I'm liking my .50 Browning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gave her a good going over. This hasn't been done in many years judging by how bone dry everything was.
The browning is still a wee bit active, so I need to put a stop to that.
The bore checks out with a .500 bore .520 groove and 1-62 twist. Not a hint of fouling or abuse. The threads on the clean out screw are still bright.
I'm going to give her a good healthy snort of linseed oil. Especially in the inletting.
She does hang quite well offhand and even though she's 9 pounds plus, she carries it very well. Much better than the Pedersoli Hawken I handled.
First chance I get I'll be sending a few .490s down range! Can not wait!
I must confess that , even though I'm a die hard inliner, sidelocks DO have a certain charm...

Mine shot lights out (from a rest) with a .495 ball. Can't remember the patch, but I would typically would have used pillow ticking @ 18 thou. This would have been 1978 ish.

Glad it turned out so well. My 50 cal has a .503 bore and .520 grove and shoots the .495 with .018 pillow tick patch mink oil lube well. Better with the 1/8" over powder dry felt wad pushed by 85 gr. 3f goex. 490 was all over the target.

Thanks Gents!
Appreciate the info. I hope this one will shoot well. BEAST of a rifle compared to my itty bitty Firehawk. Even makes my Hawken seem a bit petite.
I've always struggled to get, what I consider, good, consistent accuracy with ball.
Once a good load is found, I'll be chomping at the bit to blood her.

Back