interesting article on Burris scopes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffB1961

Reaction score
i was searching for info on the Burris Droptine 4.5-14x42 (considering it for my Diana 34) and found this article on the history and manufacture of Burris scope . i thought some here might find it interesting . here's a little snippet ......

" ..... With the exception of the scope tubes, which are machine-bored from a single, solid piece of aluminum, everything manufactured by Burris and Steiner is assembled by hand, Hennig said. The average scope has 170 individual pieces and goes through about 400 steps before it is shipped to the customer. Each scope takes on average six hours to manufacture.

Although not every product is made in America, 100% of Burris products are tested and inspected in the 8th Street plant. ...."

https://www.greeleytribune.com/2019...orting-optics-in-greeley-for-almost-50-years/
BTW .... does anyone know if their forever warranty covers use on break barrel airguns ?
and where are the Droptine series are made or the parts for it ? Philippines ???
take care , jeff

Last edited:
just break barrels . it's the double recoil FWIU . fire arms just have reverse recoil . break barrel airguns have double recoil due to the motion of the piston . typical .177 and .22 break barrels aren't real bad but they can damage scopes . when you get into the "magnum" .25 and .30 cal break barrels they can kill scopes very quickly even multi thousand $$$ scopes . heavier pellets can help minimize it but them but those hatsans are known scope killers .

PCP airguns are fine with any scope .

with further searching i found the Burris i mentioned only focus down to 50 yards , way too far for my uses :( .

just break barrels . it's the double recoil FWIU . fire arms just have reverse recoil . break barrel airguns have double recoil due to the motion of the piston . typical .177 and .22 break barrels aren't real bad but they can damage scopes . when you get into the "magnum" .25 and .30 cal break barrels they can kill scopes very quickly even multi thousand $$$ scopes . heavier pellets can help minimize it but them but those hatsans are known scope killers .

PCP airguns are fine with any scope .

with further searching i found the Burris i mentioned only focus down to 50 yards , way too far for my uses :( .
Ive got a nice little 6x simmons on my pcp. I may switch to a 4x tho. Fixed power scopes are tough to break

thanks GM , but way more than i'd want to spend . seems i'm back to centerpoint or UTG . i can get something from them for $100ish that'll work fine for my purposes and the mild recoil of my 34 . i'd spend a littler more for a better brand , but not much more . i may just sell the 34 and make a back stop out of 4x4s for my .25 PCP , but it's almost boringly accurate at 40ish yards . zero recoil is a wonderful thing :)

MM you can use any scope on a PCP , even el cheapo scopes . it's just break barrels's with the double recoil that causes issues . what PCP do you have ?

I have been told it's not just break barrel air rifles but all spring piston rifles. There are side cocking and under cocking air rifles that are also hard on scopes. Pump up air rifles also require an air rifle scope. Like mentioned above PcP and even CO2 rifles do not have a spring piston and are ok for any scope.

thanks for the added info birdog . i'll add gas pistons and metal springs can break scopes in the same manner .
why would a pump up air rifle need a springer rated scope ?

I have been told it's not just break barrel air rifles but all spring piston rifles. There are side cocking and under cocking air rifles that are also hard on scopes. Pump up air rifles also require an air rifle scope. Like mentioned above PcP and even CO2 rifles do not have a spring piston and are ok for any scope.
As someone mentioned, its the reverse recoil from a powder burner that damages scopes shot in springer air guns. Scopes manufactured for powder burners anticipate recoil in reverse. the air gun recoils forward. RWS 56 round three.PNG
I have a Diana 56th. It's a side cocker, and the barrel moves to the rear when fired to take some of the "thwang" out of the shot.

thanks for the added info birdog . i'll add gas pistons and metal springs can break scopes in the same manner .
why would a pump up air rifle need a springer rated scope ?
I'm only going by what I have been told so I'm only guessing but perhaps some are spring piston? Maybe all are I'm not sure. I do know that the pump up air rifles I have had in the past were spring piston.

never herd of a pump up air rifle that also uses a spring piston . they are two different power sources AFAIK .
what air rifle did you have that used both power systems ??? there are springs in the poppit that releases air from the resivore on pcp , Co2 and pump air rifles ..... but they do not have anywhere near the moving mass of a piston to cause forward or reverse recoil . some of the more powerful big bore air guns do have reverse recoil because of the weight of the lead bullets but that's far less than recoil on typical CF rifles and isn't a issue with scopes designed for CF rifles .

Last edited:
i was searching for info on the Burris Droptine 4.5-14x42 (considering it for my Diana 34) and found this article on the history and manufacture of Burris scope . i thought some here might find it interesting . here's a little snippet ......

" ..... With the exception of the scope tubes, which are machine-bored from a single, solid piece of aluminum, everything manufactured by Burris and Steiner is assembled by hand, Hennig said. The average scope has 170 individual pieces and goes through about 400 steps before it is shipped to the customer. Each scope takes on average six hours to manufacture.

Although not every product is made in America, 100% of Burris products are tested and inspected in the 8th Street plant. ...."

https://www.greeleytribune.com/2019...orting-optics-in-greeley-for-almost-50-years/
BTW .... does anyone know if their forever warranty covers use on break barrel airguns ?
and where are the Droptine series are made or the parts for it ? Philippines ???
take care , jeff
My DROPTINE is one of the nicest scopes for the money I have ever bought, and I bought my first scope in the middle sixties. Mine is the 4.5x-14x with the G2B Mil-Dot reticle. I wish I had a half-dozen of'em. Made in the Phillipines.

I have always been a fan of Burris. Well, for the most part anyway. I'm not liking that they discontinued the FFII. That's unfortunate in my book.

I just dealt with Burris on a warranty issue on a Fullfield Four scope.
AWESOME FREAKING SERVICE.
This was a 3 to 12 with an E3 crosshair and I told them that I wanted to upgrade to a 6 to 24 E3. Within a week everything was done and the scope was in my hands and there was no up charge. Their no question warranty is a no question warranty

Greg

I have a few midlin Burris scopes, been fine. My highest quality Burris is a ‘Signature Select’ that goes up to 24 power. I bought it used with a slight defect. I never did send it in, the ‘defect’ seems minor & workable.

This scope sits on a custom 22-250, my most serious prairie dogging rifle.

I was in Greeley a few months ago. Not a lot of extra time, but if they offered a tour, I’d try to make time.

Back