Im now a noob sml owner

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im not looking for a starting load. Just it's potential use. I have heard of someone using it and was asking for opinions. Someone used it in an sml and was up to 180 grains. I wonder where he started. I know this gun is not built to withstand that kind of load and have no intention of shooting cutting edge loads. As im new to this, i am soaking up all the info that i can.

All i can do is look up a cartridge like a 404 Jeffry and that powder is too slow for it even with a 400gr bullet. That round pushes a 400gr around 2300fps. I think 4350 was the slowest i saw listed.

What is important is
NO BALL powders because they can get through a flash hole, unless using a DI setup.
Look for loads with a 100% load density or slightly compressed as a guide. What is fine in a 80% filled case may not be fine in a compressed ML load. Chances are good its not.

You cant assume 45cal smooth sized load data is gunna be safe in a 44cal full formed load. It may be close but its likely more peak and you must know the peak of the 45cal load. Ive seen 45cal 4198 loads listed that are 50kspi plus.

DI and LRMP module load data is not interchangable. DI makes more peak and we got far less traces using DI.

If the breech is 1.2" OD for the first 5" you got a pretty tough setup. Loads around 50kpsi are no problem for that contour. If you got a Remage it wont handle as hot of a load. (safely)

Last edited:
I would try and stay with middle of the road known charges of
Either of the 4198 IMR or H
H322
RL 7
VV N110
VV N120
I have zero experience with a 44 cal all my rifles are 45
These powders will work safely and you will have an accurate load
I have been tempted to try new charges with my rifles
However I’ve never been disappointed with my accuracy or velocity to shoot $2 Pittman Bullets into the berm
Kind regards

I would try and stay with middle of the road known charges of
Either of the 4198 IMR or H
H322
RL 7
VV N110
VV N120
I have zero experience with a 44 cal all my rifles are 45
These powders will work safely and you will have an accurate load
I have been tempted to try new charges with my rifles
However I’ve never been disappointed with my accuracy or velocity to shoot $2 Pittman Bullets into the berm
Kind regards

Im always watching for those powders you mention. So far ive only got the 4198. Thats the reason i ask about other powders. My BIL probably has every powder i could ever want, but im not ready to ask him for some yet.

Absolutely always make sure you use the BIL for emergencies only lol
Did you make it out to the club this weekend ?
To darn cold for me !
I shot a 50 caliber BP Express in my backyard range with a arrowhead breech plug conversion I installed for a friend
Three shots of BH 209 and that was enough for me

Absolutely always make sure you use the BIL for emergencies only lol
Did you make it out to the club this weekend ?
To darn cold for me !
I shot a 50 caliber BP Express in my backyard range with a arrowhead breech plug conversion I installed for a friend
Three shots of BH 209 and that was enough for me
No brake, or too cold?

Out of the powder and bullets you have listed, a combination of 4198 and the 250gr should not get even close to 50Kpsi unless you go nuts with powder. From the LRMP traces ive seen i bet you can shoot it way faster than you want and never break 45Kpsi. 60gr of 4198 and a 275gr or 65gr/250gr wont even break 45Kpsi using DI so im pretty confident its ok in a 44cal too. Thats about a 2600fps load for the 275gr.

Last edited:
GM54-120
Sounds like a solid and safe accurate combination that will prove to be deadly on any whitetail
Now comes the fun part load development with powder charges and bullet selection and lots of shooting Muzzy I’ll see you in the range sometime soon and we can send a few in the berm

With my rifles I have 45 cal Brux 1-20” sendero contours on all 3 of our rifles and they shoot 73 grains of H4198 with a 300 aero max Pittman Bullets around 2800 FPS and they are more than enough for anything I will ever need
Some guys shoot more powder some shoot less Don’t feel like slower loads are not going to get it done When I started it was 54 cal 425 Buffalo bore Bullets and 120 grains of 2f elephant powder chugging along at 1500 FPS and it absolutely killed everything I shot with it
With my BH209 loads I use 115 grains with the same bullet and run around 2650 FPS both loads are extremely accurate in my rifles
BUT please remember these are 45 caliber loads and are a very safe load in my rifles so please start low and work up to a good load for yours
with your 44 caliber barrel it will be different loads but just as deadly on anything in this country
Regards and keep em in the middle

In a 45cal or even a 44cal it would take a ton of BH209 to break 32Kpsi unless you get into really heavy bullets. Swinglock traced a 350gr with 120grV and didnt even make 27Kpsi full formed. I think a guy who went by AJ traced some jumbo BH209 loads and they hit right around 32Kpsi.
350-Fury-Star-Tip-FF-105gr-Wt-BH209.jpg

It was a little chilly but sunny. 9°f. I made up a little powder and priming station in the back of my jeep. I will add a sizer to it when my new press shows up.
The range shooting 100yds
20210207_151933.jpg
Red is 80grW bh209 and Fury4 250
Blue is 82grW and Fury 250 after a scope adjust
20210207_165814~3.jpg
The rest are a couple fliers and sighters at 75grW bh209

I would have been shivering shakes so bad, to even hit the plate.

Back