Ideal Elk Muzzy and bullet?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElDiablo

Supporting member
Reaction score
If you had a trophy elk tag this year in Arizona what would your ideal muzzleloader setup be?

I know there are a lot of potential variables, but it’s Arizona, so the only restriction is no smokeless. Any caliber and bullet weight is ok and you can use a scope if you want to.
Let’s say it’s a September hunt so the bulls will be rutting and you anticipate shots from 10-250 yards.

Rifle? Traditional/Inline? Sights/scope? Bullet/Powder?

Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts!

9C2E24BF-2146-4559-B6E3-84CBA87C07E6.jpeg
A nice bull in AZ last year.

For me t would all depend on the range of the expected shot! Even then if this is a one time trip for a trophy animal - I really would go with a scoped regular rifle.

Oops, just read you included range in your question, so at those ranges I really would go with a scoped ML, knowing that during the rut - the bulls think they are immortal and at times take a really good hit to get them down right away!

I would be using either BH or T7-2f - 120grV and a Lehigh 300 or 325 Brass CF-HP bullet - which now are unavailable. But I still have some!

My basic parameters for a short to mid range elk muzzy would be a lighter well-balanced 209 ignition inline. Probably a .50 caliber with a 26 inch or shorter barrel. Something in the 8.5 pounds max range for carrying around the mountains. Maybe an Omega X7 but I’d want some versatility with heavy controlled expansion bullets for elk so for me the 1:28 twists have been a little slow.
So maybe I’d put a faster 1:22 or 1:24 24” nitrided barrel on an Omega.

I’d put a light low-range variable power scope with an illuminated reticle on it for dark timber hunting. Something like a 2.5-8x36.

I’d plan to shoot 110-120 grains of BH209 and something like a Barnes 290 TEZ/TMZ or 300 gr .45 Swift A-Frame.

................... Let’s say it’s a September hunt so the bulls will be rutting and you anticipate shots from 10-250 yards.

Rifle? Traditional/Inline? Sights/scope? Bullet/Powder?................

Anticipation........ We all know how that works at times ;)

Rifle would be DUNAMIS, 45cal custom, Nightforce and 110grsW of BH209 and Arrowhead 350gr XLD bullets.

I had a late ML elk tag in AZ last year. Purchased a Brux barrel for an Encore from Arrowhead and used the 300gr XLD bullet NSR. Load was 105 grs of BH 209 by weight with a CCI 250. With a Labradar averaged 2,500. It shot extremely well at least for my skill 🥲. I got three different 2.25” 300 yard three shot groups with it off a bench. Topped it with a Swarovski z8. The hunt was very tough hot and not much action. Finally killed a nice meat bull last day of the seven day season at 310 yards. It was bang and down. Bullet passed through edge of shoulder and lungs. So that will be my set up should I draw again.

I had a late ML elk tag in AZ last year. Purchased a Brux barrel for an Encore from Arrowhead and used the 300gr XLD bullet NSR. Load was 105 grs of BH 209 by weight with a CCI 250. With a Labradar averaged 2,500. It shot extremely well at least for my skill 🥲. I got three different 2.25” 300 yard three shot groups with it off a bench. Topped it with a Swarovski z8. The hunt was very tough hot and not much action. Finally killed a nice meat bull last day of the seven day season at 310 yards. It was bang and down. Bullet passed through edge of shoulder and lungs. So that will be my set up should I draw again.
Sounds like it worked great for you. Those late hunts can be tough. I assume the bullet exploded? Did you recover any of the bullet or did it exit?

No it was a complete pass thru. Forgot to note above 45 caliber. Exit looked like it had some expansion.

I shoot a 30" barrel in .50 caliber, 115 gr. of 777 and 400 or 405 gr .45-70 bullets with Harvester crush rib sabots. The 405 gr. Remington bullets have dropped 3 cow elk in their tracks out to 220 yards. The fourth cow ran 35 yards.

Mountaineer 45cal 1-20 or Super DISC.

465gr Bullshop/80gr BH209 or about 90gr of other subs/real black. My DISC 45 shot that really well and i have no doubt its plenty for out to 200yards or maybe more.

Took me 16 years to draw my Utah muzzleloader tag. I used my LHR .50 with a Hornady xtp 300 gr. In a black crushrib sabot with 100gr. Volume of BH209. Shot was 209 yards and he didn’t go 20! We could not use a magnifying scope at the time, so I had an Aimpoint red dot on the rifle at the time.

Many bucks and bulls have now fallen to this combo so it’s hard for me not to go back to it, my old standby when all else fails. That said my Patriot will be going with me this year, just looking for the right bullet for it at this point.

Elk are not hard to kill despite what some would have you think! My experience has shown me that if you put a .45 cal bullet thru the boiler room, your going to have tenderloins for dinner.

90B05B0B-7F25-4961-B5D4-94BFB6B84A56.jpegCC2EF489-987D-4AA6-8BF0-3F5CEA06A033.jpeg

I’ve killed quite a few elk with a muzzy. Mostly with bonded 300 gr bullets. I agree they can be easy to kill but they can also be really hard to kill (locate) if you don’t make a perfect shot. Lots of bulls lost every year across the west to imperfect shots.

Light soft bullets kill just fine, but I had bad luck with even 400 gr. pointed pure lead bullets. Heart shots at 90 and 220 yards, the first one ran 90 yards with no blood trail. The second one wandered slowly off about 30 yards. Neither one left a blood trail. With a 400 gr. flat point, my results have been much better.

Light soft bullets kill just fine, but I had bad luck with even 400 gr. pointed pure lead bullets. Heart shots at 90 and 220 yards, the first one ran 90 yards with no blood trail. The second one wandered slowly off about 30 yards. Neither one left a blood trail. With a 400 gr. flat point, my results have been much better.
what is 400grain pure lead pointed bullet look like

Back