Iron Sight Picture

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMDC

Reaction score
Old eyes having trouble with fuzzy front sight using aperture sight set up. Part of the problem seems to be caused by the light reflecting off the stainless barrel. This might be a strange question but any suggestions how to reduce the glare. Thought of sight black but that would be really messy to handle. Don't want to use flat black paint unless it could be easily removed. Any ideas? Thanks!

Sand blast,bead blast the barrel.

Thought about that but was concerned about shiny finish of electrical tape. Can't hurt to try. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good idea as bead blasting would surely work. Present hunt requires the iron sights but this rifle is also used most of the time with a scope so hesitant to go that route if a more temporary option is feasible.

Flat black primer spray can. Can be removed with lacquer thinner later.

I like that idea! Could use masking tape to just paint a stripe along top of barrel. Lacquer thinner works even after paint set up?

Yes lacquer thinner will remove dried paint. I have painted the whole rifle before and removed it a couple years later using lacquer thinner.

I will buy a can of paint tomorrow. Degrease, tape and paint the barrel this week. Definitely worth a try to see if it improves the situation. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks.

2201F3C5-FBFA-44E8-BCA3-06BF29E0B333.jpeg A5C527B4-8B37-41DF-B46F-DFF378033A7C.jpeg Using a blade sight? Reflection could be from rear breech to barrel mounted sight area. Vs rear to front sight?
Would a rear mounted peep work. Older eye friendly . ( as I fit in the category )
In my own case where I hunt in iron sight only areas I do this.
On my Knights and Rem’s I like my scopes.Used detachable rings.
But when going “iron” I use XS Sights Low Weaver Backup Ghost Ring- peep.
WB-2000N-L.
The underneath side of the peep might need some radius relief to sit on the barrel. Mine did.
CVA . Williams “Ace in the Hole “ Built in rear sight on scope mount rail.
They work great. I have range tested switching scope to peep to scope and back again. POI very negligible if at all. Tested up to 200 yds.
Scope and rings used of course are subjective doing this.
Other. Maybe use some camo bow tape or black friction tape.

My uncle was a Palma shooter and he had things that were made of black elastic material that went along the top of the barrel. Like from one sight to the other. They were like an inch wide on his target guns but they could probably be more like 3/4”.

What I finally settled on was something a friend recommended called "gaffer's tape". It's not expensive, comes in flat black, various widths, adheres well to degreased barrel and leaves no tape residue when removed. Got some in 3/4" width and ran strip front to back sight. Only issue is the roll is far more than a person would ever use for this purpose. If anyone would like to try some send me a pm and I will wrap some around a piece of cardboard and send it your way. Thanks for all the responses and good suggestions.

Latest posts

Back