In need of Gonic sizing tool

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemihur

Reaction score
ISO Gonic sizing tool that sizes standard 50 caliber bullets down to .500"
Yes, I can buy bullets from Precision Bullets but I'd like to shoot some of the hundreds that I presently own.
Also interested in a LEE MOULD C501-440 RF DBL CAVITY Item #: LEE90991 which drops .501" bullets
Thanks,
Jimmy in VA

Tennessee bullet molds can make any size sizing die you need. Cost is in the $30 range. I've got several. I have one in .499 that I may be talked out of.

Harleyboss,
Thank you for your tip of Tennessee bullet molds as a source.
I'm trying to stay within manufacturers specs of .500" and am considering buying the RCBS sizing die and running them thru that.
I've heard that Fred Rodney of Gonic Arms had provided a hand held sizer with some of the original purchases of his rifles.
I don't know if .001" would make or break the rifles accuracy. Thank you, sir and I will definitely keep you in mind if I go that route.
Thanks,
Jimmy

$35 with the push rod is about the same price as the Lee Lube Sizer (custom order) About $3 cheaper.

Do you have the correct RCBS Lube-A-Matic stuff for that die?....The ones we are posting fit a standard press. Even a cheap Lee hand press. Its all i use for easy resizing.

I intend to utilize it in a Lyman Lubrisizor and just knock out a batch of cast 50's and use them only in the Gonic.
I presently have a .50 cal. R.E.A.L. 320 gr mold but they don't fit in that tight bore Gonic.
I've been using 270 gr. Powerbelts in my Traditions Pursuit and a rash of 45 cal. bullets w/sabots in other rifles.
Just trying to get a handle on a feasible projectile for the 'stepchild' rifle in the black powder cabinet.
Gonic's .45 caliber barrels never suffered from the under-bore syndrome as I have two GA-90 barrels for the contender that will accept 45-70 bullets measuring .458".
Thanks for asking
Jimmy

This is the sizer that Gonic made to size the conical down to .500. Mine is not for sale but I thought It may help you in your search. It took me a while to find one a few years back.

ISO Gonic sizing tool that sizes standard 50 caliber bullets down to .500"
Yes, I can buy bullets from Precision Bullets but I'd like to shoot some of the hundreds that I presently own.
Also interested in a LEE MOULD C501-440 RF DBL CAVITY Item #: LEE90991 which drops .501" bullets
Thanks,
Jimmy in VA
I got my .500 sizer off E-Bay. I don't remember where I got the c-501-440-RF mold. It was around 20 bucks. It's a double cavity!
NW

fliowa, Thank you so much for posting the photo.
I've never seen that original Gonic sizing tool before.
I will maintain my search and try sizing through other devices to see if I can improve loading techniques for my GA-93.
You have although provided me with a valuable reference in my search.

Is there something special about the bore size of a Gonic? If the size is .500, it's a simple fix. Have the appropriate size die made. There are several options. In the mean time, No Excusses muzzy bullets sells .500 conicals for the Gonic tight bore. That may be an option.

The 'special' aspect of the Gonic bore is that they are tighter than most .50 cal bores.
Yes, No Excuses makes bullets that work well in the Gonic.
I am trying to utilize some of the 50 cal bullets in my inventory and haven't yet located a sizer to bring them down to .500".
I have a good inventory of Gonic sabots and have been using them with .45 cal pistol bullets.
Eventually I'd like to facilitate full bore projectiles.

I have hunted with the No Excuse 460 grain that come in the .500 diameter. They work well out of my Gonic with 80 grains of 777. I noticed the picture was kind of blurry after attaching it to post. If you want some better photos of the directions or sizer pm me your email address and I’ll send them to you.

That is not necessary but thank you. I'll probably get a Lee sizing die and squeeze through a batch of bullets that I'll relegate only for the Gonic.
The sabots that I received with the gun were made for Gonic and I'll make due with them until I can resize to .500".
Thank you for showing me yours, at least I know what I'm looking for now.

Thanks Harley,
Lemme know your address via PM and how much you want for it and I'll get payment on it's way to you.
Is this the kind of size that is used in the Lyman lubrisizor or the Gonic type that is operated freehand?
Thanks for your reply.
Jimmy

If you wanna sell one Harleyboss, Lemme know,
Thanks,
Jimmy

Last edited:
gemihur, I still have the .499 sizer die...however you would need to get the push rod to send the bullet through the die. I use a cheap lee press. I sold another die/rush rod with a barrel that I sold. I only have one rod remaining. I would suggest just contacting tennessee bullet molds and order a brand new one. Once we made a deal on mine and you still had to get the appropriate rod it seems like it would be a whole bunch of extra steps.

Harleyboss,
I thank you for your honest opinion an I suppose I'll hold off and keep lookin' for another means of sizing the lead I've got.
Thanks again,
Jimmy

Latest posts

Back