INline HangFires with T/C Encore Barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What size drill bit? Sounds like a clogged up breech plug. My BIL pro hunter did the same thing before he learned that the breech plug flash channel crud needed removed.

BH209 requires a firm, solid fit with the sabot/bullet on top of the powder. In you post, #11, you said that they were easy to load. Too easy and sometimes you will get hangfires.
I agree The OP said easiest to load that would have me concerned.

Well I took out my T/C Encore 50 x 209 to try again. It worked fine with Federal 209s . For about 5 shots. Then I cleaned the flash cnhannel again with Drill bit and Gun Scrubber spray. Worked fine another shot or two. then would work after clean and next shot would fail. I guess I'll have to try the CCI 209m. The 50 cal Hornady Boredriver bullets work great. Easiest to load of any tried.
Just asking but....... why are you using gun scrubber spray while shooting??? You may very well be contaminating the system.

I can safely say, there are few, very few shooters who have shot more rounds than myself from an Encore 209x50. Cleaning the flash channel with a 1/8" drill bit BY HAND, is necessary but, not for every 5th or so shots. I've fired up to 50 rounds without cleaning either the flash channel or barrel using BH in Encore rifles.

CCI209M or Federal 209A primers, magnum primers, have always been recommended for BH209. That is not to say that another primer won't work such as a WIN209 but, consistent ignition is achieved with magnum primers. You also need a fairly tight fitting bullet, sabot/bullet combination.... in general.
Depending on how many rounds have been fired through your specific breech plug, you may want to consider a replacement.

If this "remounted" barrel has the old flat faced style breech plug; is this the issue?

IMG_5596.JPG

IMG_5595.JPG

MAybe. But twice, I pulled breech plug, leaving powder and bullet in place(tilted barrel down). I clean plug with drill bit and gun scrubber , let dry and replaced with new primer. BOOM and right on target (using scope). An extra primer without clean did nothing. So seems more primer flame than anything else.
What condition is your breech plug I have a prohunteer and had to replace my breech plug it was eroded where primer seated and flash channel had became eroded I use Winchester 209 shotgun primers like everyone says muzzleloader primer and BH doesn't work I just use drill bit and torch tip cleaners for breech plug after finished shooting no more problems and clean plug with solvent

I used 5/64s on channel and 1/16 (smallest I had, but too large for hole to scrape fouling from both sides of small hole

TC has a 1/8" flash channel, so use a 1/8" drill bit. Leave that flash hole ALONE. Unless you can visually see that a piece of carbon lodged in it, keep things out of it. It is not necessary to "clean the flash hole".

Yeah, some of these guys will tell you cleaning the flash hole is necessary.... SMH. When I was shooting the Encore platform, I was shooting 2,000 round each year and it continued when BH209 became available. NEVER not a single time did I clean the flash hole. Only chipped the carbon from the flash channel. Never, not once had a hang fire or misfire. That flash hole wears fast enough, let alone running torch tip cleaners or any other multitude of objects through it.

I used 5/64s on channel and 1/16 (smallest I had, but too large for hole to scrape fouling from both sides of small hole

You have got a lot of drilling to do. Work your way up slowly to 0.125" using at least 5 different drill sizes. You will think that you are drilling metal. Do this by hand using a pin vice or something similar.

If'n you ask me, from my observation, you are using the wrong breech plug for BH 209 powder.
Also, before you start drilling the flash channel, soak it in good old Hoppes #9 solvent to loosen up the primer residue. Then by hand only- run the 1/8"? drill bit in the flash channel to remove the residue, do NOT force the bit hard at the flash hole. Get it all clean and shiny, blow out with air, put it away, and buy a Breechplug made for Blackhorn 209.

Well I thought was an encore barrel. Even ordered parts for barrel from T/C and fit. But maybe a Bergarra barrel. This is what my Breech plug looks like and have not seen a picture of a similar T/C Plug. So dimensions maybe different.

Attachments

• BERGARRA pLUG.png
    BERGARRA pLUG.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 13
CVA stock B Plug
Notice H stamped on face, I don’t know if all have that
I know my Blackhorn BPs have BH on face

Attachments

• 0C999826-7787-4102-8342-539BCA762381.jpeg
    0C999826-7787-4102-8342-539BCA762381.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1
  • A74414CC-8032-4056-AFBE-0FDBF9AD8888.jpeg
    A74414CC-8032-4056-AFBE-0FDBF9AD8888.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 64148BBC-F2CC-4EBE-816D-4B32830279C4.jpeg
    64148BBC-F2CC-4EBE-816D-4B32830279C4.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1
CVA stock B Plug
Notice H stamped on face, I don’t know if all have that
I know my Blackhorn BPs have BH on face
Here are my Pictures. It looks very similar. But mine seems to show a faint H1004 where you have a H. <Mine does not show in picture but could see with lighted magnifying glass.

Attachments

• Plug3.jpg
    Plug3.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Plug2.jpg
    Plug2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Plug1.jpg
    Plug1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 4
Remington STS is a standard shotgun primer and would work better in the Remington line up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back