Indoor casting and potential of lead poisoning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before COVID I was shooting a lot 200+ rounds a week and casting bullets and loading ammo. Had yearly dr visit with blood work blood lead level was 10. Dr said 5 and under was acceptable but 0 was the goal. Causes of lead
1- spent primers
2-casting lead
3- handling fired brass
4- shooting indoor range
For the next 8 months I wore latex gloves when loading and handling Bullets. Wore dust mask when casting Bullets out doors and lead dropped to 5. Several of the guys had blood tested and none of them were below 10 and 3 were 25. Bottom line for me is you can’t be to careful
[/QUOTE"......................

There is something called chelation. It is foods or chemicals that bind with the lead and remove it from your body. Garlic, onions, and celantro (also called coriander or chinese parsley) help bind lead and remove it from your body. I eat a lot of both. Brazil nuts restore the zinc and selenium (good for you) that is removed from chelation. I know a woman who worked as an accountant for the company that makes Nambe Ware. The fumes coming up from below (not lead) caused a permanent disability. I cast outside now. When I was young, I did it on the kitchen stove. I don't do that today. Of course, we get 60 degree days in February here. If I lived up north, I'd install a vent hood.

I read somewhere that the worst lead contamination in the handloading hobby is the dust from used case tumbling media.

I read somewhere that the worst lead contamination in the handloading hobby is the dust from used case tumbling media.
you are correct that is why I switched to wet tumbler and my new to me muzzleloader (no brass cases to mess with)

8 to 10 years ago I was smelting quite a few buckets of wheel weights. I met someone on another forum who would trade me for pure lead. Those wheel weights were dusty, dirty, nasty things. I never got tested but I would guess I had high levels then. I got plenty of pure, soft lead for my lifetime needs now.
Did it all in my woodshop, guess it didn't kill me.

Last edited:
Before COVID I was shooting a lot 200+ rounds a week and casting bullets and loading ammo. Had yearly dr visit with blood work blood lead level was 10. Dr said 5 and under was acceptable but 0 was the goal. Causes of lead
1- spent primers
2-casting lead
3- handling fired brass
4- shooting indoor range
For the next 8 months I wore latex gloves when loading and handling Bullets. Wore dust mask when casting Bullets out doors and lead dropped to 5. Several of the guys had blood tested and none of them were below 10 and 3 were 25. Bottom line for me is you can’t be to careful
This! Is exactly what I was referring to. Thanks for the validation. And agree, can never be too cautious. I will have PCP apt in Nov and will be certain to have it checked

I also cast in my basement, but only finish casting with clean lead in a pot. No fluxing. Nothing dirty.

This is one of the Beauties of a Bottom pour Pot like i use, and Swear By. I don’t want to Remove the Crust, Top Layer, I leave it well enough alone as it Protects the Molten Lead underneath it. When you Skim it off and Remove it, What happens? It comes right back (Oxidation) You are wasting your Lead.

The key is to get the Lead in your Pot Clean to begin with (Fluxing) Then stirring, Creating a Good Whirlpool action, This helps bring “Trapped” impurities to the Top. After a Good Flux, Several Whirlpool Stirs, and a few Skimmings, Allow the Crust layer to Form on Top, Now leave it well enough alone. When you ad an Ingot, Sprues, Cull Bullets, DON’T Drop them in!!! What happens when you do? They go STRAIGHT to the Bottom, Now any impurities in them CAN Stay/suspend at the Bottom. Contrary to popular belief NOT all impurities in Lead/Alloy will Pop up to the Top when it melts. By Dropping an Ingot in, You just Dirtied your Lead/Alloy. This is why i advise melting Ingots, Sprues, and Cull Bullets in from from the Top with a Dedicated Slotted Spoon, Simply load the Spoon and Hold at the Top on the Crust Layer, The Heavy Lead will melt Through, And Any impurities will Stay at the Top

Luckily I bought the Lee 4-20 pot before there was a shortage on everything. Whole lot of price gouging going on at the present time .

I built a casting station in a corner of my basement shop, for making muzzy balls 'n' PPB slicks.

That Ladle Casting is for the Birds 😃

It’s all in what you get use to, I started with a Bottom Pour Pot, I had plenty of problems to begin with, But i was diligent, I made Modifications to suit me, in the End i was able to perfect Bottom Pour Casting, From light Roundball, to BIG HEAVY 650 Grain Bullets. I tried Ladles, i have 2 of them, a Rowel Bottom pour, and a Lyman, With patience & Practice I was able to get Good Bullets, But I couldn’t consistently get the same Awesome Results that i do with a Bottom Pour Pot, My Ladles were Put away for a “Rainy Day” It just hasn’t rained in Several Years, i see nothing but a BRIGHT Sunny Future :)

You will find that almost all BPCR casters use the ladle. It's just more precise in creating heavy slicks well over 500 grains that are +/- less than 1/4 to 1/2 grain variance, are far less hassle than the best bottom pour, and allows for "compression casting". I have 4 pots, an 8lb for pure lead muzzy balls, and the rest are 20lb for alloys of 1:16 for PPBs, 1:20 & 1:30 for greasers. To each their own, it's all good if it works best. :thumb:

You will find that almost all BPCR casters use the ladle. It's just more precise in creating heavy slicks well over 500 grains that are +/- less than 1/4 to 1/2 grain variance, are far less hassle than the best bottom pour, and allows for "compression casting". I have 4 pots, an 8lb for pure lead muzzy balls, and the rest are 20lb for alloys of 1:16 for PPBs, 1:20 & 1:30 for greasers. To each their own, it's all good if it works best. :thumb:

Rob you are correct that most BPCR casters use Ladles, That said I would put my Casting/Bullets up against ANYBODY Out there :) My Bullets take a Backseat to NOBODY, That’s not Bragging, It’s a FACT

Here are just a few examples of what i cast, ALL with my Bottom Pour Pots
XzbJRYL.jpg

7HJyzuA.jpg

qDY8X6i.jpg

”Money” Bullet
EhwTubH.jpg

650 Grain .54 Cal Slicks
olF8ubX.jpg

610 Grain .50 Cal
LfQUT03.jpg

r3SkAdP.jpg
X6A3miy.jpg

qxe59iw.jpg

erwVcGh.jpg

HkYityw.jpg

h9aJCqa.jpg

Ncvx0ah.jpg

hLZpljV.jpg

I was talking with our Current, and 3 Time World Champion (Dave Gullo) in His Business (BACO) about Bullet Casting, Dave said “You are one of the Few that i know that can Cast a SUPER HIGH quality Bullet with a Bottom Pour Pot” :)

Like i said above, I made Casting BIG HEAVY Bullets with a Bottom Pour Pot a “Pet Project“ i can say with confidence that i PERFECTED it :lewis: Even My LARGEST 600 PLUS Grain Bullets weigh within a 1/2 Grain of eachother, They are “Mirrors of the Mold”

Dangit Lewis, you are a Master Caster! :thumb::thumb::lewis::lewis:

I could NEVER make slicks like yers using a bottom pour!!

Latest posts

Back