IL Ever Going To Allow Centerfire Rifle for Deer?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yes, more States have done it, with restrictions. I’m not buying any new rifle, my Knight Elite has been most excellent.

I was recently working with a guy, he acted like a bill was soon to be approved? I googled, only saw proposals over the last few years? Just skimming, those bills had an assortment of restrictions, the 350 Legend seems in the wheelhouse.

If I could use my 444 Marlin or 45-70, I think I’d do it. The bills introduced seemed to lean single-shot for the rifle. If so, may as well stick with the M-L.

In know that in MN, a lot of bills get introduced… then go nowhere. Your coworker might want to wait on that new deer gun until the law changes! 😆

A coworker and I got inline MZs specifically for deer hunting, a few years back. Then he called in a panic, because a bill had been introduced to ban inlines for our special MZ season.

I suggested that a similar bill was introduced every year (it was, for a long time). It seemed like there would also be a bill to allow magnified scopes during MZ season, every year. They tended to cancel each other out, annually!

Now, seventeen years later, you can still use inlines, AND you can use scopes…

I haven’t heard any rumblings about allowing “straight walled” centerfires in our “shotgun zone…” -BUT- You can use a “pistol” or an MZ.

MZs were grudgingly accepted by most shotgun hunters, but the bottleneck cartridges in Contenders, Encores, etc. certainly ruffled some feathers. Then the AR “pistols” arrived in .308 Win. They ruffled more feathers, yet!

I can’t use my iron-sighted M94 .30-30 Win. “Trapper” because it’s a “high-power” rifle. My neighbor can use a scoped Encore “pistol” in .270 Win. w/a bipod though… it’s “just a pistol…“ 😂

”It’s government. It doesn’t have to make sense!“ 😡

Interesting note- most of us in the MN shotgun zone were always led to believe that prohibiting rifles on the prairie was a “safety” issue. There’s some evidence that it was originally used as a management tool, to limit harvest by limiting the effective distance of the firearms involved. Foster slugs out of smoothbore IC barrels with only a vent rib are certainly able to limit effective range. Rifled barrels w/sabots changed that, somewhat! 😎

Last edited:
Yes, I think the guy was getting ahead of the legislation. I’ve deer hunted IL for near 20 years, prefer my M-L over shotgun options. Here in WI, the rifle area expanded to most of the State when they wanted numbers down with CWD becoming prevalent.

I’ve never felt the need to get the larger, bolt-action ‘handgun’, to meet the regulations. I don’t even use my 7.5” barreled 44 mag Redhawk. Where I hunt, wounded game is heavily frowned upon. I can’t be chancing a 120 yard shot with a handgun.

Anyhoo, thought I’d ask about it, no reason to change.

While Delaware passed a Pistol cartridge rifles with certain restrictions I still rather use my Muzzle loader I have use it over a shotgun for as long as I lived in Delaware And still will My ML'er will do anything a pistol rifle will do with more bang for the buck

I have only taken one deer in my life with a shotgun, and I will never do it again. It did the job just fine, but a dialed in muzzleloader with a scope will outdistance any rifled/sabot shotgun. That being said, I do like to deer hunt with a pistol as well. I view it as a challenge at closer ranges. I will also mix it up when I hunt in IA with straight-walled cartridge firearms, like my 45-70 or 500 Auto Max. I do not think IL will allow bottleneck cartridges to be fired from rifles ever, possibly straight-wall cartridges. I do wonder what the speed of a bottleneck cartridge is however coming out of a contender "pistol", which as referenced above is legal in IL.

bottleneck cartridges are legal in IL only if they are greater than 30 cal and have a case shorter than 1.4", and are factory loaded. I saw the same legislation HB2459, I think, and it was straight wall and single shot. What is the point? Stay with the muzzy. I would love to use my 77/44 but it is a bolt and too much firepower. I hate the politics in my state.

There are virtually no bottleneck cartridges out there that are legal to use in IL for deer hunting, 300 Black Out is about all that comes to mind. And I know it can only be shot in some single shot mode. I don't think it can have a magazine attached (not sure about that though).

