IL Deer Weekend

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The weather was pretty good, 4 of us all got bucks, no monsters. The 1st shot I took was a coyote trotting my way, the wind was right, I let him come to 25 yards or so.

Just about time to call it quits Sunday morning I was scanning the far ridge. I saw a 4 point, then not long after, a twitch from a bedded deer. His head was mostly behind a tree, I watched & evaluated through my Zeiss at 140 yards or so. It took 20 minutes to finally get a good scan, eventually deciding to pass on him, lite QDM property.

As events unfolded, a 4 point walked near my stand, into standing corn. The bedded deer looked & listened, then decided to stand up. I checked him out some more. I then see he was struggling to walk, very pronounced limp. He was mostly standing, not going anywhere. I already had the shot figured out, down he went. He ended up being a small 10 point. He did have a messed up foot/hoof, a casual search turned up no fresh wounds. I wasn’t mistaken on the very labored walk.

It was a good hunt. A little lite drama as we contacted a neighbor to retrieve a deer 100 yards into his property. He was kinda suggesting we move a stand that’s 130 yards on our side of the leased land. I’m not the leaseholder, but I told the holder it was fine where it was at. They went back & forth over it much more than I would of, feeding the troll. 9B855593-0308-4D7A-B5C0-6AEAECC9422F.jpegA88B9CC9-FED9-49C1-81D4-536C9515CD13.jpeg

Any horns are good horns in my book, but then I am not a head hunter. Congrats on the successful hunt, including the prairie mutt.

The weather was pretty good, 4 of us all got bucks, no monsters. The 1st shot I took was a coyote trotting my way, the wind was right, I let him come to 25 yards or so.

Just about time to call it quits Sunday morning I was scanning the far ridge. I saw a 4 point, then not long after, a twitch from a bedded deer. His head was mostly behind a tree, I watched & evaluated through my Zeiss at 140 yards or so. It took 20 minutes to finally get a good scan, eventually deciding to pass on him, lite QDM property.

As events unfolded, a 4 point walked near my stand, into standing corn. The bedded deer looked & listened, then decided to stand up. I checked him out some more. I then see he was struggling to walk, very pronounced limp. He was mostly standing, not going anywhere. I already had the shot figured out, down he went. He ended up being a small 10 point. He did have a messed up foot/hoof, a casual search turned up no fresh wounds. I wasn’t mistaken on the very labored walk.

It was a good hunt. A little lite drama as we contacted a neighbor to retrieve a deer 100 yards into his property. He was kinda suggesting we move a stand that’s 130 yards on our side of the leased land. I’m not the leaseholder, but I told the holder it was fine where it was at. They went back & forth over it much more than I would of, feeding the troll. View attachment 17651View attachment 17652
Those are some nice bucks! Happy eating!

Very nice deer. I'm curious about the range, bullet, load,and velocity used for a deer that apparently went more than 100 yards after being shot. Was the shot placement good? I use 340 gr. bullets for deer, and I've never had one move after being shot, although my buddy shot a very nice mule deer that went about 50 yards. I know most people use much lighter bullets, so I'm just curious.

Latest posts

Back