Investarms 54 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one a Cabelas Investarms Sporterized Hawken .54 and its very well built gun with nice wood etc. Its also very accurate with patched round ball. I killed a buck and doe same day with mine 1st time I hunted with it, haven't taken it out hunting anymore since then but only because Ive got too many muzzleloaders.20200110_172006.jpg

Don't know much about them. Are they any good?
Mine was (a 50 rock lock) and the prettiest wood you would see on a Lyman and really nice finish ,and the guy I sold it to made mention of same . Function was great ,I just didn"t shoot it enough (maybe more guns than I need)but yup they work just fine./Ed

Mike, I‘m gonna go against the Grain here a Bit. I had one of these in .58 Cal that i Bought BRAND NEW unfired (Right there close by you :) Double Eagle Pawn in DP) Mine ended up having issues with Wood/Lock Fit, Binding, Just poor Quality, I tinkered with it Quite a Bit, I finally DUMPED it! I actually traded it Right back to Double Eagle Pawn for a .54 Cal TC Hawken. In my opinion, the TC Hawken is FAR AND AWAY SUPERIOR, The 2 of these (Cabelas/Investarms, And a TC Hawken) Shouldn’t even be mentioned in the Same Sentence.

I can’t Speak for all of them, Maybe i got a Monday, or Friday Built Gun? :)

I personally won’t own another one. I feel about the Same way with my Lyman Great Plains, it’s an OK Rifle, But i wouldn’t buy another one

Ive got the Renegade, T/C Hawken in 50 and .54 plus the Investarms and I like the Investarms better then any of the T/C guns.. as I said fit/finish is very good, points as good as the T/C and shoots as well.. I believe the newer Lymans/Investarms are not near the quality of the older ones.. had another Investarms Hawken that was built very well w/nice wood also and it was a older one.
Another thing I like about the Investarms are the chrome lined bores dont foul as bad and clean up very easily.

Ive got the Renegade, T/C Hawken in 50 and .54 plus the Investarms and I like the Investarms better then any of the T/C guns.. as I said fit/finish is very good, points as good as the T/C and shoots as well.. I believe the newer Lymans/Investarms are not near the quality of the older ones.. had another Investarms Hawken that was built very well w/nice wood also and it was a older one.
Another thing I like about the Investarms are the chrome lined bores dont foul as bad and clean up very easily.

I have heard the Same thing Dean, About the Old Investarms being Really Good Quality, well made. The Cabelas Investarms i spoke of above Was definitely a Newer Gun, And this .54 Cal Lyman Great Plains (Also Investarms) is the 1st Brand New Muzzleloader i ever Bought. Both Examples i Speak of are PISS POOR Quality, Poor Fit & Finish, Etc. They DON’T Hold a Candle to my TC Hawken’s and Renegades, NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE

Last edited:
Thank you and I appreciate the quick answers. A friend is getting this rifle and asked me about it and I truly didn't have a clue. I'm assuming it's a 1-48 but not sure. What normally shoots good out of a 54?

Mike

Thank you and I appreciate the quick answers. A friend is getting this rifle and asked me about it and I truly didn't have a clue. I'm assuming it's a 1-48 but not sure. What normally shoots good out of a 54?

Mike

My Test, findings with the 1:48 Twist 54 Cal and Bullets was VERY Good, I shot my Lyman Plains at 460 Grains really Well, and Even my Largest 650 Grain Paper Patch Bullet did good in it. The 1:48 Twist in .54 Cal makes the best Sense of the Calibers/Twist.

Patched Roundball also Shoots REALLY well in .54 Cal 1:48 Twist, Just find the Patch/Ball Combo that works best :lewis:

I can’t Speak for all of them, Maybe i got a Monday, or Friday Built Gun? :)
Amen brother
I personally won’t own another one. I feel about the Same way with my Lyman Great Plains, it’s an OK Rifle, But i wouldn’t buy another one

They also sold a fast twist carbine model. It was a 54cal 1-24 twist. I think the 50 carbine was also a 1-24. Cant remember if the super rare 45 was a 1-24 or if it was a 1-20.

my lyman cabelas investarms 50 is 1:24. lyman cabelas investarms is a good starter gun but i'll take a tc renegade or hawken any day. i own 6 tc's 50 to 58. i own 4 lyman cabelas investarms 50 to 58 they look good on the wall. but never i repeat never a Spanish barrel , i repeat don't do it

I own two; a .45 and a .58. Accurate with round ball or Maxi. Light, easy handling and accurate. Not exactly PC or HC, but more comfortable to shoot than a TC. Forgot to mention, mine are both left handed cap locks with the recoil pad, etc.

ADK Bigfoot

Back