Illinois adopts new firearm deer hunting rules in January 2023.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would bet that this is not what hunters were wanting when they wished for straight walled cartridges to be legal.

It wasn't what I was hoping for. I don't really care myself, though I do like to hunt from time to time with something different than my muzzleloader, and have in IA a few seasons. I really wanted the straight wall cartridge law to pass for my daughter, who will hunt with the ML but prefers less recoil. The 350 Legend is what she will be using after January 1st for our CWD season in January. I know this first year I will just borrow my friend's son's Savage and leave the box mag out. She has shot it before and loves it, so I would like to see her harvest one with it this winter.

With the scarcity of shotgun slugs it makes sense. Just have to modify my 1894

It wasn't what I was hoping for. I don't really care myself, though I do like to hunt from time to time with something different than my muzzleloader, and have in IA a few seasons. I really wanted the straight wall cartridge law to pass for my daughter, who will hunt with the ML but prefers less recoil. The 350 Legend is what she will be using after January 1st for our CWD season in January. I know this first year I will just borrow my friend's son's Savage and leave the box mag out. She has shot it before and loves it, so I would like to see her harvest one with it this winter.
I'm with you Harley, I don't really care and see no harm in this change. I do not hunt any longer with a slug gun and have gone wholly to smokeless muzzleloaders during the firearm and muzzleloading seasons. Although I still have a CVA scout 45/70 that I have not converted. I may have to give that a try, but it is hard to move away from my smokeless 45's, they are tops in all other usable Illinois Deer hunting opportunities.

I would like to see Illinois allow use of bullets smaller than 44 cal in black powder firearms, the 429 XTP flies great but was happy with the TC cheap shot sabots and their version of 240 grain XTPs that I believe are 451. Illinois is sort of crazy in how they make their laws. I say this bc I’d like to just have to buy one bullet for muzzleloading and reloading

I had tried calling and speaking to Illinois Reps to allow the use .39 cal bullets and larger in muzzleloaders. My calls mostly went unanswered and received little response from letters and emails other than the form letter thanking me for my interest. I wanted to use a .40 cal smokeless in our seasons.

Hey, I read this, thought it wouldn’t matter, maybe I can now? I have lever guns in 444 Marlin and 45-70. It seems as long as I meet the single-shot requirements, I could use either? If that’s true, I may try one next year. It’s easier to load another cartridge than reloading a muzzle-loader, cleaning also.

Just looked, they have a list of cartridges, 444 Marlin, 45-70, & 41 mag(I have) are listed. I think if I left the magazine tube rod at home, I’d have a single-shot.

I had tried calling and speaking to Illinois Reps to allow the use .39 cal bullets and larger in muzzleloaders. My calls mostly went unanswered and received little response from letters and emails other than the form letter thanking me for my interest. I wanted to use a .40 cal smokeless in our seasons.
I believe at the moment you must use a .45 or larger bullet in a muzzleloader. Can use smaller caliber in pistols so I don't understand the rationale, but then that is often the case.

Bottleneck cartridge not to exceed 1 2/5"? With at least 500 f/p of energy? Doesn't leave a lot of options. Also, ammunition has to be factory-made, with ballistics published? That rules out the 50-90 Sharps .....

I believe at the moment you must use a .45 or larger bullet in a muzzleloader. Can use smaller caliber in pistols so I don't understand the rationale, but then that is often the case.
.44 round ball or bullet. I dislike this law .429 XTPs fly great but not legal.

Bottleneck cartridge not to exceed 1 2/5"? With at least 500 f/p of energy? Doesn't leave a lot of options. Also, ammunition has to be factory-made, with ballistics published? That rules out the 50-90 Sharps .....

I’d think if one sticks with straight-walled rifle cartridges you’d be fine, once meeting the single shot requirements. The 50-90 is kinda like the 45-70 anyway. Here’s a list of approved cartridges, if big enough to read.

Attachments

• 82C23111-1E06-4DB4-A20F-AE4F167149C1.png
    82C23111-1E06-4DB4-A20F-AE4F167149C1.png
    616.5 KB · Views: 2
.44 round ball or bullet. I dislike this law .429 XTPs fly great but not legal.
I believe that the law states 44 caliber not .44 diameter, so a .429/.430 bullet is ok. I have met lots of GW and none have ever looked down the barrel of my MZ or asked to see the bullets I am shooting.

"For shotguns and muzzleloading firearms, the minimum size of the projectile shall be .44 caliber. A wad or sleeve is not considered a projectile or a part of the projectile. "

The statement is relatively vague, it is obviously written by politicians not gun people.

Remember it don't gotta make sense, my .40 225 gr saboted bullet is illegal, but a 30 carbine out of a pistol is.

I believe that the law states 44 caliber not .44 diameter, so a .429/.430 bullet is ok. I have met lots of GW and none have ever looked down the barrel of my MZ or asked to see the bullets I am shooting.

"For shotguns and muzzleloading firearms, the minimum size of the projectile shall be .44 caliber. A wad or sleeve is not considered a projectile or a part of the projectile. "

The statement is relatively vague, it is obviously written by politicians not gun people.

Remember it don't gotta make sense, my .40 225 gr saboted bullet is illegal, but a 30 carbine out of a pistol is.
This is the way I interpret the regulations therefore I have never had a problem using a .429 bullet.

It would be nice to buy the box of XTP 429 reload for my Marlin 1894, the revolver and my black powder firearms

I know the perfect gun and ammo for this type of scenario. I purchased a single shot, break action CVA Scout chambered in 45-70 Gov a few years back. I put an old Leupold 3-9x40 scope on it and loaded it with Hornady 325 FTX Lever Revolution bullets. I was so amazed with the accuracy out to 100 yds, that I swapped out the scope. Ended up putting a 4-16x42 Vortex scope on it with BDC. With this set up I would have no problem taking a deer out to 300 yds if the opportunity ever presents itself.

Latest posts

Back