Indoor casting and potential of lead poisoning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dangit Lewis, you are a Master Caster! :thumb::thumb::lewis::lewis:

I could NEVER make slicks like yers using a bottom pour!!

It took me some time, and dedication to get like i am with it, Now it’s EASY for me. Like anything else, it’s what you get use to. I look back & think to myself “why didn’t you do it like this from the beginning?” Well, I didn’t know any better in the beginning :) I had to learn, and i had to do so on my own since the VAST Majority of SERIOUS Big Bullet Casters use Ladles

The 2 Biggest keys to Success is Temperature, and Fill Rate, As you know these BIG 500 PLUS Grain Bullets have to be filled QUICKLY to get perfect Fillout. I had to open the Spout of the Bottom pour Pots to 3/32 (I run 3 of them, Different Lead/Alloys) Then adjust Flow with the Stem (3/32 Wide open, Lead will actually Splash back up out of the Mold, it’s TO MUCH) With the Stem adjusted properly, I can fill a 600 PLUS Grain Mold in 1 Second Flat

In a way, we're sorta kinda doing the same thing - "compression casting" slicks and bullets. Temperature, alloy blend, a good IRON mould that holds an even heat, and casting cadence. A FULL ladle, at 90* with snout into the mould, and a quick flip does the "compression" and I dump the entire contents of the ladle into and onto the mould for even heat and a good fill out.

I leave the last cast in the mould, allow to fully cool, then wrap the mould tightly with Press 'n' Seal food wrap. This eliminates having to clean and lube the mould for the next casting session - unwrap, heat up on furnace, ready to cast.

I remember hearing of men who worked with lead for a living would drink drink a quart of milk for lunch and more for supper, and wash several times a day. I started making lures/weights many years ago and continue to but I focus on what I am doing, have a clean workspace and stay away from the fumes.

In a way, we're sorta kinda doing the same thing - "compression casting" slicks and bullets. Temperature, alloy blend, a good IRON mould that holds an even heat, and casting cadence. A FULL ladle, at 90* with snout into the mould, and a quick flip does the "compression" and I dump the entire contents of the ladle into and onto the mould for even heat and a good fill out.

I leave the last cast in the mould, allow to fully cool, then wrap the mould tightly with Press 'n' Seal food wrap. This eliminates having to clean and lube the mould for the next casting session - unwrap, heat up on furnace, ready to cast.

Fully Agree :lewis: Just 2 different ways of doing the same thing.

I have always said a guy is probably better off to Begin Casting with a Ladle. I need to make myself sit down and Learn them Better myself, Simply for the added Skill. I have 2 Really Good Ladles

I have layed out EVERYTHING i do here on this Forum with a Bottom Pour Pot, How to get the same results that i do. What took me a few years, and a lot of Patience/Dedication to learn, I have DRASTICALLY Short Cutted it for others. MANY have become very good at it themselves through my Help, I get EVERY BIT as much enjoyment seeing others succeed as i do myself :lewis:

I was talking with our Current, and 3 Time World Champion (Dave Gullo) in His Business (BACO) about Bullet Casting, Dave said “You are one of the Few that i know that can Cast a SUPER HIGH quality Bullet with a Bottom Pour Pot” :)

Like i said above, I made Casting BIG HEAVY Bullets with a Bottom Pour Pot a “Pet Project“ i can say with confidence that i PERFECTED it :lewis: Even My LARGEST 600 PLUS Grain Bullets weigh within a 1/2 Grain of eachother, They are “Mirrors of the Mold”
But that third group I noticed some dust spots (you missed a spot} :lewis:

Latest posts

Back