Is there a difference in Primers??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a CVA Wolf 50 caliber. I have .50 caliber Aerotip Powerbelt bullets for it, and was able to order some 50/50 pellets off the Hodgdon web site. I wanted to use Triple Seven Winchester 209 primers and cannot find them anywhere. I was able to get a box of100 CCI Magnum 209 primers. Will they work the same as the Winchester brand?

I would try them out I have tried them all they all work just fine I use white shots and don't get the dreaded crud ring at the range I shoot 5 times and brush and swab and replace the breach plug, I have 3 breach plugs ,2 for 209 primers using pellets. One for loose powder black hills 209powder. Keep your breach plug primer ignition flash hole clean all the way thru, look thru it and you will see light. I use very small drill bits with my fingers to clean the holes. Do not drill them out bigger or put drill bits in any kind of drill motor,just fingers twisting the bits. I put electrical tape on the shank for better grip

In my Accura V2, the Winchester 209's fit tight and I get no blow back. The theory of the 777 209's is that regular primers can move the bullet down the barrel before the powder is fully ignited. Many people think that is just a gimmick. But they do decrease the crud ring. I lick a patch and swab between shots, and the crud ring isn't a problem. I haven't seen the 777 primers on the shelf for a couple of years. I picked up some old, old Federal 410 primers at a gun show, and they work fine, but don't seal well.

Yes, the hotter primers may give you more of a crud ring, but they will work fine. The T7 primers will ignite T7, Pyrodex, black, etc... just don't use them with BH209. They're not as hot as recommended for that powder.

Latest posts

Back