloy. For the most part i have Darn good luck with PURE Lead (At the upper end of PURE Lead Hardness) But this Particular bullet didnt shoot that Super with PURE Lead, But came ALIVE when Cast of 1-20 Alloy, and Patched with that Tracing Paper
dNKgqAX.jpg

0uuCoa5.jpg

Here it was with PURE Lead, This was 70-80 Yards, Not Awful, But not Great
w9IvopA.jpg

And here it is Cast of 1-20 Alloy, Same 70-80 Yards, These NEVER get Old :)
fFD0NQU.jpg

That's a great looking bullet.

Here is what i would do Ron, I would have a Paper Patch Bullet Mold Made to match these Specs. 1.5 in the Green here is ABSOLUTELY IDEAL, and is the Military Standard for Stability. This is as CLOSE as you will Get to PERFECTION for the 1:30 Twist :lewis: I would go .443 Diameter, It’s better to size a Tiny bit Than be to Small (you probably wont need to though)
ym4fzgz.jpg

I would Contact Brooks Tru-Bore Molds and have him Cut you a Mold to Match the Stability Chart above, he can do it EASILY by that Chart!! (BACO won’t do it, they won’t cut Custom Molds)

First off, you know the 11MM Bullet Shoots very Well in your Rifles, Simply measure the RCBS 11MM‘s Bearing Surface with your Calipers, Tell Brooks you want that SAME Bearing Surface, Then I would go with a Creedmoor Style Nose instead of a Long Elliptical Nose (You NEED that bearing Surface with this Short of Bullet, instead of a Longer Sleeker Nose, Giving up Bearing Surface which would be a BAD idea in my opinion) You want a total Bullet length of 1.050, as it’s IDEAL for Stability in the 1:30 Twist

I would go with a FLAT BASE Bullet Mold, The Cupped Base Bullets are nice for Tucking the Patch Tail (Short Patch), But the Molds are TRULY a PITA to Cast from, And when you have Guy’s like Dave Gullo (World Champ) That Shoot, and Swear by Flat Base Bullets, it’s hard to Argue with his Success. The times i have spoke with Dave about Cupped Base VS Flat Base, Dave Shakes his head at guy’s who claim Cupped Base Bullets are the only Way to go, i have seen him do it more than once.

Look at these Brooks Tru-Bore Molds, His Paper Patch Base pour Molds, they are a Creedmoor Style design. Again, if it were me, and i was SERIOUS about pushing the 1:30 Twist Looooong, This is PRECISELY what i would Do. Have Steve Brooks Cut the Mold to Match the Stability Chart i Showed above. It CAN’T get any Better than this :lewis:
https://brooksmoulds.com/basepour.html

Last edited:
The reason I advise the above? This is the ABSOLUTE BEST PP Bullet i have ever shot in the 1:30 Twist (Bullet on the Right) This thing will eat 1 Ragged Hole, I have done it OVER & OVER with my 1:30 Twist Rifles. This Bullet lines up BEAUTIFULLY with the 1:30 Twist

.443-400, Creedmoor Style Nose. Again, It is a PERFECT Line up with the 1:30 Twist according to the Twist Calculator. Here it is Standing beside the Bullet i Just sent you a Box of. It’s not as Purty as mine :) But i would put it up against mine ANY Day in my 1:30 Twists, and WIN. My Bullet is a Bit Long, and Doesn’t Line up as well in the Twist Calculator as this Smaller Bullet on the Right Does.
ELcjtpI.jpg

Last edited:
Ron, The Bullets i sent you are VERY GOOD Bullets, My reasoning for sending you those particular Bullets is they are the Closest thing i have that might work well at Longer Range in the 1:30 Twist. As you seen, They shot AWESOME for me in my Twin to your Barrel, BUT that was only a 60 Yard Short Range Test. The REAL test will be Distance, 3,4,5, 600 Etc. Yards. According to the Twist Calculator My Bullet is to Long/Heavy for Optimum Stability in the 1:30 Twist. I had that Bullet made for the Much faster 1:20 Twist, in which it Excels

In short, What i explained in the Posts above, and Picture of the Shorter Bullet is OPTIMUM for your 1:30 Twist Rifle, at least according to the Twist Calculators. It will be VERY interesting to see how my Bullets perform in your Rifle? I am anxious to see your Results with them :lewis:

