INline HangFires with T/C Encore Barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldog

Reaction score
Took out my remounted Encore ML barrel. Decided to try Hornady Bore driver with 110 GR Blackhorn 209. I fired a few caps and some loose powder through prior to loading. I did get to fire, but was getting some blast on firing near breech plug, then about a 1/2 to 1 second delay prior to going off. Breech plug hole seems really small, but a few sparks exit barrel on firing just. So i gave up sight in. Any thoughts???

If you go to the Blackhorn 209 website, you'll find that those primers are NOT recommended for use with their product.
CCI 209m, Winchester or Federal 209a are the most recommended primers.

If you go to the Blackhorn 209 website, you'll find that those primers are NOT recommended for use with their product.
CCI 209m, Winchester or Federal 209a are the most recommended primers.
Well those are th ones I had, but I'll look to see if I can find some others. Thanks for the tip.

I have never had any ignition issue with my Encore and I have never used Remington primers.

Well I took out my T/C Encore 50 x 209 to try again. It worked fine with Federal 209s . For about 5 shots. Then I cleaned the flash cnhannel again with Drill bit and Gun Scrubber spray. Worked fine another shot or two. then would work after clean and next shot would fail. I guess I'll have to try the CCI 209m. The 50 cal Hornady Boredriver bullets work great. Easiest to load of any tried.

That's the problem. Muzzleloading primers won't work good with Blackhorn.
Im sorry, they were NOT MUZZLELOADING primers. Just stock Federal 209 primers. Maybe 3 years old and stored in Ziplock bag in basement.

BH209 requires a firm, solid fit with the sabot/bullet on top of the powder. In you post, #11, you said that they were easy to load. Too easy and sometimes you will get hangfires.

BH209 requires a firm, solid fit with the sabot/bullet on top of the powder. In you post, #11, you said that they were easy to load. Too easy and sometimes you will get hangfires.
MAybe. But twice, I pulled breech plug, leaving powder and bullet in place(tilted barrel down). I clean plug with drill bit and gun scrubber , let dry and replaced with new primer. BOOM and right on target (using scope). An extra primer without clean did nothing. So seems more primer flame than anything else.

Me supspects primer fit is loose.

Latest posts

Back