Interesting Doc Comment

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thx, i just ordered a 700ml extra power spring for my s91, from wolff gunsprings.
Just FYI, I installed the standard factory Rem 700ML spring in my White M98. The Wolff extra power Rem 700 ML spring is even bigger in diameter and longer than the standard Rem spring (which is bigger/longer than the White spring). The extra power Wolff barely fit in the Rem 700ML bolt.

Just FYI, I installed the standard factory Rem 700ML spring in my White M98. The Wolff extra power Rem 700 ML spring is even bigger in diameter and longer than the standard Rem spring (which is bigger/longer than the White spring). The extra power Wolff barely fit in the Rem 700ML bolt.
Ok. Ive got a 700 it can go in if it wont fit into the 91.

I never had a misfire on my M98, but my son did this year and it cost him a doe. It fired just fine on the second shot, so I don’t know if the cap wasn’t on all the way or weak spring??

Same here Ed! I couldn't believe it.. never had it happen before last Tues.
I even keep the springs out separate when the gun's are stored for that reason. The cap in my case was on tight. Live and learn...

We have to remember that none of these White Rifles are spring chickens anymore. Springs can weaken. I've had a couple of FTF's over the years but all were my fault. I have four new White springs in my parts hoard but I think I will continue to hoard them and buy a few Rem. springs.

I ordered some last night there probably gonna wonder why there's a run on those all of a sudden!!
Let us know how you like the new springs. I have a longer white spring that is already hard to cock the hammer. I can't imagine a tighter one.
I do have a Remington 700 short action spring, but it's way too long. Will keep it in case there is a problem with my 30-06 bolt.

Last edited:
Let us know how you like the new springs. I have a longer white spring that is already hard to cock the hammer. I can't imagine a tigher one.
I do have a Remington 700 short action spring, but it's way too long. Will keep it in case there is a problem with my 30-06 bolt.
Ok I have the heavier as well but like to try new things never know

New 700ML spring arrived yesterday . Removed quick detach scope and mount on my M98. Removed and took apart plunger, installed new spring. Plunger now a fair amount harder to pull back and turn into notch. Takes a wee bit more finger strength to hold on to end of plunger flare. Plunger strike definitely faster and harder.
Re-install scope and mount. Rut Row!!! Problem...... The way I have to position my hand and fingers with the scope now attached, I don't have enough finger/hand strength with the limited space to get a good grip and pull plunger all the way back and set in notch. If I had a way to get a better grip on the plunger end it would not be an issue. If anyone has an idea to remedy this, I am all ears.
For now, I will just re-install the spring I bought from Doc and keep this one as a spare. If I ever need to use it, I can always cut it down so it is not so strong. No biggie.

Last edited:
I have heard of guys attaching a lanyard to the plunger so one can use it to cock the hammer and use the secondary safety. I haven't tried it, but makes sense!
Only negative I can think of is dealing with the lanyard after the hammer is cocked. Might get in the way or loose it..

Someone here machined a "T" handle to replace the knob on the "W" series rifles. Can't remember who it was but it looked like a slick set up. That would make it a lot easier the cock the plunger, stiff spring or stock spring.

New 700ML spring arrived yesterday . Removed quick detach scope and mount on my M98. Removed and took apart plunger, installed new spring. Plunger now a fair amount harder to pull back and turn into notch. Takes a wee bit more finger strength to hold on to end of plunger flare. Plunger strike definitely faster and harder.
Re-install scope and mount. Rut Row!!! Problem...... The way I have to position my hand and fingers with the scope now attached, I don't have enough finger/hand strength with the limited space to get a good grip and pull plunger all the way back and set in notch. If I had a way to get a better grip on the plunger end it would not be an issue. If anyone has an idea to remedy this, I am all ears.
For now, I will just re-install the spring I bought from Doc and keep this one as a spare. If I ever need to use it, I can always cut it down so it is not so strong. No biggie.
You can add some preload to your supplied Doc spring with a few washers that fit over the threaded rod. The preload stiffened spring might be a better compromise. When I first got my M98 years ago that's the first thing I did with the weak OEM spring.

Someone here machined a "T" handle to replace the knob on the "W" series rifles. Can't remember who it was but it looked like a slick set up. That would make it a lot easier the cock the plunger, stiff spring or stock spring.
I like that idea as well. I wonder who it was and how easy it would be to do? Or if someone can fabricate some to sell.

Like a AR cocking handle... that would work! ( Don't tell the Fed's)

Latest posts

Back