Is it legal to store a muzzleloader in a self-storage unit?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balkoth89

Reaction score
Hello,

I am moving all of my stuff out of my apartment and into a storage unit. I read that UHaul units prohibit the storage of hazardous materials (explosives, ammunition...) which is fine, I can keep my pelletized powder and primers stored separately, outside of the storage unit. But what about an unloaded muzzleloader? I can't find any information on the websites of a handful of self-storage facilities in my city regarding the legality of storing firearms - they aren't considered hazardous materials themselves right?

The only information I found was on Yahoo answers or something and someone said that it is absolutely illegal to store firearms in storage units. Why wouldn't that information be on the storage units' websites? I live in California and my parents are going to be renting the unit, so I wouldn't want them to get in trouble for the muzzleloader being stored there, which I am going to try to avoid telling them about (I'm going to hide it in a trash bag bundled up with a shovel, baseball bat and such) because I don't want them to know I own it. Anyway I wanted to see if anyone knows about this, thanks!

I don"t know about California ,I think every thing is illegal if it"s fun but alot of states don"t consider them firearms . If your hiding it as described at least leave a note with your contact info so it does not involve your parents . Do that and assume the liability and I think your good (but I ain"t from there) and will never be /but that's just me /Ed

Legality is one thing, company policy is another. I doubt it’s illegal in most places but I have used storage facilities in the past and some of them specifically exclude firearms and ammunition.

Ever storage facility I’ve dealt with has had rules in the contract stating what can or can’t be stored. Contact the facility and ask to look at the contract. Or ask if it’s okay.
As for hiding it I wouldn’t store it in a plastic bag. Good way to attract moisture and ruin the gun.

Hello,

I live in California and my parents are going to be renting the unit, so I wouldn't want them to get in trouble for the muzzleloader being stored there, which I am going to try to avoid telling them about (I'm going to hide it in a trash bag bundled up with a shovel, baseball bat and such) because I don't want them to know I own it.

This in and of itself is troublesome for me. I sure as heck wouldn't store and gun, let alone a muzzleloader, in a storage site for any reason. I'd tell them its your gun and to get over it. Unless of course there is some other reason you need it hidden. That last paragraph just rubs me the wrong way. So what's up with it?

Ever storage facility I’ve dealt with has had rules in the contract stating what can or can’t be stored. Contact the facility and ask to look at the contract. Or ask if it’s okay.
As for hiding it I wouldn’t store it in a plastic bag. Good way to attract moisture and ruin the gun.
Sounds like a good idea, it actually just occurred to me today that calling the facility or emailing them would be smart. As for the plastic bag - I have the gun in a zippered gun carrying case, the kind you can buy at Big 5, so I don't know if moisture would still be a problem if it were stored in that with a garbage bag around it.

I would be concerned about moisture. I would suggest that you get some moisture pellets and switch them out or rejuvenate them from time to time. Also keep the gun well oiled as well for long term storage.

Latest posts

Back