Ron, The Bullets i sent you are VERY GOOD Bullets, My reasoning for sending you those particular Bullets is they are the Closest thing i have that might work well at Longer Range in the 1:30 Twist. As you seen, They shot AWESOME for me in my Twin to your Barrel, BUT that was only a 60 Yard Short Range Test. The REAL test will be Distance, 3,4,5, 600 Etc. Yards. According to the Twist Calculator My Bullet is to Long/Heavy for Optimum Stability in the 1:30 Twist. I had that Bullet made for the Much faster 1:20 Twist, in which it Excels

In short, What i explained in the Posts above, and Picture of the Shorter Bullet is OPTIMUM for your 1:30 Twist Rifle, at least according to the Twist Calculators. It will be VERY interesting to see how my Bullets perform in your Rifle? I am anxious to see your Results with them :lewis:

I didn't get to look at this until it was late.
I need to read it when I'm not beat. That shorter bullet looks great too. I am thinking that tge high 300 to right at 400 will be about right.
I will read this again tomorrow. Thanks for the recommendation.

I didn't get to look at this until it was late.
I need to read it when I'm not beat. That shorter bullet looks great too. I am thinking that tge high 300 to right at 400 will be about right.
I will read this again tomorrow. Thanks for the recommendation.

Ron, I believe in the Twist Calculators, Especially when you get out at Some distance, A Bullet that shoots Good to 300 Yards might Go AWOL at 4, or 500 Hundred Yards? But like i have said before, i have seen Several Different Bullets Shoot LIGHTS OUT Good to near 300 Yards that according to the Twist Calculators were a NO GO

Accurate Molds makes a Great Bullet Mold, i have MANY of them. But there is a Difference in an Accurate Mold VS Say a BACO, Accurate Molds has a Tolerance Window of .002, And the way i cast (HOT) i am usually .002 Out on the BIG End, Example being, With a .442 i usually end up .444, Which is not a Big Deal since i have a .442 Sizer. The other thing about Accurate Molds is he Can Not Cut a Round or Pointed Nose, it HAS to have a Meplat, at Smallest .18, This is due to his Tooling (Lathe Boring)
With a BACO Mold, if you order a .443 you will get a .443, They can also cut a Rounded Nose. In short, BACO Molds are EXTREMELY Precise, Jim told me that he Shoots for a 1/2 a Thousandth, I own 5 of their Molds and ALL of them Cast SPOT ON What they are Supposed to, BACO Molds are CNC

I know i pictured this above, But wanted to ad it in this Post with the Twist Calculator, I bet this Bullet would Shoot Darn Good in the 1:30 Twist, It is a PLEASURE to Patch, You can Patch it DEAD ON the Bearing Surface due to being able to see it, and it has a Good Bearing Surface Length. This Bullet is also Fun to Shoot due to it’s 375 Grain Weight :lewis: Cast of 1-40 Alloy it would be right about 375 Grains (It weighs 377 Grains Cast of PURE Lead) it measures 1” inch long
1qeSLQ0.jpg

Cast of 1-20 Alloy they weighed 368 Grains, And Shot 1 Ragged Hole through my 1:20 Twist Rice Barrel
Ca2CfME.jpg

Here is that Bullet Plugged in the Twist Calculator, This thing would Shoot in the 1:30, i am confident of it
evBG6pu.jpg

Here is a Mold that i have always thought was a Cool idea :cool: I wanted one, But just haven’t done it. An adjustable Paper Patch Mold. BACO makes these as well.

Kal Tool & Die, With one of these you could Dial a Bullet right in to whatever Rifle/Twist You wanted? But I have heard from a Friend, and VERY Reliable Source that these Molds are a PITA to Deal with, Nearly impossible to get back to the exact same Place after adjusting Etc. He just wasn’t happy with them at all. And being a Nose Pour you have a Little Meplat (I Don’t feel is a Big Deal) In short, you don’t hear much about these, Probably for good reason. But they are a Neat Idea, and I don’t see why they wouldn’t work? Like anything else, you just have to learn it, get use to it

http://kal.castpics.net/Molds.html
M4xErbF.jpg

Last edited:
What has been your experience or what have you heard from Dave what is better for out yonder, nose pour or base pour?
Do you call brooks or do you order with the online tool?

