In appreciation of the TC Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's day 2 ofour muzzleloader antlerless and bear season here in Pennsylvania. I have to say that my Hawken " Autumn", so named for the colors in her laminated stock, is proving to be a very agreeable companion.
Although she is heavier than my Firehawk, she's not at all tiresome.
There are some who are bothered by this rifle being called a Hawken. While it may be argued that TC's rifle isn't an (exact)replica, I've heard some say its more of a New England style half stock hunting rifle. Whatever. It's a very fine rifle regardless of what its called.
The Lyman Plains and Browning Mountain rifles are much closer to the Hawken, but are also heavier and not nearly as well balanced. I've had both and after a day on foot, they wore me out. My 8 pound TC is much easier on my 57 year old bod.
TC had to call the rifle something. It was good marketing to call it a Hawken back in the '70s/ Jeremiah Johnson era. I doubt the scale of resurgent interest in muzzleloading would've happened if it weren't for the TC Hawken.
For those who want a 12 to 14 pound rifle originally designed for men on horse( most of the time) there are rifles out there for you.
But for those of us in the Pumpkin Infantry, TC's Hawken is a delight.
While my Firehawk is my all time favorite rifle, my TC Hawken is my favorite side lock. Just perfect for days when I want something a little... different?
Now if a fine fat doe, or rolly polly bear would oblige me by walking into range...

Barely finished typing when a button buck ( found this out after I got to him) gave me a 75 yard shot. BOOMflop. The 45 caliber 250 XTP did its thing... I spined him a bit back <): and he needed a 2nd shot. After I gave him the coup de grace, I looked up and there was another one staring at me! I swabbed and started to reload as it slowly walked off. It was most likely this one's brother.
So. My laminated Hawken is blooded her first season! The LORD has been very gracious to me.

The LORD is generous too! Got the big one an hour to the minute after the happy meal. 100 yard front quartering shot. She ran 50 yards into a tree and that was that.
This Hawken and the Hornady 45 caliber 250 grain XTP are a match made in Heaven.
70 grains of Swiss 3f Holy Black.
GOOD load.

Attachments

• 20201019_111749.jpg
    20201019_111749.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 39
The doe produce a very nice keepsake. This is the first 250 grain 45 caliber XTP I've recovered.
.704 at its widest and 238 grains remaining. Happy happy happy...

Attachments

• 20201021_121433.jpg
    20201021_121433.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201021_121450.jpg
    20201021_121450.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201021_121459.jpg
    20201021_121459.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 4
Congrats on your deer I start on Thursday here in Md
Our deer season’s are 4 days from being over with.
There are some limited entry antlerless hunts, and some extended archery hunts, but our general season units are all but done.
Our ML season used to be in November, that was prime time for big bucks. They have since moved it to the last Wednesday of September and it runs 9 days. I hate it!
I wish it was still in November. The meat sometimes tasted like crap, but you had a great chance at a BIG rutting muley!

I've always liked when I can recover one too, it's neat to see how well it mushroomed and retained it's weight. I've only ever found CF rifle rounds. A couple different Remmington Core-loks and two Fusion bullets. The Core-loks were both 7mm (one a Mauser and one 7mm/08) and mushroomed well, with around 80% retained weight. The "old school" mushrooming type bullet, just a lead core in a copper jacket, is far and away my preferred.
The Fusion's were both .257 cals (25/06), they were both peeled open like they are supposed to do. One had about 83% weight retention, it only hit ribs, but the other went through a front shoulder and was around 62% weight retention. Two of the petals had broke off, actually found them when cutting up the deer, both were in the entry side front shoulder. They do more damage than I care for, but they sure make a heck of a wound channel. They are based off a Gold Dot and you can sure tell by how they open up. Tons of "shot blood. Most don't know that Fusion's were actually designed by a CCI/Speer Engineer, they are made at Speer but then are shipped to Federal and loaded up there.
Sorry to get sidetracked. I haven't recovered a RB or conical as of yet.

Latest posts

Back