Is 3900 fps possible?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Ames

Reaction score
On another forum a member is talking about 3,900 fps with 320 gr. 45 cal SML. This was witnessed by another shooter and chronographed on 2 separate chrono's. They were getting these speeds with IMR 7828 SSC and
VV N165. I have looked all over and can't find any data on these slow powders. Using IMR 4198 I got to 3000 fps and my Arrowhead magnum modules were getting tight in the depriming shell holder so I backed off to 2800 fps. They were talking about 338 Lapua long range performance. Is there anywhere that I could go to find out about these types of slow powders and their safe use in SML's.

My accuracy with 4198 is fantastic and neither of the above powders is available here right now but curious if the slower powders have a place in the new SML's. I also wonder if anyone has a source on Alliant powders like RL-16, RL 23 for use in SML's?
My SML
Blueprinted 700 Magnum action
Bartlein 26" heavy Palma SS barrel, 45 cal with 1 in 20 twist (6 inch tenon)
10 gill brake
Trigger Tech trigger
Macmillan stock
Arrowhead magnum ignition system

SML, 45 cal..jpg45 SML 300 yard.jpg

I obviously don't need any accuracy help, but the recoil at 3000 was getting very noticeable and if the slower powders give a more comfortable recoil impulse I would like to get back to 3000 fps safely.

Last edited:
I know the 2 guys who are pushing these speeds with 325 Aeromax bullets and heavy doses of 7828ssc powder. These rifles have very heavy barrels, 1 is a 2" dia bull barrel and the rifle weighs 68lbs. Both rifles have powder chambers to keep the powder column a bit shorter. When these rifles are fired they will get your attention.

I know the 2 guys who are pushing these speeds with 325 Aeromax bullets and heavy doses of 7828ssc powder. These rifles have very heavy barrels, 1 is a 2" dia bull barrel and the rifle weighs 68lbs. Both rifles have powder chambers to keep the powder column a bit shorter. When these rifles are fired they will get your attention.
Correction, they are shooting 350gr Aeromax bullets @ 3900+ fps.

The 68# makes it seem possible. Can't imagine what that recoil would be like in my 13.5# rifle. I can imagine those loads would blow my rifle and me to smithereens!

I would suggest loading safe loads for accuracy only. Trying to set speed records with powder is a dangerous way to pass the day. Its like mountain climbing without a safety rope, or living with grizzly bears like they are humans. It only takes one mistake or one occasion and your over the line. Once over you cant get back. Your dead.

The 68# makes it seem possible. Can't imagine what that recoil would be like in my 13.5# rifle. I can imagine those loads would blow my rifle and me to smithereens!
You are correct, without the powder chamber, extra weight and a good muzzle brake, it is not likely these (purpose built, by an accomplished riflesmith) rifles would stay together with 180+gr of powder. There was a lot of homework that went in to the load development, of that I am sure. (Mini Howitzers)

I had never heard of having a chamber milled into your barrel for smokeless muzzle loader until now. Learning new things every day. I don’t plan to do anything in the way of chasing after a speed record I was just wondering if using the slower power would allow a little bit more velocity but manage the recoil impulse a little bit better.
I am obviously very happy with my accuracy from my current system. I don’t want to give that up for a little bit more velocity.

Scott
4198 is a very good powder and it works great in a 45 especially with 275-300 gr bullets.
U are correct on the slower burning powder producing more velocity if ur rifle is built to withstand the pressure.
It’s not uncommon to shoot 3200-3250 with a 300 gr Areomax and H 4895 in a hunting rifle.
Once again, this is not a load for break actions or barrel nut guns or even some bolt guns without barrel nuts. Also the recoil is quite stout. Make sure ur rifle and ur shoulder can handle it before experimenting with slower burning powders.

On another forum a member is talking about 3,900 fps with 320 gr. 45 cal SML. This was witnessed by another shooter and chronographed on 2 separate chrono's. They were getting these speeds with IMR 7828 SSC and
VV N165. I have looked all over and can't find any data on these slow powders. Using IMR 4198 I got to 3000 fps and my Arrowhead magnum modules were getting tight in the depriming shell holder so I backed off to 2800 fps. They were talking about 338 Lapua long range performance. Is there anywhere that I could go to find out about these types of slow powders and their safe use in SML's.

My accuracy with 4198 is fantastic and neither of the above powders is available here right now but curious if the slower powders have a place in the new SML's. I also wonder if anyone has a source on Alliant powders like RL-16, RL 23 for use in SML's?
My SML
Blueprinted 700 Magnum action
Bartlein 26" heavy Palma SS barrel, 45 cal with 1 in 20 twist (6 inch tenon)
10 gill brake
Trigger Tech trigger
Macmillan stock
Arrowhead magnum ignition system

View attachment 21636View attachment 21637

I obviously don't need any accuracy help, but the recoil at 3000 was getting very noticeable and if the slower powders give a more comfortable recoil impulse I would like to get back to 3000 fps safely.
I'm not sure where you can find anything posted on that type of loads. If you want a safe rifle to handle that without worry of blowing your body parts off. I use Jeff Hankins the builder of the Cyclops worlds fastest MZL. He has tested his equipment and the guns he's built for me. I would start out using his data rather than being a test dummy. RL-16, IMR 4198, and H4895 which is lower pressure than IMR 4895 have yielded great results for me with speed and accuracy! Custom Rifles - Muzzleloaders

Latest posts

Back