Inherited muzzleloaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy T

Reaction score
My dad passed away and left me a couple of muzzleloaders. I rifle hunted with him for years but never got into muzzleloading and don’t know anything about it but am starting to educate myself. One is a R32200 Traditions whitetale Carbine new in the box. The other one he used but I didn’t find any info on it that made sense to me. I have attached a picture. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• P1480239.jpg
    P1480239.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 79
My dad passed away and left me a couple of muzzleloaders. I rifle hunted with him for years but never got into muzzleloading and don’t know anything about it but am starting to educate myself. One is a R32200 Traditions whitetale Carbine new in the box. The other one he used but I didn’t find any info on it that made sense to me. I have attached a picture. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Can you post bigger/ more pics ?? Sorry about your dad too......

That barrel is a Green Mountain Long Range Hunter barrel. 50cal 1-28 twist. Very nice barrel. Good for conicals or sabots. Not so good for patched round balls.

Probably on a Thompson Center Hawkens rifle. GMB made what they called IBS barrels for T/Cs. It stood for Interchangeable Barrel System or something to that effect.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/green-mountain-creates-firearms-to-suit-your-needs/
For factory muzzleloader shooters, we manufacture a line of drop-in replacement barrels we call the Interchangeable Barrel System (IBS). These barrels come complete with sights, breech plug, ramrod, and guides. Designed to fit Thompson Center Hawken and Renegade rifles, they are available in round ball or sabot configurations. Choose from a 21” LRH carbine for sabot to a round ball barrel up to 38”. Flint ignition is available in .50 caliber for both rifles. A unique approach to long-range predator shooting can be had with the Sharpshooter barrel. The Sharpshooter is a 50 caliber; cut rifled muzzleloader barrel with a fast 1:24 twist rate, 32” long and comes complete with an 1860’s period correct long-tube 6-power Malcom-style telescopic sight from Leatherwood Optics. It is designed to shoot heavy conical bullets in the 500-grain weight range to 200 yards. Green Mountain interchangeable muzzleloader barrels have set the standard for performance and accuracy for more than a generation

That’s definitely a TC Hawken with Green Mountain Long Range Hunter Barrel, That is one of the Most Accurate Muzzleloader Barrels Made :lewis: I have NUMEROUS of those. Yours even has the Hard to Find TC Tang Peep Sight. Yours is probably a 15/16” Barrel? It might be a 1”? The .54 TC Hawken was 1” the .45 and .50 Hawken were 15/16”

They are VERY Capable!! I have a YouTube Channel full of Shooting them, all the way out to 600 Yards

Here are just a Few Targets, I can make these EVERY Day with My Green Mountain LRH .50 Cal as long as i do my Part of course. Both of these Targets are on Video
vcwMz9m.jpg

3 Shot Group
IzzPK4K.jpg

Wow.!!!. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the help.

They FLAT OUT Shoot!! That Barrel you have there is a GEM :lewis: I have YET to see one Not Shoot? They are my “BREAD N BUTTER” Barrels, in TC Stocks, JUST LIKE What you have :lewis:

When my old man passed he left me a rem700 30.06. but my sis has it in her possession and says "come and try to get it!". I can wait. Yours both sound like keepers. I sure miss hunting with my old man.
Several years ago i said a prayer while i headed out to hunt . It was the 1st time id been Able to use my dads old shotgun . I asked Jesus if he'd accompany me and while he was at it maybe he could bring my dad along too . And time i got youre ear Lord can i be successful and get a buck . Please keep us all safe and thanks in advance Amen .
That day i was shown a movie in my minds eye of a buck comeing around the corner of that swamp . I said Thanks Lord that one would be just Dandy !! The next day , just as i was shown , that same buck came around the corner and i got him !!! Its the Best " Loved " trophy i got --a 3pt , i think to represent All 3 of us there . Jesus said Nothing is impossible for those who Believe........
Im no super saint by far , but Jesus is AWESOME !!!
Just figured id share -- my heart to yours.......

Last edited:
If you need any help, Just Shout! I will Gladly answer any Questions you might have? I can walk you through anything with these Things :lewis:
Tommy while we will all help from time to time you couldnt be in better hands than IdahoLewis . To have his guidence truly is a "gift from On High" . He wont steer you wrong . I believe i can feel your dads smile on this . Be blessed on this journey friend , His hands are upon you . Now and Always.......
......in Jesus Name , Amen ,
.......Sideshow
.... Let those whom have ears hear.....

Last edited:
Tommy while we will all help from time to time you couldnt be in better hands than IdahoLewis . To have his guidence truly is a "gift from On High" . He wont steer you wrong . I believe i can feel your dads smile on this . Be blessed on this journey friend , His hands are upon you . Now and Always.......
......in Jesus Name , Amen ,
.......Sideshow
.... Let those whom have ears hear.....

Thank you for the Kind words Sideshow :lewis:

Thank you for the Kind words Sideshow :lewis:
Lewis i dont know how to say this other than to say it , im but a vessel . A simple clay pot in HIS hands , however unlikely it seems especially to me . Im nothing without HIM . i deliver what is asked of me , nothing more nothing less . No this doesnt happen all the time(messages) . ONLY as directed . Please dont thank me ,thank HE who sent me for those words . Im no super saint Lewis . I just try to do as HE asks of me .

To Jesus be the Truth , the Honor and the Glory both Now and Forevermore !!!!!!!
Amen ??? Amen !!!

That is one of the older TC Hawkens too. Has the "high spur" hammer. You've got a good one.
Your next step is to ask Idaholewis what conical will be a good start in that faster twist barrel.

Sorry for your loss. I can only imagine...
Being one to put the mental in sentiMENTAL, I can appreciate what this rifle will come to mean to you as time goes on.
I hope to pass my rifles on to either my girls, or grandchildren. My girls are both FINE shots. Especially Baby Girl, who is Death her bad self behind her Traditions Tracker...
Anyway. If I could suggest you begin a notebook for that rifle. Jot down things such as its history, as much as you may know of it, your experiences with it, what loads you tried and how many rounds you fired etc.
Someday in the future when some youngin' points to old Pappy's rifle and asks about it, that notebook will be quite the HOOT!

What bullet are you using, what does it weigh and what is the lube you are using??

Latest posts

Back