IL 2019 Hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
8C611F0B-EB8B-40C5-A06E-16735C52305F.jpeg I was down for the 1st deer hunt, great weather. The deer numbers were a bit lower than long term averages, also less pressure on neighboring properties.

The 1st day, not a whole lot. A relative got a 10 pt, with 1/3 of the tines broke from fighting, wide spread though. At this property it’s expected, wall-hangars or anterless, no 6 pointers. He used a 50 cal Extreme I passed his way.

Day two I was in a good spot, started seeing good activity 1 hour before quitting time. Here comes a badly wounded, average, 8 ptr, normally passed on here. I did a quick debate, then took it at 30 yards. Since we had to come for the down buck, I took an adult doe 20 minutes later, 60 yards. Both very easy recoveries, zero yards traveled, then 10 yards after the ‘crazy run’.

I used my 45 cal Elite, 115 grains of B209, CCIM primer & a 200 grn Hornady XTP, Crush-Rib sabot. A rather simple load, tack-driving with my Zeiss 3-9 Conquest.

Just an after hunt report, nothing exceeding special, fine hunt.

Ethical choice on to take that animal down so as not to suffer or go to waste. Was it badly wounded from another hunter, or something else?

This injured deer would take 3-4 pained steps, then stop. I had about a minute to think it over. There was 1 hour left that eve, then the next morning’s hunt. At most I could do 1 day on the ‘2nd hunt’. It was a $325 non-res tag, FYI.

I think it was a rife or maybe a bow shot near or in the stomach area. The stomach was somewhat bloated on field dressing, but there were no obvious, fresh wounds. I do believe it was a wound or less so a vehicle injury over any disease issue.

We have people lined up to take the deer. This one went to a local processor to be given to one of those. I don’t expect more details when they skin, with all the other deer in the cooler, but maybe. Over the years they find all sorts of things like embedded arrow tips, etc..

I did look a little for another hole, there was a suspect area, but we didn’t remove the hide. The rest of the field dressing was mostly normal. We even have someone who wants the hearts, saved her 3 over the weekend.

Over the years we’ve dealt with a fair amount of wounded deer. A partner tagged a 6 pt that was in rough shape a few years back. Just a lighter limp isn’t enough, a relative had a Doe with a totally broken leg(vehicle) live years & give birth near his MI house.

The day we left IL(Sunday) a neighbor called & said he almost hit a wounded 8 pt walking down the road driving in to hunt. This would be about 2 miles away, the morning AFTER I shot this deer.

Hunt long enough & ‘stuff happens’, but I really try to be picky about shooting. I have no interest in letting 3 shots(IL limit) go with the semi-auto shotgun at the 150 yard running deer.

Latest posts

Back