Ron, I believe in the Twist Calculators, Especially when you get out at Some distance, A Bullet that shoots Good to 300 Yards might Go AWOL at 4, or 500 Hundred Yards? But like i have said before, i have seen Several Different Bullets Shoot LIGHTS OUT Good to near 300 Yards that according to the Twist Calculators were a NO GO

Accurate Molds makes a Great Bullet Mold, i have MANY of them. But there is a Difference in an Accurate Mold VS Say a BACO, Accurate Molds has a Tolerance Window of .002, And the way i cast (HOT) i am usually .002 Out on the BIG End, Example being, With a .442 i usually end up .444, Which is not a Big Deal since i have a .442 Sizer. The other thing about Accurate Molds is he Can Not Cut a Round or Pointed Nose, it HAS to have a Meplat, at Smallest .18, This is due to his Tooling (Lathe Boring)
With a BACO Mold, if you order a .443 you will get a .443, They can also cut a Rounded Nose. In short, BACO Molds are EXTREMELY Precise, Jim told me that he Shoots for a 1/2 a Thousandth, I own 5 of their Molds and ALL of them Cast SPOT ON What they are Supposed to, BACO Molds are CNC

I know i pictured this above, But wanted to ad it in this Post with the Twist Calculator, I bet this Bullet would Shoot Darn Good in the 1:30 Twist, It is a PLEASURE to Patch, You can Patch it DEAD ON the Bearing Surface due to being able to see it, and it has a Good Bearing Surface Length. This Bullet is also Fun to Shoot due to it’s 375 Grain Weight :lewis: Cast of 1-40 Alloy it would be right about 375 Grains (It weighs 377 Grains Cast of PURE Lead) it measures 1” inch long
1qeSLQ0.jpg

Cast of 1-20 Alloy they weighed 368 Grains, And Shot 1 Ragged Hole through my 1:20 Twist Rice Barrel
Ca2CfME.jpg

Here is that Bullet Plugged in the Twist Calculator, This thing would Shoot in the 1:30, i am confident of it
evBG6pu.jpg
That bullet looks familiar /Ed

What has been your experience or what have you heard from Dave what is better for out yonder, nose pour or base pour?
Do you call brooks or do you order with the online tool?

Base Pour, The Elliptical is HARD to beat :lewis: That is the Bullet i am using to 825 yards. Dave is a Grease Groove guy, SPG Lubed. He has very little to say about Paper Patch, The last time he said anything was fairly recently, He said “I love to see those guy’s coming“

The problem that i see with the Elliptical nose in the 1:30 Twist is the Bearing Surface you would lose in order to have that Looooong Sleek Nose with the Lighter/Shorter Bullet. Simply put, you can’t afford to Give up that much Bearing surface. This is why i mention the Creedmoor Style nose (The shorter Bullet standing beside mine in the Pic above, that shoots so well for me)

I would call Brooks, And talk to him, Explain to him what you want to do. I don’t own one of his molds, But they are Spoken EXTREMELY High of, I have never heard a single Bad word about his Molds, ALL Good.

Here is an example of 2 Bullets both Weighing 400 Grains, 1 shoots EXCEPTIONALLY Good, and the other was ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. The Bullet on the Right is the Exceptional Shooter (BACO .444-400) That thing FLAT OUT Shoots! it is the Smaller bullet in the Photo above standing beside the Bullets i sent you :lewis: The Bullet on the Left is one of the Worst Shooting Bullets i have Ever Shot, it was HORRIBLE at best, I ended up melting them Down. They were BACO, .442-400s, If you look Closely you can see it’s an odd Shaped nose, with a Noticeably shorter Bearing Surface
s1BRqJU.jpg

Last edited:
I have had a Stainless Green Mountain 45 cal LRH barrel sitting in my safe for a long time waiting for me to do something with it.

Well I picked up a donor TC Renegade. I installed a Lee Shavers mid range Sole sight with a Hadley eye cup with a Lee Shavers Ferriss front sight. I think I am ready to shoot it.

S68ByV4.jpg

xB6kvBr.jpg

iZKjOSm.jpg

fx2Ekio.jpg

W5nyCr3.jpg
Beautiful weapon sir...you should be proud!

