Ignition...#11, Musket & 209???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been dabbling in the Muzzleloader world for 25+ years...I started with a TC Renegade, then a CVA Apollo, a Winchester X150, an Austin Halleck, a Pedersolli/Cabelas in-line and now the Knight Disc Original. There have been a few repeats and others. But during this time of playing with MLs, I have used all 3 of the systems I listed. The Knight uses the 209 primer and I set the Renegade up to take a musket cap.

My point is that I have never had a failure with any of the 3 ignition sources...to be clear, I have only hunted with the Knight with the 209...And I have never shot in damp conditions and Every ML shot for me has been in Colorado, a fairly dry climate.

One of the reasons I stayed clear of the Muzzleloader was because people told me that the ignition was hit or miss and really un-reliable. This has not been the case in my experience...I wish I had taken Muzzleloaders more serious years ago...There were many times that I was out scouting and saw animals, that could have been taken with a Muzzleloader, but I wasn't even packing a rifle because it was Muzzleloader season...most times I was packing a shotgun for grouse...and then during rifle season, nothing and Tag-Soup for the season...

So...are the 209 primers really that much more reliable than the #11 and Musket caps or were friends and family just uninformed?

Great question bloodhound. Reliability can be affected by lots of things. If your ML is properly cleaned and loaded with the appropriate powder for its breechplug and ignition system then you should have no reliability problems. Real black powder by all accounts shouldnt need 209s. Unless youre fighting a problem with you gun. A lot of subs can be reliable with #11 or musket caps. But some like BH209 will only be reliable with 209s a short flame path and a good sealed load.

I've used all three types and have experienced failures with all three.
All have been my own fault for not being prepared for hunting in wet or cold conditions. Caps got wet or a bit of snow or rain got down the barrel. I think that more than 99% of the time, my guns will fire without issue.

I've only ever used #11 caps. They've been pretty reliable for me. I use electrical tape over the muzzle to keep the rain out. Learned that lesson the hard way once.

Thanks for the comments and info.

I should have also mentioned that I have also only used Pyrodex, I looked at T7 and real Black Powder, but because I was just dabbling I just stuck with what was easy to get and what I knew so that was Pyrodex. I know it also helps that Colorado is dry and on the one day that it rained while I was hunting, I had a baggie of black baloons and put one over the muzzle. When I fired the load at the end of my season to empty the gun, it fired with no issue.

To me the M-L takes a little extra fiddling, setup & care, compared to the shotgun slug gun or other modern center fire. That extra care isn’t that bad though. What I mean is properly cleaning, drying, then loading for the hunt.

Once I set things up, I have 100% confidence the gun will preform if a shot is presented. The ‘speed loaders’ are there should an expeditious reload be called for.

Only time I had ignition problem was with RWS #11 caps being too tight on my white shotgun nipple. I was squirrel hunting so just didn't get that squirrel.
I switched to Remington Magnum#11 caps and no more misfires.
I still use the RWS in the TC sidelocks not a concern yet.

Percussion caps have always been reliable for me. Plus, they're legal everywhere.
Except for using BH209 powder, or the rifle design requires them, 209 primers in muzzleloaders just aren't necessary.

I've only used #11 or Musket caps. I have hunted in conditions that would make a duck run for cover. I have never had a failure to fire when a shooting opportunity came along. Put tape or a finger cot over your muzzle. Keep your breach covered with cling wrap, or just your hand. Your gun should go bang!

I have hunted for many years with #11 caps, been plenty worried a few times when the weather was really wet but I have never had an ignition failure using pyrodex. I migrated to 209 primers a few years ago with the black diamond, partly to feel more confident but also to have the same primers as my hunting partner, certainly did not need to.

I will have an ignition failure from time to time with flintlocks and #11 caps (wet/moist conditions), but I don't hunt with those in those kind of conditions generally with those guns. If the forecast is calling for any kind of moisture I will use one of my in-line muzzleloaders for hunting. Never have I had a failure with one of those. Always keep the fire channel clear with whatever rifle you are using, and if you have to use a muzzleloader that uses a cap in wetter conditions, don't put that cap on until you absolutely have to. I will then remove it and put it back into my primer holder if I don't actually use it.

Thanks to all...I have 2 now, both Knights, a Disc .50 and a Black 0Knight .54. The 54 is set up to use #11, so I think I'll leave it just the way it is and head to the range.

Never had an ignition issue in almost 35 years of using Black, pyrodex, T7 and BH209 (and all caps/primers). As has been said, proper loading and weatherproofing is critical.

Back