Investarms .50 Hawken Value

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, Sparks has been closed for many years now. I used to frequent them when they were open. I liked to use their under ground target range.
I bought the Hawken at a pawn shop in downtown Charlestown.
Incredible price! Gunbroker prices have been around 400. Nice rifle! I think you're gonna like it. Mine do well with a 240gr XTP over 90 - 100 gr 777. I also added a Lyman 57SML peep. That green fiber optic front sight should work great! Nice!

Incredible price! Gunbroker prices have been around 400. Nice rifle! I think you're gonna like it. Mine do well with a 240gr XTP over 90 - 100 gr 777. I also added a Lyman 57SML peep. That green fiber optic front sight should work great! Nice!
I have the Lyman 57SML on some of my TC Renegades with small, green fiber optic front sight. They work great. Not sure I am going to invest anymore into this gun. The fiber optics I put on it were what I had laying around.

I have the Lyman 57SML on some of my TC Renegades with small, green fiber optic front sight. They work great. Not sure I am going to invest anymore into this gun. The fiber optics I put on it were what I had laying around.
As long as you can see them, all is well. I'm 66, and I can see the front sight, rear sight, or the target. Not all at once, though! I have 6 investarms, a few with scopes, a few with peeps. The original sights are not good...one of them has a TC peep. I prefer the Lyman. Its bulkier, but works better.

Hatchet Jack, you did real good on that gun!! I was in my local muzzleloader shop yesterday. They have one of those guns on the shelf, used, flintlock in .58 caliber, and they are asking $650 for it!!!

Cabelas sold sporterized Investarms guns in 2 forms: a fast-twist carbine with a 20" barrel and 1:24 twist and a 1:48 twist 'Hawken' with a 28" barrel in both 50 and 54 cal. Think I've seen the 'Hawken' offered in 58 as well. I have the 50 carbine and it has the chrome plated bore. From what I've seen, both Cabela guns had the chrome bore. As I recall, both guns had gotten quite expensive just before Cabelas stopped selling them...they cost as nearly as much as a TC Hawken (which was close to $500 at the time).

I paid $175 for the carbine barely used/unfired on a Gunbroker deal, so $100 was an excellent price. Mine is very accurate with sabots, but the sights are poor. Biggest fault is that the rear sight changes its elevation setting way too easily. Still, I like the gun and it is very handy as a 'knock-around' rifle.

Investarms made their Hawken to be sold under their own name as well. AFAIK only the Cabelas versions had chrome lined bores.

Cabelas sold sporterized Investarms guns in 2 forms: a fast-twist carbine with a 20" barrel and 1:24 twist and a 1:48 twist 'Hawken' with a 28" barrel in both 50 and 54 cal. Think I've seen the 'Hawken' offered in 58 as well. I have the 50 carbine and it has the chrome plated bore. From what I've seen, both Cabela guns had the chrome bore. As I recall, both guns had gotten quite expensive just before Cabelas stopped selling them...they cost as nearly as much as a TC Hawken (which was close to $500 at the time).

I paid $175 for the carbine barely used/unfired on a Gunbroker deal, so $100 was an excellent price. Mine is very accurate with sabots, but the sights are poor. Biggest fault is that the rear sight changes its elevation setting way too easily. Still, I like the gun and it is very handy as a 'knock-around' rifle.

Investarms made their Hawken to be sold under their own name as well. AFAIK only the Cabelas versions had chrome lined bores.
The carbine was either 1:24, or 1:48, in 50 or 54. The early ones didn't have the chrome bore. Investarms still makes them, but I'm not sure where to buy one. They are very good shooters, but the original sights are pretty much for decoration! Mine wear either a scope, or a Lyman 57SML. They go for around 350- 550, generally.

I started out when IMR rifle powder was $9.50. I took side jobs for $10 per hr and figured every hr was a pound of gun powder. I Imagine Black powder in 1986 was $8??

When I begin shooting black powder in the late sixties DuPont black powder was $1.53 a pound at a discount store in Tulsa, ok

When I begin shooting black powder in the late sixties DuPont black powder was $1.53 a pound at a discount store in Tulsa, ok

I hope you saved all those empty cans. They are likely worth $5.00 a piece just for a center piece.

Kidding aside, My earliest recall was $3.50 lb. My shooting buddies would go together and buy 10lbs for $3.15 a lb. Out at the good ole Winchester NSSA.

In the old days, I could buy lead and powder at the grocery store/variety store here in Albuq. I inherited a nice Hawken rifle from a friend, and gave it to his girlfriend's son, because he had shot it with my friend. Hoping to spark an interest in guns for him. I haven't kept in touch, so don't know if it worked.

At a recent funeral, I was reaquainted with a young man I took on a youth encouragement elk hunt several years ago. He is interested in hunting, but doesn't have the means (vehicle, job, gun). I gave him my number and told him I could take him. We need to encourage young hunters so they can buy up all the powder and bullets in the future. LOL

The guy that runs Frontier Muzzleloading Forum has made an art form out of refurbishing these older Italian & Spanish muzzleloading rifles, especially the "Hawkens".

The walnut hidden under the thick finish is often quite beautiful.

For $107.00 that rifle is a real good bargin.
That’s apparently some sort of European walnut with a very distinct grain. And nearly every one was finished with very dark stain or lacquer…

I purchased an Ivestarms 50 caliber "carbine" (the shorter barrel) new, in 1991 or '92. I think it was about $125 from an ad in Shotgun News.
It shoots round balls as accurately as you could ask from a hunting ML.

I need to purchase a new ramrod thimble for it.
Suggestions?

I purchased an Ivestarms 50 caliber "carbine" (the shorter barrel) new, in 1991 or '92. I think it was about $125 from an ad in Shotgun News.
It shoots round balls as accurately as you could ask from a hunting ML.

I need to purchase a new ramrod thimble for it.
Suggestions?
Your first stop should be flea bay, but they are not too hard to find. I assume it is the brass one, not the black. Either way, just do a Google search.

Latest posts

Back