Base Pour, The Elliptical is HARD to beat :lewis: That is the Bullet i am using to 825 yards. Dave is a Grease Groove guy, SPG Lubed. He has very little to say about Paper Patch, The last time he said anything was fairly recently, He said “I love to see those guy’s coming“

The problem that i see with the Elliptical nose in the 1:30 Twist is the Bearing Surface you would lose in order to have that Looooong Sleek Nose with the Lighter/Shorter Bullet. Simply put, you can’t afford to Give up that much Bearing surface. This is why i mention the Creedmoor Style nose (The shorter Bullet standing beside mine in the Pic above, that shoots so well for me)

I would call Brooks, And talk to him, Explain to him what you want to do. I don’t own one of his molds, But they are Spoken EXTREMELY High of, I have never heard a single Bad word about his Molds, ALL Good.

Here is an example of 2 Bullets both Weighing 400 Grains, 1 shoots EXCEPTIONALLY Good, and the other was ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. The Bullet on the Right is the Exceptional Shooter (BACO .444-400) That thing FLAT OUT Shoots! it is the Smaller bullet in the Photo above standing beside the Bullets i sent you :lewis: The Bullet on the Left is one of the Worst Shooting Bullets i have Ever Shot, it was HORRIBLE at best, I ended up melting them Down. They were BACO, .442-400s, If you look Closely you can see it’s an odd Shaped nose, with a Noticeably shorter Bearing Surface
s1BRqJU.jpg

I'm going back and reading and re reading all this stuff about ordering a mould. In this picture above there are two bullets. Is the one one the left the one I bought when I was at BACO? I know I got some big .451-550's. I know the other box I got were 400's but I don't remember which ones, I don't have the box any more.
Were the .444-400's on the right side in the picture some off the shelf bullets? I cant see the .440-400 in the mould section.
I was just looking at the Accurate moulds talked about in this thread and took in mind what you were saying about the stability of 1.50 was looking at this one.

BXhxKJ5.jpg

The twist calculator is saying this.

rIIvRmR.jpg

I haven't shot the new gun enough to get much of a feel for it. I plan to go out longer my next trip. But when the snow is a foot deep and no hunting season I am going through old info on moulds.
This 390 gr is with 1-20 lead. If I used the same lead mix I use with my 11mm bullets I bet it would be close to 400 if not the same as my 11mm at 408 grains.
I also know that for real long range this twist rate is not ideal. But I put this gun together for something to play with.
Would the mould above be worth trying?

The one bullet we discussed was the Accurate 400Q bullet.

BXikZhz.jpg

I put that one in the stability calculator and got this.

KLYsC0A.jpg

I am planning to also talk to brooks but this 390 gr bullet has me interested. Have you talked to anyone with one of the 390's?

Ron, That 44-390P is EXACTLY What i would do for the 1:30 Twist, That is a PERFECT Fit :lewis: You have the Form filled out Correct, Going with his + Tolerance like that you are GUARANTEED to get .442, But could be as big as .444, (Tom shoots for .001 over what you Ask, when going with his PLUS Tolerance) If you Cast HOT like i do for Optimum Fillout, you will likely end up at .443, Possibly .444 out of the Mold. You can Always Size, Either at the Bottom (.442) Or at the Top (When patched, to Iron)

Those 2 Bullets in the Pic are BACO PURE Lead, The one on the Left is .442 Diameter, 400 Grain, I NEVER Could get that Bullet to Shoot, I tried them in my RICE 1:20 Twist (That barrel shoots LIGHTS OUT Good with everything) I tried them in my Blued 1:30, They were a DISASTER at best, I tried everything, But Nothing I could do to get them to Shoot? I ended up melting down what was left in my Pure Lead Pot.
The Bullet on the Right is .444 Diameter, and also 400 Grains, it Shoots LIGHTS OUT GOOD!! I would put that Bullet against ANYTHING out there in the 1:30 Twist, I have shot MANY MANY Ragged Hole Groups with that Bullet in my Blued, and Stainless .45 LRH Barrels, It’s a DARN GOOD Bullet, and one i go to OFTEN :lewis:

The ONLY reason i tried that .442-400 was for the Smaller .442 Diameter, I expected them to look the Same as the .444-400s, But as you can see they are VERY Different Looking, That .442 was JUNK for me. Look how Short the Bearing Surface is compared to the Bullet on the Right, It also has an odd Shaped Ogive.

That 44-390P Looks an AWFUL Lot like the .444-400 (Bullet on the Right) The GOOD one :lewis: I would BANK on that 44-390P Bullet Shooting Well, I don’t like the looks of the 44-400Q NEAR as well, It has a Shorter Bearing Surface, Longer Nose to possibly Slump

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back