I heard straight walled rifles were recently passed in the house with 100% of the votes and has been moved to the senate. It supposed to be single shots only. Heard it from a friend. Not sure where he heard it.

There are virtually no bottleneck cartridges out there that are legal to use in IL for deer hunting, 300 Black Out is about all that comes to mind. And I know it can only be shot in some single shot mode. I don't think it can have a magazine attached (not sure about that though).

What about that 350 Legend that came out a few years back?

I'm on the opposite side of this argument. Here we have no weapon specific seasons, and I wish they'd introduce it. As a bow and muzzleloader hunter it's hard work on public when you're competing against guys shooting deer from up to 1000 yards away or with thermal scopes.

Yeah, with that case length restriction, I’ll just stick with my muzzle-loader. Not really sure if it passed completely yet or just introduced.

What about that 350 Legend that came out a few years back?
350 Legend case is too long. I love the cartridge. The boys I take deer hunting in IA use it- low recoil, extremely accurate, and good expansion ( I use 165gr Hornady FTX bullets with H110). I also have a Magnum Research BFR in 350 Legend that I use. Haven't taken a shot at a deer with it yet, but it is accurate w I th open sights (50ish yrds would basically be my max range). I would by my 14 yr old daughter one of these in a second if they were legal in IL. Until then, 100grs of 777 f I r her with her Traditions Youth Buckstalker.

350 Legend case is too long. I love the cartridge. The boys I take deer hunting in IA use it- low recoil, extremely accurate, and good expansion ( I use 165gr Hornady FTX bullets with H110). I also have a Magnum Research BFR in 350 Legend that I use. Haven't taken a shot at a deer with it yet, but it is accurate w I th open sights (50ish yrds would basically be my max range). I would by my 14 yr old daughter one of these in a second if they were legal in IL. Until then, 100grs of 777 f I r her with her Traditions Youth Buckstalker.
The case length mentioned pertains to bottlenecked cartridges. No length is specified for straight walled cases, just .30 caliber or above.

Yeah, with that case length restriction, I’ll just stick with my muzzle-loader. Not really sure if it passed completely yet or just introduced.
That's for bottlenecked cartridges. Straight walled cartridges have no mention of length.

Past a few years ago here in Michigan legislation allows for a straightwall cartridge to have a case length of 1.8 in That is what started the 450 Bushmaster craze here in Michigan. Now the 350 Legend has quite a following as well.. 444 and 450 Marlins and 45/70's are to long.

Thanks to mandatory hunter safety training, Missouri has nearly zero firearms fatalities during deer seasons that last from Sept 15-Jan 15 but allows everything from spears to .50 bmg during various portions.

Laws are made by non-hunters. Without effective lobbying, stupid rules will always be a plague. Last session, over 2300 bills were proposed. Bills passed and signed into law? Fewer than 70.

Chances of state legislators even scheduling committee hearings on deer hunting changes ? Zero.

For us, rules are made by the state Conservation Commission, not reps and senators thanks to ongoing efforts of long-established outdoor sports organizations. Don't know about other states. Works for us.

Don’t get your hopes up yet . The house has approved the bill so far . Absolutely no bottleneck cartridges considered . Straight wall cartridges only a minimum of 30 caliber no maximum but single shot only . I have no problem with that . My 444 Marlin or 450 Marlin encore with custom stock will work just fine . Ethical hunters taking only ethical shots only need one well placed shot to do the job . Another pair that would be great are to fill the bill are my buffalo hunter single shots in 45-110 Sharps or 45-120 Sharps . However my 2 10 ML 2s have never let me down . This just opens up other options & choices . More decisions to take into account but the choice is yours to make . Reliability & a well placed humane shot to dispatch the quarry as quickly and effectively as possible .

I built a smokeless ML to hunt the family farm. Honestly, going to a cartridge would be a step backward. I'll stick with my SML, but it would be good for my brothers.

Latest posts

Back