In the Rock Pit with the Nitride

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Yesterday was another abnormal day here on the Palouse and I had the time so..... I grabbed the gear and headed to the Rock Pit.

Normally this time of year there would be no opportunity to get to the pit it would be snowed under several inches/feet of snow this year not so much....

Rock-Pit.jpg

This is crazy - that is all the snow there is! but then again it was much better than muddy farm fields.

I had pretty much sighted the rifle in the other day so this was nothing more than burning some more powder and a pleasure trip just getting out of the house.

Anyway - I got set up in the pit and walked 7 birds down to the end of the Rock Pit and placed them on the rock ledge. I know in my mind... that shooting a ML to 100 yards is really no big deal anymore. Almost any ML you get these days - 100 yards is not much of a challenge. But dang it sure is lot of fun to take aim on the 4 1/4" disc and have them disappear after you pull the trigger. You really get to know you hit something.

Birds-on-the-Wall.jpg

I was shooting this new Knight Nitride ML, and I know that it really is not that much different than my SS model - but for some reason I really think it shoot better! I know it is all in my feeble mind - but one of my coaches in the old days told me "if you believe" you can make it happen! Right now I believe!

I was shooting 120 gr. BH209 by vol. with a HPH-24 black sabot and the new Lehigh .451.x230 CF bullet. It really is not that new - I think it came out early fall last year. But that bullet is another thing that I am really sold on. Gosh! it is a great medicine for deer.

After shooting the hand placed birds, I then turned the rifle on 'targets of opportunity'! There were several spots that chips of previous birds were resting on a rock. These require a little more attention to shoot. I sight a rifle in with a 3" PBR and at 100 yards that works out to about 3" high. So I do have to hold slightly low on a chip to hit it. If you look to the left and down a little bit from the left bird in the setup, you will see one of a small group of chips that become 'targets of opportunity'.

Here is a collection of pictures of the shoot.

19-1-11-Nitride-Shoot.jpg

Todays project is.. clean the rifle - which really shouldn't be much of a problem. But! - I have never cleaned a Nitrited bore before - and in my mind it should easier and quicker. The breech is clean - looks new so it really is the bore I am focused on.

Last edited:
Sabotloader, how did the cleaning go with the nitride? Easier, harder, or about the same as stainless?

Sabotloader, how did the cleaning go with the nitride? Easier, harder, or about the same as stainless?

To be totally honest... I did take a few more patches to clean than I would have normally used. Part of that was I wanted to try some Ballistol that I just got. It sounded and seemed like a product I wanted to try. It did not get the carbon out of the bore as well or as easy, what ever might be the right term, as my normal product Birchwood-Casey 2-in-1 Bore Scrubber. So I ended up using 2 patches of Barnes CR-10 to cut and clear the Ballistol, then the 2-in-1 Bore Scrubber. So I did use a few more patches. Next cleaning should tell me much more. But I really think it is going to be about the same... and it is really easy for me with the SS.

I know Western and a lot of shooter say not to use a water product BH, but since BH still has Potassium and Sulphur in the mix I do still use regular Windex to neutralized those corroders. So this is my normal cleaning regiment

Bore-Cleaning.jpg

Thank you. I have a can of balistol on my workbench too, it should last for years as I never use it.

Herschel, I had the rifle out again this morning at the farm shooting. I can now tell you using my normal bore clean up routine - the rifle bore cleaned up just like a a gem. So now I guess I can not say that the SS cleaned any easier

Herschel, I had the rifle out again this morning at the farm shooting. I can now tell you using my normal bore clean up routine - the rifle bore cleaned up just like a a gem. So now I guess I can not say that the SS cleaned any easier
Thanks,I was wandering how the cleaning was today.

Who is the best retailer to purchase from? I don’t think I want to wait for the next Knight Veterans Day sale.

Latest posts

Back