IL Ever Going To Allow Centerfire Rifle for Deer?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These bills are stalled in committee, and in the Senate the committee chair is from Northern Minnesota where, IMHO, most of the hunters who reside in shotguns zones hunt. Take away the shotgun zone restriction, a lot of hunters who travel north will hunt down south, and west, near home with rifles, and not spend their hunting dollars up north. It's all about the money, MN folks. MN hunters in the shotgun zone need to speak up to the legislators to get this done. Apathy is the worst enemy regarding legislation that impacts the hunting community.

Sorry bud, but the real deer hunting in Minnesota is in the southern half of the state. Wolf hunting should be a northern Minnesota hunting consideration in spite of the federal restrictions on such. Carve the wolf population down a bit then northern Minnesota might see some re-population of the once famous deer herd.

Indiana started rifle cartridges a few years ago mostly only applies to private owned land and most are not allowed at all on Public ground. They started with Pistol Cartridges then went to cartridges 1.80 inches or less. I trimmed down 35 Rem cartridges from 1.92 to 1.80 and reloaded them using a milled down crimp die so that I could seat them standard depth and have a slight crimp. Worked pretty well but dont have to do it anymore because of new regulations that allow most cartridges.

Sorry bud, but the real deer hunting in Minnesota is in the southern half of the state. Wolf hunting should be a northern Minnesota hunting consideration in spite of the federal restrictions on such. Carve the wolf population down a bit then northern Minnesota might see some re-population of the once famous deer herd.
I'm not going to derail this thread for the OP by starting a debate on MN deer hunting. You are entitled to your opinion, as I am mine. The point is the MN shotgun zone elimination bills have been stalled in committee for 2 years now. My opinion on that status is based on comments from the Senate committee chair herself. You want to argue about MN deer hunting, take it to PM, or start another thread. And yes, I live in MN, and have deer hunted here for decades.

To totally understand the logic behind single shot you have to think like a politician . That means you have to be illogical . They want to be in complete & total control . They also want hunters believe they are doing them a huge favor at the same time so you will vote for them . I can partially understand because ethical hunters that can shoot should only need one shot to harvest an animal . I always know when I hear 3 well spaced shots the quarry has eluded the shooter . Usually in deer & turkey hunting one single boom is meat on the table . When you hear 3 or more shots those follow ups are just wasted ammo . I believe in my military related shooting skills . ONE SHOT ONE KILL it works for me & always has . The only outdoor hunting adventure this does not apply to is waterfowl 2 or 3 shots multiple kills . Upland game the same way . That reminds me of a sign 1 of my daughters gave me . Due to the high cost os ammo no warning shots will be fired .
I agree with you the vast majority of the time (one reason why I deer hunt almost exclusively with a muzzleloader). That being said, anyone can take a shot that doesn't hit the way it was intended. When I hunt in IA I will break out my Henry 45-70 or my 500 Auto Max (simply like to mix it up). A couple years ago I hit a buck with my 500 Auto Max that was definitely lethal, but I didn't want to track him down into a deep ravine, so I took another shot in the high shoulder to drop him on the spot. There are always situations where another shot may be needed or desired. As I said earlier in the thread, I just hate the guys dumping full magazines when party hunting.

Thanks for the update-That is good news- wish it could start this year, but I guess the upside is that I won't need to buy my daughter a 350 Legend for another year or so. I just wish it wasn't single shot, but better than nothing. I'll be sticking with my muzzleloaders during firearm seasons.

I question if I could disable the tubular magazine and make it a single shot?

Yes, I believe you could plug the tubular magazine. Any rifle capable of holding more than one cartridge (including the chamber) would need to be modified so that it can only hold one.

I sent a question to the DNR asking if centerfire would be allowed in the Fall 2022 firearms season. I'll report back. I've heard 1/3/23 is the effective date but didn't find it in the legislation, so thought I'd ask.

Last edited:
I agree with you the vast majority of the time (one reason why I deer hunt almost exclusively with a muzzleloader). That being said, anyone can take a shot that doesn't hit the way it was intended. When I hunt in IA I will break out my Henry 45-70 or my 500 Auto Max (simply like to mix it up). A couple years ago I hit a buck with my 500 Auto Max that was definitely lethal, but I didn't want to track him down into a deep ravine, so I took another shot in the high shoulder to drop him on the spot. There are always situations where another shot may be needed or desired. As I said earlier in the thread, I just hate the guys dumping full magazines when party hunting.

never heard of a auto max. What is it.
Thanks

I question if I could disable the tubular magazine and make it a single shot?
I would think so, since you can put a plug in a shotgun to only allow 3 shots instead of 5. I honestly don't know why they insisted on single shot only, since a deer hunter can have 3 slugs in a shotgun, but better than nothing.

never heard of a auto max. What is it.
Thanks
It is an AR platform- uses a rimliss 500 Smith and Wesson cartridge. They are produced by Big Horn Armory- it just uses a regular .223 magazine. I use a 10 round .223 mag, that allows me 5 rounds of 500 Auto Max. It packs a whallop- I use a 350gr Sierra JHP behind some Accurate 4100 for my hunting loads. I have tried a variety of powder and bullet combos and found that particular bullet and powder to produce the most consistent results. I shot a doe this year with it at 161 yrds-used a bit of kentucky windage (rifle is zeroed at 100 yrds). My muzzleloaders are still my favorite deer rifles, but like I said in an earlier post, it's fun to mix it up from time to time.

I missed this before but appears that rifles will not be legal until January 1, 2023, meaning the 2023 firearms season for deer. It's in the link I posted above, and here:
Screenshot 2022-06-02 7.46.18 PM.png

Technically, for a number of counties in IL that allow late season/CWD hunting a hunter can use the rifle for those late seasons. I haven't looked at the calendar, but for the 2021 deer season, CWD and late antlerless were at the end of December/first couple days in January and then the second CWD/late antlerless was around Jan 15th. So, depending on what county one would be hunting in, an individual could use their straight wall, single shot for possibly a couple weekends- the one in mid-January for sure.

I would think so, since you can put a plug in a shotgun to only allow 3 shots instead of 5. I honestly don't know why they insisted on single shot only, since a deer hunter can have 3 slugs in a shotgun, but better than nothing.
Or 6 in a revolver

Back