Introducing a New Type of Cartridge for Modern Muzzleloaders with no Corrosive Oxidizers:

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great question.

I need to go back and recheck that with the new chronograph. I had a sabot deflect low and it destroyed the readout screen on my old chronograph. (The new one has a piece of polycarbonate I put over that part.) I also found out you need to check the muzzle velocity about 25 yards from the rifle with the type of chronograph I have, because if the sabot or cartridge goes through the chronograph it can give a bad reading.

I will try to recheck that sometime next week.

The QuickLoad computer program I use calculated 1903 fps with a 300 grain bullet out of a 24 inch barrel.

This picture shows a way the product could be packaged with the bullet/sabot/cartridge all together.

This matches the bullet weight and sabot type to the cartridge.

They could be attached together with a daub of hot-glue but leaving them separate also has some advantages.

Attachments

• SE209SC Packaging.jpg
    SE209SC Packaging.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
My Patent breech plug design was rejected by the Parent Office due to an late 19th Century cannon design.
I suspect you’ll get the same rejection - as you referenced above with the paper cartridge.
Good luck, non the less.

Have you tried the flatter breech plug vs the deep dish end plug? I would think the closest ignition would be better.
You are correct. Most modern Inline rifles seem to work fine in the testing we have done up to this point.

However, there may be a few which will need to change their breech plug.

Those will be cost prohibitive unless they can be reloaded by the user...

A box of 12 gauge Turkey loads might be considered "cost prohibitive" to some people, but not to the average turkey hunter because most of them do not reload their own shotgun shells.

The materials used in a cartridge plus sabot and bullet are no more expensive than the materials in a magnum shotgun shell.

I love the concept and I commend you for the development and application. I would be inclined to have a rifle set up for this if I can reuse/reload the cartridges. Unless the tubing is standard size, the cost to form or machine each tube and pack the charge would run in excess of the $3/shot range and have a hard time gaining attention. Firesticks are a one shot, no reload and will probably fall away really quickly unless a reloadable version becomes available. Current market would put these closer to $5/shot or more with recent cost increases in raw materials and labor. But then anything can be made in China at a lower price point. How many times have you reused the carriers?

I love the concept and I commend you for the development and application. I would be inclined to have a rifle set up for this if I can reuse/reload the cartridges. Unless the tubing is standard size, the cost to form or machine each tube and pack the charge would run in excess of the $3/shot range and have a hard time gaining attention. Firesticks are a one shot, no reload and will probably fall away really quickly unless a reloadable version becomes available. Current market would put these closer to $5/shot or more with recent cost increases in raw materials and labor. But then anything can be made in China at a lower price point. How many times have you reused the carriers?
This cartridge can be made of the same material used to make steel cased 308 rifle ammunition.

Although inflation was about 8.3 % last year, we can still buy steel cased 308 ammo for less than $5/shot.

Does the steelcase contact the rifling as it exits the barrel and if so will it have any long term negative effect on rifling? Or is the case metal softer than the barrel still so that it is not an issue,, and I love you idea I love to see people thinking and developing!

Does the steelcase contact the rifling as it exits the barrel and if so will it have any long term negative effect on rifling? Or is the case metal softer than the barrel still so that it is not an issue,, and I love you idea I love to see people thinking and developing!
Great question.

Like Steel cased 308 ammo, the outside can be coated with a thin layer of plastic to prevent barrel wear.

It can also be made of Aluminum tubing, which is a fairly soft metal.

Since the diam. is about 0.495", it floats down the barrel.

I a
Great question.

Like Steel cased 308 ammo, the outside can be coated with a thin layer of plastic to prevent barrel wear.

It can also be made of Aluminum tubing, which is a fairly soft metal.

Since the diam. is about 0.495", it floats down the barrel.
I am interested in this product so when it becomes available so COUNT ME IN!!

Steve

Back