Interesting Doc Comment

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vasmokepole

Reaction score
I almost traded my 91 to Doc but backed out of it. Doc did however mention he preferred the 209 conversion in the 91’s. Said some of the 91’s were soft stroked and the 209 conversion cured that.

I almost traded my 91 to Doc but backed out of it. Doc did however mention he preferred the 209 conversion in the 91’s. Said some of the 91’s were soft stroked and the 209 conversion cured that.
I agree with that

Said some of hammers didn’t hit hard enough for the #11. 209 doesn’t require as much umph to fire. Heck if Doc says I normally take notice. He recommended I switch over.

Last edited:
I converted mine to 209 and if I'm not mistaken I did replace the spring. Doc gave me it

I actually had my first fail to fire in the S91 .451 last Tuesday evening. Had a mid size doe in the scope. Gun went "click" WTH... She just looked at me. I checked the cap, was still there. Recocked the hammer and killed her. Neck shot DRT!
I was using a Remington Magnum#11 cap. The second strike blew up the cap when it fired. I'm replacing the caps with other Remington Magnum#11, will use them for squirrel hunting.
I also stretched the spring out a little. I would hope that solves it... The gun was only loaded four days. The caps were left over in the capper from last year.
I also have a longer spring if needed.

I actually had my first fail to fire in the S91 .451 last Tuesday evening. Had a mid size doe in the scope. Gun went "click" WTH... She just looked at me. I checked the cap, was still there. Recocked the hammer and killed her. Neck shot DRT!
I was using a Remington Magnum#11 cap. The second strike blew up the cap when it fired. I'm replacing the caps with other Remington Magnum#11, will use them for squirrel hunting.
I also stretched the spring out a little. I would hope that solves it... The gun was only loaded four days. The caps were left over in the capper from last year.
I also have a longer spring if needed.
If your hunting only just loosen the plug a half turn not gonna hurt but helps if your having ignition issues in the field

I need to re-scope my 91 if I’m going to use it. Scope is on the long side and impedes cocking the gun in a normal fashion. One of the reasons I prefer the G series is that cocking lever on the side.

First, Merry Christmas!
Here’s Doc’s email:

Good decision. I have found that the only weakness in a 91 is the short stroke hammer throw. It does better with a 209 conversion which does not require the hard hit that the #11 cap does. I hace converted all my 91 and 98 rifles it the 209. I suggest you get one. DOC

I have the 209 conversion that I got with a used rifle. I haven't had the need to try it. I haven't had a failure to fire.

I was having mis-fires on my M98 years back. Caps would not go off. I emailed Doc. He sold me a stronger spring.
Back when I got my M98 I never had misfires but the lock time was very slow for for an inline. It was slower than any side hammer rifle I owned. I replaced the spring with one from a Rem 700 ML. It was both longer and stiffer and the rifle went off like a center fire after that.

Back when I got my M98 I never had misfires but the lock time was very slow for for an inline. It was slower than any side hammer rifle I owned. I replaced the spring with one from a Rem 700 ML. It was both longer and stiffer and the rifle went off like a center fire after that.
The lock time with the newer spring he sold me is better than the old one and all my caps have fired since. However it is still a slower lock time than any of my other guns. (Including my sidelocks) I always took it as the nature of the beast with that style of plunger gun.

The lock time with the newer spring he sold me is better than the old one and all my caps have fired since. However it is still a slower lock time than any of my other guns. (Including my sidelocks) I always took it as the nature of the beast with that style of plunger gun.
Only the nature of the beast as it came from the factory. Just a poor sourcing of parts from the OEM level. The Rem 700 ML spring is 3/8" longer, wire diameter is .005" thicker, and the coil diameter is .050" greater than what came in the M98. It honestly changed the nature of the rifle. Interestingly enough the reason I had a spare Rem 700 ML spring laying around was that when I bought my first inline in '96, the Rem 700 ML, I was unhappy with it's lock time and striking force. It worked of course but I really expected faster. I installed a Wolff extra power 700 ML spring and that made the Rem 700 ML work like I thought it should. I'm probably one of the few who still uses real Black and #11 caps in the Rem. Oh, and my M97 Ultra Mag had a fast lock time as it came from Sportman's Warehouse.

Last edited:
Only the nature of the beast as it came from the factory. Just a poor sourcing of parts from the OEM level. The Rem 700 ML spring is 3/8" longer, wire diameter is .005" thicker, and the coil diameter is .050" greater than what came in the M98. It honestly changed the nature of the rifle. Interestingly enough the reason I had a spare Rem 700 ML spring laying around was that when I bought my first inline in '96, the Rem 700 ML, I was unhappy with it's lock time and striking force. It worked of course but I really expected faster. I installed a Wolfe extra power 700 ML spring and that made the Rem 700 ML work like I thought it should. I'm probably one of the few who still uses real Black and #11 caps in the Rem. Oh, and my M97 Ultra Mag had a fast lock time as it came from Sportman's Warehouse.
Thx, i just ordered a 700ml extra power spring for my s91, from wolff gunsprings.

Back