IMR 4759

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with 4227 is it was made for magnum pistol type loads. It operates best in that pressure range. That can be a bit high for sabot loads. Light it up good with a tight sabot and it works.
Understood, but its what I have. Unless there is some interest in the Win 296 or 571. I have 2lb of each

I will try it someday in my NULA. A couple NULA owners had luck with it. I think its because a NULA ignites powder a little better than a MLII plug. Some of the guys shooting 45s sabotless got it to work without a problem too but they are using LRMP modules or direct ignition. It got a really bad rap in the older MLIIs for FTF.

Its probably still not a powder i would risk using when a nice buck walks out during the season but it sure might be worth a try at the range.

I wish 4759 was still available. I'm down to my last 3/4 bottle. I make it a point to stop in at every small town gun shop I pass, hoping one of these out-of-the-way stores might still have some 4759 on a back shelf. No luck so far.

where you at? I have a little over a pound and a half that I’m no longer using. I’m in central Indiana, obviously I couldn’t ship but if you were close enough.

Are you talking about SR4759? I use to use that in 20 ga loads. I did not know they quit making it. It; a real close to IMR4227 if I remember right. Just a tad faster burning. I think the SR4759 was also used in pistol loads.

Yes, all 4759 is the same, over the years it has been discontinued and brought back, always the same powder but with different letter combinations. IMR-SR4759. 4759 was originally developed for reduced velocity loads in the 30-06. Springfield Armory needed a reliable powder to use so they could emulate/study 600 yard velocity impacts on their 200 yard range. That is how the very versatile powder came into existence. Lights easily and burns efficiently at lower pressure.

5744 has been mentioned in this thread, I agree with dirty and also hard on sabots. 5744 seems to heat the barrel quicker that other powders in smokeless guns.

It is my understanding that ACC 5744 is Lovex DO 060, when 5744 was first sold in Europe the containers carried both Names. This leads me to, Shooters World Powders, and to point to "Buffalo Rifle" Shooters World Powders are renamed Lovex. "Buffalo Rifle " is Lovex DO 060 and I have found it to be a less expensive version of 5744. If you can find it in stock it will give you options.

Ken
Central, NY

I was just in a LGS and they have 2 8# bottles of 5744 at $225 each. If i had to shoot sml that would be the only local option right now as far as i can tell.

Metal can 4759 is quite a bit hotter. Its closer to N110. If you look at the load data TGinPA (RIP) compiled he made note of stating the metal vs plastic in his traces.

mm treat that 4759 like gold as there isn't much left out there. Like a unicorn in comparison to other powders.

Great powder for the 50cals and very interesting for reduced 45cal sabot loads too. You can get over 2300fps in a 45 with it shooting sabots. Probably close to 2500fps in some rifles. Sure you can do that with 4198 but it takes WAY more powder to do it.

I load with AA5744 and find it's as good if not better than SR4759, and happy it's still available.

Velocity with 5744 is pretty poor and it makes more peak than 4759. Its main benefit is its a good powder for using dippers and ignites really easy. You can achieve the same speed using much less N110 and still get great dependability too.

AA5744 is definitely on the "slow" side and it runs "dirty" too, with unfired granules in the tube. What junk. I hope no one bothers buying it so I can always have all I need. There's a reason why AA5744 was created, and is used in BPCR guns, and is a well proven match winner.

That is wonderful. Glad you like it but how is it better than SR4759 for a SML other than being available? N110 will do anything 5744 can do and it will hit 250gr@2300fps without a problem.

There's the difference - application and speed required. For me and BPCR rifles of the .40-65, .45-70, and .45-90 persuasions, with 418 to 542 grain patched slicks and lubed bullets, and speeds of 1150 to 1350 fps, along with distances of 200 to 1000 yards, AA5744 rules the roost and has worked better for me (and some others folks, too) than SR4759. This is not a contest of applied components or the "best" cartridge build", that would be silly. Again, YMMV, there are no absolutes, lotsa subjectiveness abounds, and whatever works best for ya ("consistent accuracy") rules the roost. :lewis:

Now, to be fair, my dayze of smokeless in BPCR guns is long over and BP PPBs are all I load, making a .45-70 into a virtual .45-90. However, I still use AA5744 under PC'd 1:20 alloy in my "lazy man's" .45-70 and it has no problem dinging plates @ 300 yards. :cool:

20210717_180338.jpg

Yes and this is the SML section and the reason some powders work better then others. I would not even begin to suggest something like this in the "Modern Rifle" section simply because i dont reload much anymore. I am however very familiar with SMLs as i still own 2 and sold my MLII for a nice profit.

The OP has/had a NULA like mine and 4759 is/was a very popular powder for that rifle.

Latest posts

Back