Interesting Doc Comment

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone here machined a "T" handle to replace the knob on the "W" series rifles. Can't remember who it was but it looked like a slick set up. That would make it a lot easier the cock the plunger, stiff spring or stock spring.

Found it! The member was sdporter. There is a pic on a thread from back on 5/28/2020, about seven pages back. the thread title is "Plunger Assembly Retainer Pin Problem". I didn't want to post his pic without his permission.

Pretty cool charging handle. Neither of my Whites is scoped so it never occurred to me about problems with a stronger spring/letdown/scope interference.

Here is a pic of the 3 different springs I now have for my M98.
*Top spring is the original that came with gun.
*Middle spring is the one Doc sold me afterwards.
*Bottom spring is the 700 ML spring I ordered.
FE157FCE-4926-42B6-9387-4030886735B6.jpeg

Attachments

• 79BCBAC7-CF23-4524-8BEA-3E2DA46D668A.jpeg
    79BCBAC7-CF23-4524-8BEA-3E2DA46D668A.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 3
How is the one Doc sent ya? Wonder what it is and where he gets them?
The one Doc sent me seems to work ok. Not giving me misfires like the original spring did. Was hoping for a little faster lock time with the new 700ml spring which it did achieve. Because of problem getting it back with the scope on, I switched back to the spring Doc sent me.
Not sure where he gets them or what it is. Wonder if you could email him.

The one Doc sent me seems to work ok. Not giving me misfires like the original spring did. Was hoping for a little faster lock time with the new 700ml spring which it did achieve. Because of problem getting it back with the scope on, I switched back to the spring Doc sent me.
Not sure where he gets them or what it is. Wonder if you could email him.
I don’t think he would tell me as he would know that would be taking money out of his pocket.

Hatchet, what do you think about that? What did Doc charge you for it? I may ask him for some M97 springs while I’m at it.
I think it is quite possible that it could be a 700 ML spring cut down or any other spring for that matter. Looks like it’s been cut. One end does not look machine crimped.
Can’t remember what Doc charged exactly. It was somewheres tween $5-$10.

That spring has definitely been cut. What you need is the stock OEM Remington 700 mainspring not the Wolff extra power one. Try contacting Badger Ridge. He should have a bunch of stock strength springs left over from his conversions.

Here's a main spring preload spacer I made for a friend's T/C Firehawk which suffered from the slow lock time problem. The long end goes inside the spring and the short end give an extra 5/16" preload and gave much quicker lock times.

Attachments

• 20220117_081358 (1).jpg
    20220117_081358 (1).jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 5
Here's a main spring preload spacer I made for a friend's T/C Firehawk which suffered from the slow lock time problem. The long end goes inside the spring and the short end give an extra 5/16" preload and gave much quicker lock times.
Might work on the Model 97's, Whitetail, Bison and Shotguns.
Won't work for the Super 91's, the spring has to be open so the plunger stim can screw into the rear of the hammer. Only solution is a longer spring, unless I'm missing something...

Might work on the Model 97's, Whitetail, Bison and Shotguns.
Won't work for the Super 91's, the spring has to be open so the plunger stim can screw into the rear of the hammer. Only solution is a longer spring, unless I'm missing something...
Just build it with a hole through the center for the rod.

Back